Wiki Posts
Search

Which agent was technically correct?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2008, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM
Which agent was technically correct?

I have a trip to NYC coming up that I decided to extend by a day. I called in, grudgingly parted with several hundred dollars, and ended up with LAX-SFO-JFK a day earlier (why you can't just re-price the outbound and have to do the whole thing still ticks me off, but I digress...).

The next afternoon, I happen to check expertflyer.com and find a C seat (reason for routing via SFO) on a direct flight, same price. I call in and ask if I'm still allowed to change a ticket within 24hrs of booking and am told yes. They go to make the change, but return to tell me that it has to be 24hrs of the original booking, not 24hrs of a rebooking (despite having the ticket completely re-priced). I could not find a definitive answer on AA.com, so I called again, and this time they made the change no fee, no problem.

My question is which agent was correct? Did I get lucky and get something they should have charged for for free, or did the first agent just not know what they were doing? And, regardless of which is correct, would whichever one is a mistake be the agents mistake, or the rate desk's mistake?
Old Dec 7, 2008, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EP
I'm not really sure what the rules are by airline for the 24 hour booking rule. In this situation you can always call your credit card company up within 24 hours and have them block the charge if the airline refuses to work with you.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by mkmintman
I'm not really sure what the rules are by airline for the 24 hour booking rule. In this situation you can always call your credit card company up within 24 hours and have them block the charge if the airline refuses to work with you.
Block which charge? You can contest - not block, AFAIK. But, what was unfair? The charge via SFO that the OP actually authorized? Or are you referring to if the OP had accepted a second change fee for the change bach to direct routing within 24 hours? If that is that case, right or wrong, the OP would still have, in theory, said yes (and therefore still a legit charge) - but that was not the case - he called back and had another agent do it for free - right?

I guess I just have a problem with a cc dispute unless all efforts with the merchant have failed - AND the charge was not coorect in the first place - which would NOT be the case as described here, IMO.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Block which charge? You can contest - not block, AFAIK. But, what was unfair? The charge via SFO that the OP actually authorized? Or are you referring to if the OP had accepted a second change fee for the change bach to direct routing within 24 hours? If that is that case, right or wrong, the OP would still have, in theory, said yes (and therefore still a legit charge) - but that was not the case - he called back and had another agent do it for free - right?

I guess I just have a problem with a cc dispute unless all efforts with the merchant have failed - AND the charge was not coorect in the first place - which would NOT be the case as described here, IMO.
I agree with you completely. An agreed-upon charge is valid, unless the "agreement" was made under some kind of duress, IMO. What would be disputable, in my mind, is if AA realized the second agent was incorrect, and just charged my card another change fee without my permission. That, I would dispute.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
AFAIK there is no official policy allowing fee-free changes within 24 hours, although many have reported being accommodated.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I know of no carrier that allows the 24-hour rule on changes to itineraries. I am pretty sure that for each change after the initial booking 24 hour window you get hit with the fee. And the ruling on the 24 hour window varies based on the airline and how they observe that policy.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
I know of no carrier that allows the 24-hour rule on changes to itineraries. I am pretty sure that for each change after the initial booking 24 hour window you get hit with the fee. And the ruling on the 24 hour window varies based on the airline and how they observe that policy.
DL allows you for DL.COM tickets to cancel with 100% refund within 24 hrs.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA 2P, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by zman
DL allows you for DL.COM tickets to cancel with 100% refund within 24 hrs.
same for united.com
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:06 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LAXjoe
same for united.com
And LAN. But not AA.

But the part about disputing a valid charge just because the merchant doesn't make the change you want is garbage.

Cheers.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
On AA.com, you can HOLD most reservations for 24 hours with a guarantee on the fare.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
On AA.com, you can HOLD most reservations for 24 hours with a guarantee on the fare.
Nope. An aa.com hold, last I checked, only guaranteed the inventory, not the exact fare. You can hold a Q seat, for example, but you will pay whatever the going rate is for Q when you purchase. The only way to guarantee a fare hold is to do so over the phone, from my recollection.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JumboD
Nope. An aa.com hold, last I checked, only guaranteed the inventory, not the exact fare. You can hold a Q seat, for example, but you will pay whatever the going rate is for Q when you purchase. The only way to guarantee a fare hold is to do so over the phone, from my recollection.
I disagree.

Here's what aa.com said about the hold I just placed on a Q fare:

If you are not ready to purchase your ticket now, you may select HOLD to GUARANTEE your reservation and fare for up to 24 hours.
In a dozen years of buying tickets on aa.com and its predecessor, I've never had AA deny the held fare if purchased prior to the stated deadline (24 hours).
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:26 am

Programs: AA Plt
Originally Posted by JumboD
Nope.

(The only exception is if you tick over a 3-day, 7-day, whatever advance purchase requirement.)
Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Ajohn
Nope.

(The only exception is if you tick over a 3-day, 7-day, whatever advance purchase requirement.)
In that case, even though the message will say you can hold it for 24 hours, the reservations summary will actually show that it expires that same day at 11:59 PM. It pays to read the email & check "my reservations" as a precaution after you've put a ticket on hold.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:21 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PanAmFT
In that case, even though the message will say you can hold it for 24 hours, the reservations summary will actually show that it expires that same day at 11:59 PM. It pays to read the email & check "my reservations" as a precaution after you've put a ticket on hold.
Even in this case (with the hold indicating the shorter period of time, and the advance purchase rules saying the same) many folks here have reported having the web services folks honor the original price for the 24 hours...even though they don't have to.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.