Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Connecting passengers trump originating pax on airport upgrade list (-T designation)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting passengers trump originating pax on airport upgrade list (-T designation)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2009, 4:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Deleting quoted post and my subsequently irrelevant question per brp's wise advice.

Don't want to muddy the waters any further.

Last edited by RChavez; Oct 22, 2009 at 4:52 pm
Old Oct 22, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
DELETED

Last edited by miamigrad; Oct 23, 2009 at 9:11 am Reason: No longer relevant
Old Oct 22, 2009, 4:18 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by miamigrad
Reference the link in the post immediately before yours (#35). In that thread, jrhone indicates that a typo was made.
Excellent point. jakuda may want to delete his/her post as incorrect. And all folks quoting it may want to remove the reference as well.

Cheers.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think some airlines (whether casually or formally) use the terms "through" and "connecting" differently, with through narrowly used for people remaining on the same aircraft at the hub. I wonder if that's part of the confusion?

Also, "local" or "originating" is confusing - at least to passengers - because I'd never refer to myself as "originating" when I'm using the return part of a round-trip ticket.

Again, the proper definitions in AA's systems may be different from the way we use the terms. The "through" thing I hear from FA's frequently...usually in reference to "counting the through pax" after people deplane.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by brp
Excellent point. jakuda may want to delete his/her post as incorrect. And all folks quoting it may want to remove the reference as well.

Cheers.
Ah. The 2006 "PALL list" thread was never updated, so I always assumed what jrhone said about "through" pax was correct even though it didn't make sense.

I'll edit my previous posts in this thread.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
MIA, NYC and LA flyers benefit greatly from this.

ORD and DFW flyers are hurt by it.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been in the wiki at http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index..._list_%28AA%29 for a long, long, long time.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546

NYC, specifically JFK flyers are hurt somewhat, though probably not as bad as ORD and DFW flyers, especially in the morning when competing with early morning South America arrivals and in the afternoon and evening when competing with inbound Europe arrivals heading west. Also, we have to compete with the various Eagle flights (BOS, DCA, RDU, etc). LGA and EWR less so although I've heard more than once FA announcements for people (FTers?) arriving LGA from ORD connecting to DFW or MIA and vice versa.

Originally Posted by MilesToGoBeforeISleep
I often do JFK-SFO-JFK in the same day - (not as a MR - well not intentionally ) by taking the morning flight - meeting in SFO and taking the last flight or the red-eye home - since the flight is same day, does that make me a through passenger?
Originally Posted by metsfan1962
Related to what MilesToGoBeforeISleep wrote a few posts prior, if you're doing a same day MR (intentionally or unintentionally) and you were issued all your BPs previously, doesn't that make you a through/connecting passenger? In a sense, if I didn't "originate" in LAX or SFO as in checking in at their ticket counter or kiosk, going through security, etc. aren't I really just connecting there for my trip back east?
If your flight involves returning to your airport of origin, even on the same day, you are not considered a through pax whether or not you have all your BPs or don't go through security again. You would be considered through however if you were flying JFK-SFO-BOS for example
Old Oct 22, 2009, 5:54 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MAH4546

Originally Posted by RxCapt
NYC, specifically JFK flyers are hurt somewhat, though probably not as bad as ORD and DFW flyers,
SJC fliers are never hurt by this. Just by the lack of any flights

Cheers.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by brp
SJC fliers are never hurt by this.
Except those flying ORD-SJC-DFW and back!
Old Oct 23, 2009, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by pjoalfa
The connections bit is certainly true. I ended up #2 on the connecting upgrade list on a flight where I'm certain I wasn't the first to request an upgrade, the connection definitely bumped me. Now as to the other critera, I kinda doubt it. I don't think they can make it that sophisticated with the tools they use today.. As I mentioned I was #2 on that list, my wife was #1. She is PLT, on the same PNR as me. Had 1 seat opened, they'd have upgraded her over me. Figure that one out.
Re: The other criteria. I agree the computer isn't going to do it.... but I am quite sure the GA has the ability to consider other factors and force an upgrade, if they desire to, based on what they think the priority should be. I am not saying this is policy, but I know damn sure it happened to me on a flgiht from HNL a few years back, when a known non-rev got an upgrade and I didn't. I suspect she was also traveling with non-revs that got the upgrade.. I know for certain she was a non-rev, and not traveling on airline business. So, yes, I am resentful.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 3:13 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by FlightFanatic
The upgrade list order is:

UPG1T - EXP Through Traveler
UPG1 - EXP Local Traveler
UPG2T - PLT Through Traveler
UPG2 - PLT Local Traveler
UPG3T - GLD Through Traveler
UPG3 - GLD Local Traveler
UPGT - Non-Elite Through Traveler
UPG - Non-Elite Local Traveler
UPGET - Employee Through Traveler
UPGE - Employee Local Traveler

If two EXP are on the upgrade list as through (T) travelers, then check-in time should determine the order.
Glad to hear this. No connections at my originating city.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by videomaker

It's rare that I can beat the prices from DFW when originating in another city. YMMV.
It is a well accepted fact (Here on FT, at least) that ORD-DFW originating fares are usually higher than connecting through them to the same destination. Sure, it may be cheaper sometimes, but when there is less competition out of DFW/ORD, the fares will jump up.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:06 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by hillrider
It's been in the wiki at http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index..._list_%28AA%29 for a long, long, long time.
To be sure.

However, I'm not 100% certain that this has been explicitly discussed here previously. It may be buried somewhere in the main thread, but I searched and could not find it. So, I've added this thread to the links on the PALL List wiki page.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:53 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
Re: The other criteria. I agree the computer isn't going to do it.... but I am quite sure the GA has the ability to consider other factors and force an upgrade, if they desire to, .....
I agree. A while back I took a bump on the sfo-dfw red-eye giving up my already cleared upgrade. For the 6am flight I was #1 on the upgrade list.

Did not clear and was placed in the same coach row with #2 (another exp) on the list. We discussed it for awhile but our only conclusion was the GA forced me to the #1 spot as he had purchased his ticket prior to my original purchase.

Thought I would add this tidbit to the general discussion even though the outcome will not change my buying habits. I will still buy inexpensive fares and request upgrades when purchasing. If the upgrades do not clear I will still buy inexpensive fares and request upgrades when purchasing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.