Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The U.K. Air Passenger Duty / APD is "a duty of Excise which is levied on the carriage, from a UK airport, of chargeable passengers on chargeable aircraft... The amount due is dependent on the final destination and class of travel of the chargeable passenger... The reduced rates apply where the passengers are carried in the lowest class of travel on any flight unless the seat pitch exceeds 1.016 metres (40 inches), in which case, whether there is one or more than one class of travel the standard rates apply." Link. Those in transit from other countries are exempt.

As of 01 Apr 2012, the APD is:
  • Band A (0 to 2,000 miles): Reduced £13, Standard £26
  • Band B (2,001 to 4,000 miles) (e.g. USA, Canada): Reduced £65, Standard £130
  • Band C (4,001 to 6,000 miles): Reduced £81, Standard £162
  • Band D (over 6,000 miles): Reduced £92, Standard £184
As of 01 Apr 2013 will be:
  • Band A (0 to 2,000 miles) £13 Reduced, £26 Standard (no change)
  • Band B (2,001 to 4,000 miles) (e.g. USA, Canada): Reduced £62, Standard £134
  • Band C (4,001 to 6,000 miles): Reduced £83, Standard £166
  • Band D (over 6,000 miles): Reduced £94, Standard £188
Print Wikipost

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty and increases again - Apr 1 2012

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Not too long ago the tax was zero. How greedy can they get. Unfortunately this effects the airlines as well as us.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM
Extra ticketing charge after VIP upograde

Perhaps this is well known on this board but:

VIP upgrade cleared this morning for the TATL portion of our outbound: DTW-ORD-LHR-LYS, so we are in business class on ORD-LHR, economy all other segments. I was required to pay an extra $49 for each of us to reticket this, described as taxes.

Anyone know what this is about? If it is the infamous increased UK departure tax, should it apply to someone who arrives in business but departs in economy?

Earlier we had cleared the return flight VIP upgrade on the TATL portion of LYS-BRU-ORD-DTW
Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by NWAOldtimer

VIP upgrade cleared this morning for the TATL portion of our outbound: DTW-ORD-LHR-LYS, so we are in business class on ORD-LHR, economy all other segments. I was required to pay an extra $49 for each of us to reticket this, described as taxes.

Anyone know what this is about? If it is the infamous increased UK departure tax, should it apply to someone who arrives in business but departs in economy?

Earlier we had cleared the return flight VIP upgrade on the TATL portion of LYS-BRU-ORD-DTW
I may be wrong, but I think they call it a luxury tax (Y-J).
Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:54 am

Programs: AA CK/EXP/1MM, UA Conscientious Objector, Hyatt CC, SPG Plat, HH Diamond VIP
This is not a reticketing fee. Whether you agree with the charge (or its application in this circumstance) or not, these dollars do not go to AA's bottom-lime.

The airlines, AA included, universally loathe the UK tax, and to suggest that they are enriched by it, when they are plainly not (and in fact are hurt by it) is a bit tenuous.

All that being said, I agree with your unwritten sentiment -- and the airlines: the tax is lousy.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM
Originally Posted by Travailen
This is not a reticketing fee. Whether you agree with the charge (or its application in this circumstance) or not, these dollars do not go to AA's bottom-lime.

The airlines, AA included, universally loathe the UK tax, and to suggest that they are enriched by it, when they are plainly not (and in fact are hurt by it) is a bit tenuous.

All that being said, I agree with your unwritten sentiment -- and the airlines: the tax is lousy.

A good reason to avoid transiting the UK when traveling to continental Europe I guess
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:00 am

I was under the impression the UK luxury tax was only applicable if you were originating or terminating in the UK. The op is flying ORD-LHR-LYS, shouldn't he not be hit with the UK luxury tax?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
A good reason to avoid transiting the UK when traveling to continental Europe I guess
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. The $49 you have paid is NOT the UK APD. This is only charged when DEPARTING the UK in a premium cabin, not arriving. In any case, the difference in tax is £45 which is a lot more than $49.

Could it be related to your return upgrade? I know France has a "luxury tax" too but not sure of the exactly how that operates. You are departing France in economy but connecting to a flight in business from another EU country so that may be it. I know if you depart the UK in economy to connect to a transatlantic flight in business you are still caught by the tax increase. The French tax may work in the same way
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by britenbsas
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.
Indeed there is!

To the OP: Call AA and ask the reason for the charge; if the Agent says only "taxes" then ask for more details.

There are times when the taxes are charged incorrectly; transiting pax (less than 24 hrs) thru the UK are not required to pay the tax.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by bmpeers
The point is phazedowt is that the vast majority of people won't do what your suggesting to avoid the tax. Most people don't want to go via Dublin.
I flew into LHR on a trip last week and came home from DUB this week. Got a $65AI BMI flight LHR-DUB the night before DUB-ORD on AA. I've cleared 5 systemwides upgrades this year either to/from DUB, but it does take a leap of faith, with 16 seats, to think one would consistently clear these flights. Figure I saved about $300 when you add up the fare difference, tax differences, and cost of upgrading from the U.K. when I booked the tickets.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral
No. Some people on fora et al try calling it that, but it is not called a luxury tax
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
No, it's a good reason to avoid a stopover at LHR and spending any money there. Her majesty's government seems to want to encourage travelers to go straight through to Europe. If you simply insist on stopping over, they seemingly would prefer you do so on your way to Europe, not on your way back. Must be better for the environment that way.

Originally Posted by britenbsas
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.
That doesn't necessarily make this thread unique.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LHR is a lousy place to transit even if you don't upgrade; an economy-class roundtrip from the US to Europe routed through LHR will cost almost $70 more in taxes and fees than one that's nonstrop, $66 more than one that's routed through a US airport, and $44 more than one connecting at MAD.

Only the French are worse--for now.

Full details at http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...tions_%28AA%29
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by hillrider
LHR is a lousy place to transit even if you don't upgrade; an economy-class roundtrip from the US to Europe routed through LHR will cost almost $70 more in taxes and fees than one that's nonstrop, $66 more than one that's routed through a US airport, and $44 more than one connecting at MAD.

Only the French are worse--for now.

Full details at http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...tions_%28AA%29
Thanks for the link, Europe in general to travel thru. Still wont stop me from visiting London, I like that city.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by gemac
No, it's a good reason to avoid a stopover at LHR and spending any money there. Her majesty's government seems to want to encourage travelers to go straight through to Europe. If you simply insist on stopping over, they seemingly would prefer you do so on your way to Europe, not on your way back. Must be better for the environment that way.
I don't see it that way - I think it's more like AA's checked baggage fees - it's a matter of what you can get away with, rather than there being any really sound logic to it. But isn't that the same for many, many taxes?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As noted in the title of this thread, it is actually an "Air Passenger Duty", and Economy passengers pay one as well. A Y to J passenger upgrading pays the difference between the Y and J/F APD. This post lists the APDs due. As the APD is distance-dependent as well as class-of-service dependent, one pays more the greater the distance flown.

And, it's going up again this November. UK-USA will be £120 -Australia will be £170. Over $500 round trip in J or F... Wheee! Perhaps Her Majesty will take pity in her one-time subjects - not!

Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 19, 2010 at 2:56 pm Reason: edit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.