Search

ORD-MIA-EZE upgrade in airport?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

ORD-MIA-EZE upgrade in airport?

Hi fellow FTers,

I need to pick your brains.

I am flying on 12/17 from ORD-MIA-EZE with my wife for our honeymoon. Of course we were originally on the non-stop ORD-EZE which got canceled. We are code N on the way there and code L on the way back. So we'd have to pay $350 + 25K miles each just to upgrade the MIA-EZE leg if upgrades are even available. I can see on aa.com that coach is completely full but business and first cabins are each half empty.

What are my options? Can I show up to the airport really early and ask to pay to upgrade? I know on other airlines I've been able to do that for a reasonable fee if those seats would go empty anyway.

Thanks in advance,
Sam
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by scn312
So we'd have to pay $350 + 25K miles each just to upgrade the MIA-EZE leg if upgrades are even available.
Incorrect. Mileage + copay upgrades can handle the domestic travel, too.

There are (infrequent) exceptions, but generally AA does NOT allow paid upgrades at the gate. AA is entirely happy to allow those comfy seats up front to go empty while envious, if cheapskate, travelers crowd the economy cabin.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I'd take the 25K +$300 now if I were you.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

If I had the miles, I would do that at this point. But alas, I do not. I heard something about purchasing an eVIP from someone. How does that work?
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA/BA
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
I'd take the 25K +$300 now if I were you.
And the same upgrade will cover ORD-MIA-EZE-- not just the MIA-EZE.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 6:28 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Hi fellow FTers,
I can see on aa.com that coach is completely full but business and first cabins are each half empty.
Seatmaps at aa.com are not always/not often a true indicator of how "full" or "empty" business and/or first are.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 6:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Purchasing, trading or bartering for eVIPs invalidates them; if AA catches such an action, and they do monitor for them at various locations (including Craig's List, eBay and FlyerTalk,) they can confiscate the eVIPs, "bust" the flyer(s) back to the original fare class (or insist they pay full walk up fares,) close their FF accounts, etc.

Requesting or seeking to purchase or trade for them in this Forum will get posts deleted, or the thread deleted or closed at least, and can lead to discipline (e.g temporary or permanent revocation of FT membership) for violating FT terms of service.

Your hope is to pay for the upgrades, and that's pretty much it, unless they occasionally offer counter upgrades for $$$. They have seen many, many honeymooners (and more who claim to be) at airline counters, and have developed immunity to upgrade requests.

Enjoy your trip and have a spectacular honeymoon.

If I had the miles, I would do that at this point. But alas, I do not. I heard something about purchasing an eVIP from someone. How does that work?
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:35 pm

Curiosity got the best of me, so I went on ExpertFlyer and checked C availability... assuming you're on the 909 out of MIA at 8:30 pm on 12/17, there are two seats in C (upgrade inventory) available. There should also be seats in A on your connecting flight from ORD, which as others have pointed out would be included in the 25000 miles + copay.

I didn't know when you were flying back, so won't attempt to say anything about the return.

I note you mention you don't have the miles at this point. Do you have somewhere you could transfer them from? Or are you within range for miles you could buy?
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I believe you need to add the $100 "expedite" fee to that too since you are within 21 days of departure.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Purchasing, trading or bartering for eVIPs invalidates them; if AA catches such an action, and they do monitor for them at various locations (including Craig's List, eBay and FlyerTalk,) they can confiscate the eVIPs, "bust" the flyer(s) back to the original fare class (or insist they pay full walk up fares,) close their FF accounts, etc.
Are you sure AA can make them pay walk up fares? The AAdvantage terms violations are violations of the Aadvantage program. How would that affect the person's legally purchased fare class?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 2:01 am

Programs: AA Plt
Originally Posted by mvoight
Are you sure AA can make them pay walk up fares? The AAdvantage terms violations are violations of the Aadvantage program. How would that affect the person's legally purchased fare class?
Perhaps what JDiver meant is that AA can cancel their tickets, insisting that they buy new ones the day of (which will generally be Y or B). We've seen cases described here like that. Or perhaps I've missed one and someone was actually charged the J fare for flying in the business cabin and upgraded with an illicit instrument?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I believe you need to add the $100 "expedite" fee to that too since you are within 21 days of departure.
I thought it was only $50 if at least 7 days out - but I could be wrong.

I usually don't manage to plan 7 days out, either!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.