JFK-HKG same mileage as HKG-YYR-JFK?

Old Nov 25, 08, 9:37 am
Original Poster

JFK-HKG same mileage as HKG-YYR-JFK?

Hi-

Thanks to everyone for a great forum. I apologize if this has been answered/asked already but I can't seem to find it. I flew CX JFK-HKG in C for 8067 miles. On the return I opted for the CX HKG-YYR-JFK and received the same 8067 miles when according to various mileage calculators the actual mileage was more on the return. Is this standard? The difference is only about 200 miles, but I am down to that to requalify for EXP...
Old Nov 25, 08, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Originally Posted by stacey131 View Post
Hi-

Thanks to everyone for a great forum. I apologize if this has been answered/asked already but I can't seem to find it. I flew CX JFK-HKG in C for 8067 miles. On the return I opted for the CX HKG-YYR-JFK and received the same 8067 miles when according to various mileage calculators the actual mileage was more on the return. Is this standard? The difference is only about 200 miles, but I am down to that to requalify for EXP...
Yes, unfortunately it is the same mileage. As long you are on the same flight number, you receive the same mileage regardless of the number of stops, routing or even equipment changes.

BTW, Vancouver is YVR not YYR.
Old Nov 25, 08, 9:43 am

Flight 888 is known as a "direct" flight, meaning any connections count for the same mileage as if you were flying non-stop. It's the big gotcha for many first-time mileage-runners.
Old Nov 25, 08, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Ugh!

Thanks! well, they got me!
Old Nov 25, 08, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Originally Posted by stacey131 View Post
Thanks! well, they got me!
But the good news is that you still have time to pick up those miles before the end of the year... and MR fares are very attractive now.
Old Nov 25, 08, 2:03 pm

This happened to me on a NRT-ORD-BOS flight earlier this year, and I didn't realise that it would be credited as a direct flight, so I emailed AA customer service explaining the discrepancy, and they changed it for me this one time (which extended my PLT through Feb 2010) ... I would def email them and ask them especially if this is the first time it has happened to you! You might just get lucky...
Old Nov 25, 08, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
my sad story of woe

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163446

Re: above post of requesting an exception- much more likely to be granted related to AA flights- CX is very rigid in the application of their FF program rules.

Search this Thread