Wiki Posts
Search

incorrectly given exp??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2009, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by aktchi
This is getting more interesting: So if you are PLT when you book the ticket and lose status before flying, or before the return flight, you still continue to enjoy the PLT benefits like lounge access? But surely the card would show expiration?
You rarely, if ever, need to show your card (except perhaps at BA lounges).
Old Jan 17, 2009, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aktchi
This is getting more interesting: So if you are PLT when you book the ticket and lose status before flying, or before the return flight, you still continue to enjoy the PLT benefits like lounge access? But surely the card would show expiration?
This is why the BA lounge dragons demand to see the card. BA knows about this loophole. The other Oneworld carriers either don't know or don't care.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
The other Oneworld carriers either don't know or don't care.
The other Oneworld carriers either don't know - Sure they do

don't care - probably
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:07 pm

I'm curious if OP has some kind of corporate contract with AA or uses a particular travel service. Sometimes they are known to provide names to AA, although it is not usually to EXP level.
For these kinds of things, my general rule is to avoid drawing attention to yourself, and enjoy the perks when/if they arise.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 5:08 pm
rhl
Original Poster

Programs: 2m miler, PLT for life
I have no business contacts with AA. I book all my travel personally, through aa.com. I'm still confused.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rhl
I guess I'll just call them and find out. If it was an OP up to keep my business, I'd love to know about it.
What was their answer? Was it an Op-up to keep your business?
Old Jan 18, 2009, 5:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rhl
I have no business contacts with AA. I book all my travel personally, through aa.com. I'm still confused.
Well, I know the running advice here seems to be "shhhh!!!" don't say anything and all that. However, the reality is that if AA.com and the phone line is the only piece of the entire AA Corp puzzle that thinks your Exp and none of the rest of the system "knows" then I'm really not sure how much value this really is for you, other than the logo Exp on AA.com... you really are probably going to have to call.

I guess one thing to try would simply be to call the Exp desk and ask what your current eVIP balance is. If the answer is zero then the gig is probably up (unless of course you had remaining eVIPs from other situations).

Regards
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:43 pm
rhl
Original Poster

The phone system says EXP, online says EXP, so I get to book tickets and not be charged for upgrades (if I'm not buying F/J). My flight on Wednesday, once I get back from Milan and connect right on to Dallas then Austin (UGH!), is a ticket that was purchased after the status changed. If that one says EXP then I'll know that it's real.

I just don't see how they could screw this up and accidentally give out something like EXP.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:24 pm
rhl
Original Poster

Finished my return from Milan today. My boarding pass and subsequent tickets all showed EXP. Which when I checked in for the outbound it showed PLT on my boarding pass on the way here to Milan.

I got into JFK, dropped my connecting bags and went up to the club where they directed me to the Flagship (not sure why since I'm in first to Dallas as EXP but I didn't think that qualified for Flagship). I'm guessing it's as an arrival from Milan flight?

Took a shower, which are pretty nice and am eating tiny sandwiches while waiting for my Dallas flight. Everything shows EXP now. Still don't get it and now that I'm getting the perks at the airport too, I'm not going to try my luck to call and find out how I got the status.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP (Lifetime Plat)
Originally Posted by rhl
Finished my return from Milan today. My boarding pass and subsequent tickets all showed EXP. Which when I checked in for the outbound it showed PLT on my boarding pass on the way here to Milan.

I got into JFK, dropped my connecting bags and went up to the club where they directed me to the Flagship (not sure why since I'm in first to Dallas as EXP but I didn't think that qualified for Flagship). I'm guessing it's as an arrival from Milan flight?

Took a shower, which are pretty nice and am eating tiny sandwiches while waiting for my Dallas flight. Everything shows EXP now. Still don't get it and now that I'm getting the perks at the airport too, I'm not going to try my luck to call and find out how I got the status.
Sweet. While you are at it, might as well change your signature here to EXP! Enjoy it while you can.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by rhl

Are you going to change your profile, or not tempt fate?

Seriously, congratulations on your apparent good luck!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:42 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kkirk2
Sweet. While you are at it, might as well change your signature here to EXP! Enjoy it while you can.
Originally Posted by Gandhi90s
Are you going to change your profile, or not tempt fate?
I had the same thought. With the luck she's having, though, AA will probably changer her FT profile as well

Cheers.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:47 pm

When you attempt to upgrade a domestic ticket that you are in the process of booking, does it say "0 upgrades required?"
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by rhl
... I got into JFK, dropped my connecting bags and went up to the club where they directed me to the Flagship (not sure why since I'm in first to Dallas as EXP but I didn't think that qualified for Flagship). I'm guessing it's as an arrival from Milan flight? ...
Yup, a same day international connection.

Last edited by serfty; Jan 21, 2009 at 2:59 pm
Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by rhl
...<<<snipped>>>... I'm not going to try my luck to call and find out how I got the status.
The suspense is killing me! I stay awake all night checking FT often to see if you'e found out the reason for your EXP status.

Can you please call AA to solve this mystery and report your findings here so that I can then get a full nights sleep again ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.