Questions Regarding Redemption of AA Voucher

Old Dec 9, 08, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt, Hertz President's Circle, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold
Questions Regarding Redemption of AA Voucher

Hello,
I have two questions regarding redemption of two American Airlines vouchers which I currently possess.
1) Is there any way to redeem without having to pay a fee for booking (I am EXP if it helps)? I usually purchase on the internet but that can be tough with the voucher.
2) My voucher is a rather considerable sum of money, so my booking would be less than the total value of the voucher. What will happen with remainder value? Will it be another voucher?
Many thanks for the assistance.

Rupesh
Old Dec 9, 08, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by family friend View Post
Hello,
I have two questions regarding redemption of two American Airlines vouchers which I currently possess.
1) Is there any way to redeem without having to pay a fee for booking (I am EXP if it helps)? I usually purchase on the internet but that can be tough with the voucher.
2) My voucher is a rather considerable sum of money, so my booking would be less than the total value of the voucher. What will happen with remainder value? Will it be another voucher?
Many thanks for the assistance.

Rupesh
Go ahead and book your flight at aa.com. Then put your flight on hold and call AA with the flight and voucher details. They will instruct how to handle the voucher. Essentially, you will mail the voucher to AA with flight info, a very easy process but you will have a limited time to get the voucher to AA.

After you have turned in the voucher and the flight is booked, you will receive a new voucher for the difference.
Old Dec 9, 08, 2:23 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Also, check out this thread for the nuances of taxes when the voucher covers more than the value of the ticket. Agents should know the deal, but it's better if you know as well.

Cheers.
Old Dec 9, 08, 2:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (PLT :(, 2MM), HHonors (Silver), Hertz (5 Star), Marriott (Silver)
also please take a minute to look at the Wiki. The wiki has answers to many of the common questions as well as the not so common questions. The specific Wiki entry you are after is found here: http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Vouchers_(AA)

Regards,
E
Old Dec 9, 08, 2:58 pm

If your close to your airport, you can take them in there as well and get it ticketed.
Old Dec 9, 08, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt, Hertz President's Circle, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold
Originally Posted by erenner View Post
also please take a minute to look at the Wiki. The wiki has answers to many of the common questions as well as the not so common questions. The specific Wiki entry you are after is found here: http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Vouchers_(AA)

Regards,
E
That wiki entry says no text for this entry.
Old Dec 9, 08, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
Go ahead and book your flight at aa.com. Then put your flight on hold and call AA with the flight and voucher details. They will instruct how to handle the voucher. Essentially, you will mail the voucher to AA with flight info, a very easy process but you will have a limited time to get the voucher to AA.

After you have turned in the voucher and the flight is booked, you will receive a new voucher for the difference.

What is the limited time to get the voucher to AA?
How long will it take to get a voucher back?
Old Dec 9, 08, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chanp View Post
If your close to your airport, you can take them in there as well and get it ticketed.
Can that be done at an American Airlines Travel Office as well? Or only at the airport?
Would it be advisable to first place the itinerary on hold as previously suggested?
Old Dec 9, 08, 3:24 pm

Can that be done at an American Airlines Travel Office as well? Or only at the airport?
Would it be advisable to first place the itinerary on hold as previously suggested?
Call AA, I dont see why not
Old Dec 9, 08, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp View Post
Also, check out this thread for the nuances of taxes when the voucher covers more than the value of the ticket. Agents should know the deal, but it's better if you know as well.

Cheers.
Many thanks brp. I looked at this thread, how can I find the reason for the issuance of the voucher to see if I must pay taxes?
Old Dec 9, 08, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA 1.3 MM/LT Gold, WN A-List, DL Silver
That wiki entry says no text for this entry.
Close the parenthesis (this sometimes happens when a poster puts a link that ends in closed parenthesis):
http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Vouchers_(AA)
Old Dec 9, 08, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Yes and Yes.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: