Name spelled wrong on int'l ticket

Old Jan 9, 09, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Name spelled wrong on int'l ticket

Just booked a couple of J award seats to Asia on CX with AA miles (with help of the Asia Miles award tool - thanks!) When I got the itins e-mailed to me, noticed that my wife's name was spelled incorrectly. How this happened, I have no idea, as the miles for her ticket came from her account, and I'm pretty sure it was right when the ticket was on hold. The record locator still shows under her AA account, and as does her status...but will this be an issue come travel time because it doesn't match her passport?

The Agent I talked to said it shouldn't be a problem, because it was a typo/misspelling, but that all she could do is document it in the record, because CX doesn't allow name changes. Anybody had experience with this?
Old Jan 9, 09, 7:58 am

Programs: AA PLT
Depends how big of a misspelling. If her name is Smith and her ticket says Jones, that is an issue.
Old Jan 9, 09, 8:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
FWIW I've had TSA folks give us a hard time because a ticket had a shortened version of my wife's name instead of the full name as shown on her ID (driver's license). they let it go but gave a stern warning which I heeded by getting her name changed on the AAdvantage account.
Old Jan 9, 09, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
It very well might be a problem. Internationally, they check the ticket to the passport. Depending on the destination and how "bad" the error is, you may have a problem. The TSA isn't really of concern here in the US.

I would call back and push gently to see if the name can be corrected so that you can avoid any problems (especially at the international destinations).
Old Jan 9, 09, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
They spelled her name as "Michele" instead of "Michelle"
Old Jan 9, 09, 9:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
What country are you traveling to in Asia? It may be of concern depending on your destination.
Old Jan 9, 09, 9:50 am

With longer names, sometimes it doesnt all come out on the boarding pass. See if you can get it changed before you leave.
Old Jan 9, 09, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Total Rewards PLT, Starbucks GLD
Originally Posted by socalterp View Post
They spelled her name as "Michele" instead of "Michelle"
That's quite obviously a typo. I wouldn't worry at all.
Old Jan 9, 09, 10:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Joka View Post
Depends how big of a misspelling. If her name is Smith and her ticket says Jones, that is an issue.
In what language is Jones a mispelling of Smith?

DL issued an award tix on SAA GRU/CPT and mispelled my wife's name as
Barabara (Barbara) she had no problems at all at any ID check points.

mike
Old Jan 9, 09, 10:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Gold, Hilton Gold, Gold SPG, AS 75K, QR PLT
No it is not going to be an issue
Enjoy your trip
My legal name does not match my ticket name at al. Okay, three letters are the same but the remaining five do not I always been able to board and fly
Old Jan 9, 09, 10:21 am

Programs: AA PLT
My correct name is Rachel, but on my AA account and most tickets, it is spelled as Rachael. I have tried to correct this multiple times, but it keeps reverting to Rachael. Apparently 22 years ago when my AA account was set up, someone entered it incorrectly, and the computer system is very stubborn. I have had agents try to change it at the airport, I have called AA, but now I have just given up on it and accepted it as the way AA wants my name spelled.
Anyway, it has never been a problem, and I travel internationally A LOT. My passport is the correct spelling, BTW.
Old Jan 9, 09, 10:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
so what happens when next US president goes to check in prior to inauguration and his ticket lists his name as Osama?

[incoming! hit the deck!]
Old Jan 9, 09, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by aamilesslave View Post
That's quite obviously a typo. I wouldn't worry at all.
Agreed.

Although I rarely use travel agents, when I do I usually find that my surname has been misspelled. It's slightly annoying that this happens, but it's never caused a problem traveling, even internationally.
Old Jan 9, 09, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Total Rewards PLT, Starbucks GLD
Originally Posted by benzguy80 View Post
so what happens when next US president goes to check in prior to inauguration and his ticket lists his name as Osama?

[incoming! hit the deck!]
I'd assume whatever would happen if the first name is misspelled already happens due to the middle name.
Old Jan 9, 09, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
In this case, I wouldn't fret too much. I know that doesn't do you a lot of good and you could try and push AA to fix it. If you have AC access, is this something they could help with?

For what it's worth, I have my first name, middle name, maiden name and married surname on my driver's license. My plane tickets are issued by first name and married surname and sometimes with middle initial. I've only had problems twice.

After Katrina, I once had a TSA agent in BTR try to bar me through security because they thought my driver's license showed my maiden surname last rather than my married surname. They couldn't read left to right, were trying to read right to left. It was quite bizarre, particularly since BOTH names were on my driver's license.

I thought I wasn't going to get out of Poland a couple of years back. I had my passport amended to show my married surname and the amendment was on the back page. The name on the picture page showed my maiden surname and the "amendment." So he looks at the ticket and the surname doesn't match the picture page on the passport. Apparently the Polish equivalent of TSA couldn't read English and understand "amendment" and he couldn't understand my English and I definitely didn't understand his Polish. After a bit of back and forth, I finally got the passport back, flipped to the last page and showed him and then went back to the front and pointed to "amendment" and then back to the last page. It finally dawned on him and I was good to go. But in both cases I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

So I guess it partly depends on where you are going in Asia as far as how much you should push on this issue. If you are going to Jamaica, for example, no worries mon. But if you are to Poland, then yeah I'd keep pushing. I think it will depend on the "hospitality" of the nations you are visiting and their reservations about Americans.

Search this Thread