Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is EXP status on AA helping make me an alcoholic?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Plat
Is EXP status on AA helping make me an alcoholic?

Having just been EXP for a few months, I find it hard in FC to resist the "Sir, what would you like to drink"....I'm not a bloody Mary fan, so I have limits...typically 12 noon (it's noon somewhere, right?) before having my beer, or my personal favorite, Glenlivet, of which they have 2 on each "catered" flight on AA domestic (which means if there is a DFW-ELP turnaround, you may be out of luck on the ELP-DFW leg).

Anyone else find themselves embibing more than they would if they weren't EXP ? After 100,000 miles plus with AA in 2008 should I feel the least bit guilty!!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by wittc
Having just been EXP for a few months, I find it hard in FC to resist the "Sir, what would you like to drink"....I'm not a bloody Mary fan, so I have limits...typically 12 noon (it's noon somewhere, right?) before having my beer, or my personal favorite, Glenlivet, of which they have 2 on each "catered" flight on AA domestic (which means if there is a DFW-ELP turnaround, you may be out of luck on the ELP-DFW leg).

Anyone else find themselves embibing more than they would if they weren't EXP ? After 100,000 miles plus with AA in 2008 should I feel the least bit guilty!!

There are people who do not drink alcoholic beverages, then there is willpower and also, the other AA.

Cheers,

--J
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Plat
Originally Posted by jcf27
There are people who do not drink alcoholic beverages, then there is willpower and also, the other AA.

Cheers,

--J
Spoken Well! For those that don't embibe, it is not much of "challenge" after sitting two years in coach!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond

It is a fairly common human reaction. Apparently, the natural reaction to someone offering a free drink is "Wow! Free drink! Probably never happen to me again!". After this happens enough, the reaction should become "Oh, yeah. That again." If that doesn't happen after 50 F segments, start worrying.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by gemac
It is a fairly common human reaction. Apparently, the natural reaction to someone offering a free drink is "Wow! Free drink! Probably never happen to me again!"
Hey! I resemble that remark!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold

It will get old after a while. Being based in PHX I rarely drink on my flights back home. Don't want to take a chance getting caught by Sheriff Joe and being thrown in Tent City for a DUI.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tucsnaz
It will get old after a while. Being based in PHX I rarely drink on my flights back home. Don't want to take a chance getting caught by Sheriff Joe and being thrown in Tent City for a DUI.
you left out finding out about swamp coolers while dressed in pink prison garb. in Aug.

my kinda Sheriff. no, DUI is definitely someting to refrain from doing, esp. in Maricopa Co.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:58 pm

Programs: LT Platinum Marriott/Starwood; Exec Plat AA; LT Plat AA
Well once I had the (mis) fortune of having 6 (yes six) beverages from MCI to ORD. that is a 90 minute flight only 60 of in the air.... that was record breaking service I might add. the FA got one of my "applause" tickets for that service. (or two... I don't recall that flight clearly for some reason)
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:01 pm

Yes...unfortunately.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:05 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Yes. At least until the Glenlivit is gone.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by Travelergcp
Yes. At least until the Glenlivit is gone.
That doesn't take long at all.

When you're out of Glenlivet, Rum and Bailey's, then you're in trouble. (I switched to Jack & Ginger for the 3rd drink.)
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:17 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Of course the word is imbibe, as opposed to embibe, and I find that I do have more drinks on a plane than otherwise. However, I don't carry the drinking beyond the plane, so, no, the extra drinking on the plane doesn't make me an alcoholic.

Cheers.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC GLD, MR PLT, SPG PLT, National Exec.
If you count the two G&T's I have in the AC pre-flight and then the four or five on the way to or from JFK. Then yes, I am becoming an alcoholic.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Now I know why I fly AA and go to AA
Old Jan 12, 2009, 5:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Now I know why I fly AA and go to AA

+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.