Search

Domestic 777 "Business Class" Seats

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Domestic 777 "Business Class" Seats

Hey folks-

Ok so here we go. On (most) 777 domestic routes (ex. ORD-DFW), the business class seats are sold as Economy but are reserved for people who purchase Y/B fares or have AA Gold (or higher) status. To my knowledge, the 500-mile upgrades get you in line for the 1st class cabin, so my question is this- Is there a way to get an upgrade into these seats with 500-mi upgrades or mileage, or are these seats strictly reserved based on the criteria above?

Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
No way to upgrade into them, the only way as you said is if you're an elite or on full fare economy.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by asf-07
Hey folks-

Ok so here we go. On (most) 777 domestic routes (ex. ORD-DFW), the business class seats are sold as Economy but are reserved for people who purchase Y/B fares or have AA Gold (or higher) status. To my knowledge, the 500-mile upgrades get you in line for the 1st class cabin, so my question is this- Is there a way to get an upgrade into these seats with 500-mi upgrades or mileage, or are these seats strictly reserved based on the criteria above?

Thanks!
I suspect that you could get economy priced "business class" seats the same way you would get other preferred seats on planes sold as 2 class. That is, wait until they are opened to anyone, which I believe occurs when the go to airport control.

Mileage and 500 mile upgrades would get you into the first class seats, just as if it were a "normal" 2 class plane, though flying a peon without an elite member would mean you have to use a mileage award, or hope for a kiosk upgrade.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 2:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
To the OP, keep in mind that the 777 seats DFW-ORD-DFW are very much sought after by anyone flying these routes. Personally, I would wait an additional hour or two to fly this flight to get:

1. Upgrade to FS suite (so far I've gotten it twice)
2. "Settle" for J seat with Y service

The odds of getting one of these seats on day of check-in are very low due to their popularity by all that qualify for the seats (EXP, PLT, GLD, Y/B fares)
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:00 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
AA has a daily flight MIA-LAX-MIA with the 777 and they sell the biz class seats normally as biz class fare.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Nick90274
No way to upgrade into them, the only way as you said is if you're an elite or on full fare economy.

Couldn't someone use a 15K/50.00 upgrade award to get into F on these flights? Your statement seems to indicate that mileage upgrades are not an option here.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:09 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by TxH2O
To the OP, keep in mind that the 777 seats DFW-ORD-DFW are very much sought after by anyone flying these routes. Personally, I would wait an additional hour or two to fly this flight to get:

1. Upgrade to FS suite (so far I've gotten it twice)
2. "Settle" for J seat with Y service

The odds of getting one of these seats on day of check-in are very low due to their popularity by all that qualify for the seats (EXP, PLT, GLD, Y/B fares)
It appears that this service rolls once a day. From ORD-DFW at 6:30pm and from DFW-ORD at 1:00 pm. Are there others?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by bdemaria

Couldn't someone use a 15K/50.00 upgrade award to get into F on these flights? Your statement seems to indicate that mileage upgrades are not an option here.
If the flight shows "A" inventory, then a mileage + copay upgrade is allowed into F. But as for the business seats economy service, only elites and full fares can select these seats ahead of time.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria

Yeah, I meant the J seats with Y service, which as far as I know are only available to elites and full fare coach passengers (unless you manage to get one at check-in).
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by mktozd
It appears that this service rolls once a day. From ORD-DFW at 6:30pm and from DFW-ORD at 1:00 pm. Are there others?
I'd love to know that myself. I've heard it mentioned on
DFW-ORD but no other segments.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by LH/LX
AA has a daily flight MIA-LAX-MIA with the 777 and they sell the biz class seats normally as biz class fare.
I just flew this and it was biz class service. Same seats and service as i got biz class MVD-EZE.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT
It's not worth the upgrade for miles or money

It's a flight that is 1.5 hours. Settle for the biz class seats and pay for your drinks or snacks. The biz class seats are full on and lay completely down, with the full entertainment selection. I mean, yea, it would be cool to get the "Flagship service", but really you only get a meal and a few drinks..

not worth the upgrade price, or miles in my opinion.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Oh, BTW see the following thread regarding this flight;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=885829

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.