Do eVIP requests clear immediately if EF shows C7?

 
Old Jan 16, 09, 8:05 pm
  #16  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: SNA, LAX
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,291
I am looking into tickets ORD-DEL for mid-March and seeing C7. Is this a common occurence to have so many seats open to eVIP upgrades this far in advance?
riteshraja is offline  
Old Jan 16, 09, 8:09 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: OKC/DFW
Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Posts: 9,999
Originally Posted by billgrates3 View Post
You should have called back immediately after the 1st aagent told you that the itin had to be ticketed. Another aagent would have locked in the upgrade while it was on hold (see my earlier post).
Of course, he should have. And I'm sure he would have had he known the first agent was wrong. I'm also sure, now that he's read this thread, he will do so in the future.

Originally Posted by timfountain
Yep, I got one of those agents last month before I read this thread.
oklAAhoma is offline  
Old Jan 16, 09, 8:13 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SFO/OAK
Programs: AA PPro 3.3MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Posts: 2,686
Isn't FT RULE#1 "Call back if you don't like what the aagent is telling you!"??
billgrates3 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 09, 8:17 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: OKC/DFW
Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Posts: 9,999
Originally Posted by billgrates3 View Post
FYI - I have often had eVIP "C" upgrades clear without ever receiving an EF alert that I had previously setup.
As have I. Sometimes the availability comes and goes before EF is aware it existed. I did not intend to imply that setting up an EF alert guarantees results, only that it can help to improve one's chance of securing an upgrade.
oklAAhoma is offline  
Old Jan 16, 09, 8:26 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: OKC/DFW
Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Posts: 9,999
Originally Posted by riteshraja View Post
I am looking into tickets ORD-DEL for mid-March and seeing C7. Is this a common occurence to have so many seats open to eVIP upgrades this far in advance?
IME availability varies so much from route to route, as well as from day to day on a given route, that it would be hard to define anything as common or uncommon.
oklAAhoma is offline  
Old Jan 16, 09, 9:12 pm
  #21  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,960
Originally Posted by billgrates3 View Post
Isn't FT RULE#1 "Call back if you don't like what the aagent is telling you!"??
Actually, that's FT Rule #2. FT Rule #1: "Don't believe everything that you read."
dayone is offline  
Old Jan 16, 09, 9:31 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,307
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Mine often clear when ExpertFlyer shows C0 or A0.
I recently tried to apply an eVIP to an itin where there was no C availability. I have access to SABRE, so went in and look at the reservation to make sure everything was waitlisted properly, and noticed that the EXP agent had queued my PNR to a 'market analyst' after the eVIP was applied and the availability was C0. 6 hours later a comment was placed in the PNR from the analyst: 'can not confirm.' So, apparently, if RM determines that it can't sell the seat for revenue, they will release the inventory and confirm your request. That's probably why upgrades get confirmed even when C=0
denCSA is offline  
Old Jan 16, 09, 10:18 pm
  #23  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: AA PLT
Posts: 1,615
Originally Posted by denCSA View Post
So, apparently, if RM determines that it can't sell the seat for revenue, they will release the inventory and confirm your request. That's probably why upgrades get confirmed even when C=0
Yep, that's pretty well known. But I think folks are talking about upgrades that clear without calls to RM when C=0, which is usually because of expanded (and invisible to mere mortals) C availabilty for EXPs.
Gandhi90s is offline  
Old Jan 17, 09, 12:48 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LAS
Programs: AA EXP (2MM)
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by billgrates3 View Post
You should have called back immediately after the 1st aagent told you that the itin had to be ticketed. Another aagent would have locked in the upgrade while it was on hold (see my earlier post).

I really don't understand why they don't let EXPs apply their own eVIPs online (either at hold time or ticketing time) when the system knows that there is "C" and/or "A" inventory available????


