6:20 AM Flight from CVG. 5:00 hotel shuttle early enough?

Old Dec 15, 2008, 5:05 pm
AGS
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
6:20 AM Flight from CVG. 5:00 hotel shuttle early enough?

I am flying out of CVG on 6:20 AM this Sunday. I am staying at the airport Marriott the night before, and their earliest shuttle is at 5:00 AM. Is this early enough to check bags, clear security and make the flight? I don't typically fly out of CVG (DAY is my home airport but these flights were much cheaper), so I don't know what the place looks like first thing in the morning.

It's the Sunday before Christmas, so I don't know whether that makes a difference.

Thanks,
AGS
Old Dec 15, 2008, 5:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
You should be fine.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 6:22 pm

There's only 3 or 4 flights that depart CVG earlier than yours on ALL airlines. AA has only one, another Eagle flight on an Embraer. Translation: even if every flight is totally full because of the holiday, there can hardly be enough people at the airport at that hour to cause any appreciable backup at check-in or security. And it's a compact and easily navigated airport.
That the Marriott only starts their shuttle service at 5 AM is a good sign that's early enough to make the first flights out. Relax, and enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 6:39 pm

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Originally Posted by AGS
I don't typically fly out of CVG (DAY is my home airport but these flights were much cheaper), so I don't know what the place looks like first thing in the morning.
First time I've ever heard anyone say that! I almost fell out of my chair.

You will have more than enough time but Terminal 2 doesn't have much to offer especially at that hour.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmFT
There's only 3 or 4 flights that depart CVG earlier than yours on ALL airlines.
Sorry, that's weekdays. There may only be the other Eagle flight departing before yours on Sunday. You'll be twiddling your thumbs - but do it around the gate. The Eagle flights often depart early.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 6:58 pm
AGS
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
Thanks all. You've set my mind at ease.

Blank Sheet, if you almost fell out of your chair because I wrote that the CVG flight was cheaper than the DAY flight, I know what you mean, as I was surprised myself. FWIW, I'm flying CVG-ORD-HNL.

AGS
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta PM, Priority Club Plat, SPG Gold, blah, blah, lots of others ...
You'll be fine. I fly out of CVG 75+ times per year on AA. The Marriott is less than 7 minutes away and security at T2 for the morning flights (or any flight for the most part) will never take you more than 10 minutes (and that's only when you get someone in front of you who doesn't travel much and decided to bring all of their bathroom accessories)

They have opened a new Bruegger's right as you complete security, so the options have gotten a little better (something is better than nothing, right?)

You'll likely be going out of Gate 1 which is about 150ft. from clearing security. T2 at CVG isn't nearly as nice as DAY, but if you really wanted some food, you can take the bridge over to T3 (a short walk past the UA counters) and there is a Starbucks in the atrium of T3. I believe it opens at 5:30 (but it may be 6:00, I can't recall, if I really need my coffee I hit the Starbucks at ORD on my connection)

This is a long way of saying most of what you already know. If you arrived at the airport 35 minutes before departure, you'd still be fine.

Like others have expressed, I'm AMAZED that your flight from CVG was less than DAY, but AA had some significant fare sales over the past few weeks which were VERY attractive. I regularly make the CVG-ORD-XXX commute and almost all year the average ticket has been ~$800 (and as high as $1900 just to ORD) and AA had them at $219 R/T for several weeks.

Have fun ... Enjoy HNL
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:36 pm

Programs: LT Platinum Marriott/Starwood; Exec Plat AA; LT Plat AA
you're fine. I've arrived for that fight multile times after 6am... (yes thats bad) and had no problems making that flight...

Worst day was I overslept (no wake up) got to the national return at 6am. caught the bus, got to the airport at 6:05 am; got to the AA checkin counter at 6:10... Begged to check in and print boarding pass (gave the guy my 1/2 bottle of Merlot I didn't drink from the Marriott Checkin in plat bonus as a thank you) and still made the flight. (as I arrived in security I heard "final call form "toomuchtravel" being announced overhead)

I've never seen any issues in the AA terminal at CVG first thing in the morning (though I don't recommend cutting it as close as I have done so!... you need more tums for that!)
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:59 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
AA's CVG operation is tiny.

There are kiosks and AAgents in plentiful supply. Even checking in for an international itinerary takes all of 5 min.

The wait for "security" is about 5 min maximum and often you can begin the "security" joke with the Papers Please, Comrade Podium w/o a wait.

After clearing "security", there's not much to do except wait for boarding. Amenities include:
  • Newspaper stand
  • Water fountain
  • CNN
  • A possible UA flight boarding down the hall
  • Men's Room
  • Women's Room

80 minutes should be more than enough for the shuttle to CVG to the gate.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 2:38 am

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by Spiff
AA's CVG operation is tiny.

There are kiosks and AAgents in plentiful supply. Even checking in for an international itinerary takes all of 5 min.

The wait for "security" is about 5 min maximum and often you can begin the "security" joke with the Papers Please, Comrade Podium w/o a wait.

After clearing "security", there's not much to do except wait for boarding. Amenities include:
  • Newspaper stand
  • Water fountain
  • CNN
  • A possible UA flight boarding down the hall
  • Men's Room
  • Women's Room

80 minutes should be more than enough for the shuttle to CVG to the gate.
You forgot Watching The Janitor, and Listening to the Couple Fighting Because A Spouse Didn't Want to Fly Delta and Now Look at the S-Hole Terminal We Are In

Ahhh... CVG.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old Dec 16, 2008, 4:02 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
That Bruegger's (sp?) bagel shop is great. Fabulous breakfast sandwiches and even better brownies.

And I've never had more than a ten minute wait in security. It is easy easy easy! I usually only allow 45 minutes there myself so no worries OP and enjoy HNL. I'm jealous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.