Recommendations for best routing, J seats, SFO-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:47 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by justforfun
MIA has an IFL, if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, there is a FL in MIA, just recently opened. Will be there in mere hours, so I hope it still exists

Cheers.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 1:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by sambb
you may enjoy it at lax, ord, or MIA but at lhr it is a joke and should be avoided in lieu of the ba lounges (t5) or cx in t3.
I was in the MIA FL last week and it's very pleasant. At LHR while waiting for your BUD flight (I've done it a couple of times and it's actually quite comfy in Y in an exit row) you'll have access to the BA Galleries First Lounge in T5 courtesy of your Oneworld Emerald status. It's well worth the visit and I recommend availing yourself of the shower facilities between Galleries First and the Concorde Room.

As an EXP/Emerald you'll also be able to utilise BA's MMB (Manage My Booking) facility to choose seats on your BA flights prior to the 24 hour online check in window.

Plan on using the CX First Class Lounge in T3 on your return.

Last edited by photodave; Jan 16, 2009 at 1:41 am Reason: additional info
Old Jan 16, 2009, 2:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
a tip re: T5 Galleries First -
There's often a line waiting for a shower, so get your call buzzer at the shower desk first before going for food/coffee whatever.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for the advice, folks!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 5.07MM; Marriott Lifetime Pt; Hyatt Diam; Avis
Originally Posted by gemac
As you are EXP, I would point out that LAX and ORD have Flagship Lounges (as does JFK, which I wouldn't recommend). DFW and MIA do not.

In general, I'm with those who would take LAX outbound if you can get the upgrade confirmed on ticketing. If not, I would take the routing that would give upgrade on ticketing. If upgrade is available on all routes, I would take LAX first, then ORD in the summer/DFW in the winter.
MIA's FL Lounge re-opened on Dec 16th... they are fully functional now and should be getting the new furniture anytime now.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by justforfun
Don't place too much priority on LHR-BUD in J. Unless the extra cost is just marginal, it's just not worth it. Recently did a LHR-ATH in CE on BA, and actually found myself wishing I were in an MD-80 in F. Yeah, that bad.
Very good advice.

No way I'd ever book 2 tickets on this trip just to get in J on the LHR-BUD segment.

As an EXP you'll already get lounge access, so the only thing J gives you is a free middle seat (if you're on the ABC side), warm bread, and a slightly larger but still mediocre meal. You'll still get a snack and free drinks in the back.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
I'm flying SFO-JFK-LHR in Y next week...I hate connecting at ORD-even though I lived there for 30+ years.

Even though SFO/SJC-LAX-LHR is my favourite as well, I chose SFO-JFK-LHR over the other routings because it was the only flight I could get the exit row on without taking chances. My return flight is LHR-LAX-SFO...but it is moot in a way in that its a day flight so there isn't as much sleeping, if any.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ceteris Paribus
MIA's FL Lounge re-opened on Dec 16th... they are fully functional now and should be getting the new furniture anytime now.
I see. I knew there wasn't one there a few months ago. I don't think I would route SFO-LHR through MIA, though, unless the extra mileage was important to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.