Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Top 42 American Airlines AAdvantage Program Secrets -- new report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Top 42 American Airlines AAdvantage Program Secrets -- new report

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat, Virgin: Silver, Midwest, US Airways: Gold, NW, Lufthansa: Freq Trav
Did Kevin Trudeau write it?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:59 am

Programs: MX CO-Plat AA-Plat UA-1K DL HH Hyatt
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
I am considering ordering this publication with the same thoughts expressed in Brps response. I haven’t determined if my curiosity is worth $97. I guess it would be wrong, maybe even illegal??? to ask someone to PM me if they were interested in splitting the cost?
This may be the same guy who used to (or maybe still does) auction off short cuts to elite status on eBay. It was valuable to some, worthless to others as they were on F-T.

Myself, I would like to know what is in the report. But not for $97. That was a tank of gas last summer.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:01 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by serfty
The Wiki goes a long way towards this:Thanks to lots of work from people like dstan. ^.
Thanks - much appreciated.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Talking

There are four classes of FT members:
1. People who have been around for years and like to do research. These members do not need this report, would buy it only for laughs.
2. People who have been around for years and don't like to do research. These members like to pose as experts. Lack of information is not an impediment to them, so they won't buy the report.
3. People who are new and like to do research. They might buy the report.
4. People who are new and don't like to do research. They want something for nothing, like to take and not give. I don't see them buying this report, but they might try to find someone who has bought it to give it to them.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by Fedecamaras
This may be the same guy who used to (or maybe still does) auction off short cuts to elite status on eBay. It was valuable to some, worthless to others as they were on F-T.
Not me....However, I tried to purchase some evips on eBay a while back and would strongly advise against it.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by gemac
1. People who have been around for years and like to do research. These members do not need this report, would buy it only for laughs.
2. People who have been around for years and don't like to do research. These members like to pose as experts. Lack of information is not an impediment to them, so they won't buy the report.
4. People who are new and don't like to do research. They want something for nothing, like to take and not give. I don't see them buying this report, but they might try to find someone who has bought it to give it to them.
I think you are forgetting the mid-timers who would buy the report in the hopes that it contained some information they didn't already know and anyone who feels like $100 is not that much money to feed a newfound addition to the AAdvantage program.

The bottom line is the "tips" are worth much more than $100 IMHO, but you don't need to spend the money to get them.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Plat.
[QUOTE=brp;10917336]assuming that it's well-written, QUOTE]

I'm thee arthor, I hope u lyke my worck.*

* denotes that the poster is not really the author, and does not wish to be sued by the author.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:30 pm
SST

The author is Matthew Bennett; his newsletter has often provided a new angle or two on how to leverage various FF programs to get upgrade benefits. It's a bit pricey (as is the $97, which is, I think, half price for a subscription..... but half is half). I think you *can* get all the info here which he provides, but his focus is almost exclusively on first, business and premium travel.

He's not going to spend any space on basic 25000 mile awards, etc. I suspect if the issue contains 42 tips, the typical avid FT reader knows 40 of them....... it's the other two, which you either didn't know or had forgotten about, which *might* make it valuable. I'm lucky enough to have a friend that shares an issue with me now and then.

I don't think it's worthless at all: I've gotten a couple of pieces of gold out of it, although many of the articles are written for those who don't mind dropping four figures each way on a fare--- I'm too much of a cheapskate to do more than contemplate some of the issues, as I don't currently have any overseas clients, and mosttimes pay my own way 3-4 times a year.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:40 pm

Programs: American; United; Starwood
I read the "secrets" - I think one can learn more on FT. I have.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
I have tried the service in the past and it is not worth $97 that they always charge. If it was $20 I may have remained a subscriber. Is more wortwhile for a novice traveller. Not for most of us.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:29 pm

Is this a real price reduction? Or, usually availanble ayway?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
There are actually three kinds of FT members:

1. Those who are able to make lists.
2. Those who have problems with list making.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:00 am

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by best
Is this a real price reduction? Or, usually availanble ayway?
Thats the price I have always seen.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.27M Hyatt Diamond Marriott SLVR HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by swag
This forum is free, but the paid report is probably less snarky.
LOL! Seems like FT could charge extra for the snark - sometimes that's the funniest part of my day!
Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP NW PE, HHonors Diamond, PriorityChoice PLT
Talking

Originally Posted by stbeeman
LOL! Seems like FT could charge extra for the snark - sometimes that's the funniest part of my day!
Nah, I get me fill of Snark from the ORD GAs.

BTW, Funky tag line, there, STBEEMAN!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.