EXP Companion Upgrade vs Electronic Upgrade

Old Nov 24, 08, 2:12 am
Original Poster

EXP Companion Upgrade vs Electronic Upgrade

Question about which option will give the best chance for two upgrades on the same flight when one is EXP and other can use electronic upgrade:

1. EXP companion upgrade requests with both travelers on the same record

2. EXP companion upgrade requests with travelers on two seperare linked record

3. EXP upgrade request for first traveler and second traveler using electronic upgrade request
Old Nov 24, 08, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by qazw1 View Post
Question about which option will give the best chance for two upgrades on the same flight when one is EXP and other can use electronic upgrade:

3. EXP upgrade request for first traveler and second traveler using electronic upgrade request
What is the difference between companion upgrade and electronic upgrade?
Old Nov 24, 08, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Originally Posted by Gandhi90s View Post
What is the difference between companion upgrade and electronic upgrade?
For companion upgrade, the companion must be booked in a Y or B fare.
Old Nov 24, 08, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by ohioflyer View Post
For companion upgrade, the companion must be booked in a Y or B fare.
Edited: Apparently that IS correct.

EXPs can request upgrades for companions traveling on any published fare. And anyone traveling on a Y or B can request an upgrade; being an EXP's companion has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Nov 24, 08 at 9:54 am
Old Nov 24, 08, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma View Post
That's not correct. EXPs can upgrade companions traveling on any published fare, and anyone traveling on a Y or B fare need not be traveling with an EXP to upgrade.
I *think* the OP is trying to differentiate between an upgrade that would require stickers and an upgrade that would not require stickers and using the term "companion" upgrade solely for the latter.

Regardless, it is confusing.
Old Nov 24, 08, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
That is NOT correct. EXPs can request upgrades for companions traveling on any published fare. And anyone traveling on a Y or B can request an upgrade; being an EXP's companion has nothing to do with it.
I think the distinction here is between a companion upgrade on a Y or B fare (which is free for the companion of an EXP), versus a companion upgrade on a discount economy fare, which requires 500 mile upgrades.
Old Nov 24, 08, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by qazw1 View Post

There is no absolute answer to your question. If the travelers are on the same record, they will have the EXPs status but they will not clear unless two upgrades became available at the same time. If the records are split, the companion will not have a chance to clear until his/her own window.

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Nov 24, 08 at 10:03 am
Old Nov 24, 08, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post

Regardless, it is confusing.
Indeed.

Originally Posted by photodave View Post
I think the distinction here is between a companion upgrade on a Y or B fare (which is free for the companion of an EXP), versus a companion upgrade on a discount economy fare, which requires 500 mile upgrades.
The companion upgrade on a Y or B fare would only be complimentary if the companion was a PLT or a GLD. But in that case, it is the status combined with the fare that triggers the complimentary upgrade, not the fact of being a companion.

Edited to add:Obviously I had forgotten one of the EXP benefits. I now understand that the statement above is correct and that I had been overlooking that option.

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Nov 24, 08 at 10:04 am
Old Nov 24, 08, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
If the records are split, the companion will not have a chance to clear until his/her own window.
IME you can link the divided PNRs and maintain higher-level priority for the companion; however, linked upgrades are not automated and one usually needs to call in to get the companion upgraded at the sponsor's window. In this case, even if the records are split, the stickers come out of the sponsor's account.
Old Nov 24, 08, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post
I *think* the OP is trying to differentiate between an upgrade that would require stickers and an upgrade that would not require stickers and using the term "companion" upgrade solely for the latter.
Indeed. The OP was using the terminology found in the EXP Membership Guide, which says
You may also request a complimentary upgrade for one companion if the companion is traveling on a full-fare Economy Class ticket (fares beginning with Y or B, excluding military/government fares). Companions traveling on any other eligible fare may be upgraded using 500-mile upgrades.

Thus the distinction between "companion" upgrades and electronic upgrades.
Old Nov 24, 08, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by ohioflyer View Post
Indeed. The OP was using the terminology found in the EXP Membership Guide, which says
You may also request a complimentary upgrade for one companion if the companion is traveling on a full-fare Economy Class ticket (fares beginning with Y or B, excluding military/government fares). Companions traveling on any other eligible fare may be upgraded using 500-mile upgrades.

Thus the distinction between "companion" upgrades and electronic upgrades.
Good point. I'd forgotten that it was worded like that in the EXP Membership Guide.

But now I'm really confused. As noted, the EXP guide states that EXP companions on Y or B fares may request complimentary upgrades, but aa.com doesn't seem to mention that.

Under 500-Mile Upgrades (Earned or Purchased)
"AAdvantage Executive Platinum members upgrading companions traveling on any published fare, AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold members traveling on any published fare, non-elite members traveling on fares booked in Y or B.

Under 500-Mile Upgrades (Complimentary)
"AAdvantage Executive Platinum members traveling on any published fare, and AAdvantage Platinum® and AAdvantage Gold® members traveling on fares booked in Y or B (excluding military/government fares)."

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Nov 24, 08 at 9:37 am
Old Nov 24, 08, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point. I'd forgotten that it was worded like that in the EXP Membership Guide.

But now I'm really confused. As noted, the EXP guide states that EXP companions on Y or B fares may request complimentary upgrades, but aa.com seems to state otherwise.

Under 500-Mile Upgrades (Earned or Purchased)
"AAdvantage Executive Platinum members upgrading companions traveling on any published fare, AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold members traveling on any published fare, non-elite members traveling on fares booked in Y or B.
Non-elites on Y or B have to use stickers, regardless of the presence of an EXP companion.

Elites in Y or B get complimentary upgrades, regardless of the presence of an EXP companion.
Old Nov 24, 08, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Non-elites on Y or B have to use stickers, regardless of the presence of an EXP companion.

Elites in Y or B get complimentary upgrades, regardless of the presence of an EXP companion.
I understand that part.

The part that confuses me is that the EXP Guide states that EXP companions on Y or B fares may request complimentary upgrades, but the aa.com upgrade info page states that EXP companions on any purchased fares may request purchased/earned electronic upgrades.
Old Nov 24, 08, 10:02 am

IME you can link the divided PNRs and maintain higher-level priority for the companion; however, linked upgrades are not automated and one usually needs to call in to get the companion upgraded at the sponsor's window.
Well, I'm on a roll today, I should have made it clear that I was referring to the automated process.

Thank you for providing a bit of clarity.
Old Nov 24, 08, 10:20 am

IME you can link the divided PNRs and maintain higher-level priority for the companion; however, linked upgrades are not automated and one usually needs to call in to get the companion upgraded at the sponsor's window. In this case, even if the records are split, the stickers come out of the sponsor's account.
So far I am 50-50 on it. Both times, the records were different with a GLD companion. I called in to link them. The first time worked perfectly, with both the upgrades clearing together (I got two emails). The second time I was the only one upgraded at my window. I called in and they upgraded the companion (assuming X was available). I think it is the way linked upgrade requests are processed.

Search this Thread