Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business on SFO->JFK Redeye. What's it like?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
Business on SFO->JFK Redeye. What's it like?

Never flown on a three class transcon with AA (done several with UA), and the first time my stickers have cleared on a redeye ;-)

What should I expect? What type of seat/bed. Is it NGBC? Will dinner be served since departure is at 22:55?

Thanks for any heads up.

BM
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Not NGBC, but rather a seat w/good recline (much better than say the 757 or MD 80 F seats) and extendable footrest, blanket, pillow. The "late night" menu is available - usually a choice of a salad or soup, also IFE (Archos units) if you'd like. Most people pass on meal and movies in favor of sleep. I don't remember whether Bose headsets are distributed or not. There is no amenity kit.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by bdemaria
I don't remember whether Bose headsets are distributed or not.
Yup, Bose headsets and Archos media players on all AFS transcons - even the redeyes. If you own a pair of Bose headsets, however, I would recommend just using your own. Otherwise, you'll be awoken about 45mins prior to landing on an already short redeye flight.

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Have my own noise cancelling bins. (Had a pair of Bose, but actually prefer my cheaper Audio Technics!m less suction to my ear when I lean against the fuselage.. ;-)

I'll probably fill up on food and vodka before the flight and skip the meal/movies.

BM
Old Nov 22, 2008, 1:03 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Seat is as described above. Along with your drinks and warm nuts, the midnight raid snack option is either a Fruit & Cheese plate with grapes and a roll, or one of 2 other options: cold Chicken breast salad, or cold asian beef salad. Both salads are very good imo and come with a roll. Sometimes that beef is with asian sauce, or on a regular bed of lettuce like the chicken breast is. Very nice and filling. I wish we had these plates for lunch!!!

The entertainment is given via the Over head Screen, or the Personal Entertainment Device (PED), Selection of movies as well as TV sitcoms. Games. Music. If you choose to have one of these, you will be woken up usually 30-60 minutes prior to landing. On the red-eye flights, I've allowed them to be kept until about 25-30 minutes to landing...this allows everyone to sleep longer, and then time to get up and go to bathroom before landing.

During the day, I will have them picked up 60 minutes prior since so much is going on before landing anyway. After the pick-up and usually before landing, there will be a hot-towel service (IF) it wasn't done after take-off. Also sparkling water, OJ, and/or coffee if you choose.

Please note, sometimes the Over Head Screen will be on initially, and is usually turned off once EVERYONE is sleeping, OR no one is watching to allow better sleep for everyone.

If you fly during the week (sun-thu) then you will be among mostly business travelers who sleep during the night. Most of these pax came in that morning for a Business meeting in SFO, and are flying home to JFK. If you fly weekend (Fri-Sat) then you will be among mostly vacationers who will usually stay up through-out the night watching their PEDs and/or drinking.

Hope this helps
Old Nov 22, 2008, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Its this Sunday night.

I was going to return Wed PM, but since I don;t need to be back, I thought I would leave my return until Thurs AM. Upon checking EQMs to the end of the year, I would fall short of EXP by 400 miles, so I'm returning via DCA-DFW-SFO. Was just 4 miles, yes 4 miles short if I returned via LAX...

EXP here I come..

BM
Old Nov 22, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
BM-
I'll be on that flight in 8D. Come say hello if you are so inclined.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

I gather since I'm not allowed into the AC, with a sticker upgrade from O->R.

Oh, well best get my sleep medicine (GG+DC) in one of the bars beforehand. ;-)

BM
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by burtonmadness
Oh, well best get my sleep medicine (GG+DC) in one of the bars beforehand.
In the name of all that is holy, please tell me that you're not drinking Grey Goose with Diet Coke.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by burtonmadness
I gather since I'm not allowed into the AC, with a sticker upgrade from O->R.
Correct - sticker upgrade to domestic J doesn't allow AC entry - but you aren't missing much by not visiting the SFO AC. AAngels are great - club space, not so much.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by dayone
In the name of all that is holy, please tell me that you're not drinking Grey Goose with Diet Coke.
Even tonic water taints it too much, which is way I have it with club soda . GG is nice, but I prefer Stoli.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:13 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
GG is nice, but I prefer Stoli.
If you're buying, I prefer Stoli too.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by dayone
If you're buying, I prefer Stoli too.
If he's buying, why mess around with a wuss drink. Head straight for the 18-year-old single malts ...
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:51 am
Original Poster

I come from the UK, and done several "Spey runs", visiting as many distilleries in one day as you can manage (with a nominated driver of course.).

My record is 8..

BM

Last edited by burtonmadness; Nov 23, 2008 at 2:56 pm
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:02 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Blumie
If he's buying, why mess around with a wuss drink. Head straight for the 18-year-old single malts ...
Or, as aamilesslave and vasantn (RIP) know- a couple of bottles of Brunello

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.