FYI - I have often had eVIP "C" upgrades clear without ever receiving an EF alert that I had previously setup.
That just happened to me. I had already cleared the evip upgrade for my upcoming business trip LAX-SCL (via DFW) on 1/18. My return had not cleared as of this morning. When I checked my reservation this evening (return 1/23-SCL-MIA), my evip had cleared with no notification from EF, even though I had a EF alert set up.
OCJoe is offline  
Old Jan 17, 09, 1:35 am
  #25  
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,831
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma View Post
Yes, it is indeed possible. I've discovered, however, that there are a few EXP agents who are unaware it can be done.
Ding ding ding ding
HNL is offline  
Old Jan 17, 09, 4:35 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: IST/DFW/GRU
Programs: AA EXP 0.8MM, Skyward, SPG Gold
Posts: 171
Originally Posted by OCJoe View Post
That just happened to me. I had already cleared the evip upgrade for my upcoming business trip LAX-SCL (via DFW) on 1/18. My return had not cleared as of this morning. When I checked my reservation this evening (return 1/23-SCL-MIA), my evip had cleared with no notification from EF, even though I had a EF alert set up.
When EF shows C1, doesn't it mean that it already cleared everyone waitlisted? That explain why you can clear without getting an alert, correct? It doesn't make sense to be waitlisted and get an alert.... I still set up alerts just to make sure that waitlist VIPs are put in place correctly.
IST_flyer is offline  
Old Jan 17, 09, 7:35 am
  #27  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: AA PLT
Posts: 1,615
Originally Posted by IST_flyer View Post
When EF shows C1, doesn't it mean that it already cleared everyone waitlisted? That explain why you can clear without getting an alert, correct?
No and no.

There is often a delay between C availability and C allocation.

EF polls periodically, not continuously.
Gandhi90s is offline  
Old Jan 17, 09, 7:45 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Posts: 3,075
Originally Posted by Gandhi90s View Post
No and no.

There is often a delay between C availability and C allocation.

EF polls periodically, not continuously.
Eh, I think you and IST_flyer are saying the same thing (i.e., yes and yes). Since EF doesn't poll continuously, it doesn't know when someone clears the waitlist, it will only notice availability if more seats open up than there were people waitlisted. If there are still people waitlisted after some clearing, C will be 0 and by the time EF polls there will be no availaibilty to notify anyone about.
Hagbard Viking is offline  
Old Jan 17, 09, 9:28 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: OKC/DFW
Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Posts: 9,999
Originally Posted by IST_flyer View Post
When EF shows C1, doesn't it mean that it already cleared everyone waitlisted? That explain why you can clear without getting an alert, correct?
I'm with Gandhi90s on this one, no and no.

EF shows C1 when it finds there is 1 available in the C bucket. Period. It has nothing to do with who has or has not been upgraded (or waitlisted).

Originally Posted by IST_flyer View Post
It doesn't make sense to be waitlisted and get an alert.... I still set up alerts just to make sure that waitlist VIPs are put in place correctly.
While there are times my upgrade has cleared before EF was aware there was availability, there are other times when EF alerted me to availability and I was able to call in and grab the upgrade. Now, it's possible I would have automatically received that upgrade anyway and my call was unnecessary, but I prefer increasing the odds of upgrading however I can, so I set up alerts. EF has notified me of upgrade availability frequently enough that I find it makes perfect sense to use the program. Obviously YMMV.

Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking View Post
Since EF doesn't poll continuously, it doesn't know when someone clears the waitlist, it will only notice availability if more seats open up than there were people waitlisted.
As I said before, EF availability has nothing to do with the waitlist or upgrades. If there is availability when EF polls, an alert is sent. You seem to be under the impression that upgrades are issued the same instance availability is released. IME that is not how it works and there is frequently a time lag between the two events. It's on those ocasions that EF proves valuable.

Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking View Post
by the time EF polls there will be no availaibilty to notify anyone about
My experience leads me to believe that is not always the case.
oklAAhoma is offline  
Old Jan 17, 09, 9:45 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Posts: 3,075
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma View Post
You seem to be under the impression that upgrades are issued the same instance availability is released.
Yes, I was under the impression that the implementation of the waitlist was (correctly done) such that whoever is first on the waitlist gets served first when availability opens up. It seems I may have been overly optimistic...
Hagbard Viking is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread