FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   aa.com pricing errors (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/891028-aa-com-pricing-errors-consolidated.html)

burtonmadness Nov 19, 2008 7:31 pm

SFO-JFK put on hold. When go to purchase price triples!

Got a SFO-JFK flight on hold. I go to purchase using my UK credit, on "converting to local currency" price goes from 276 dollars to 466 pounds.

One hell of an exchange rate....

Currently on hold trying to speak with aa web services.. Computer voice says wait will be about 13 minutes...

BM

burtonmadness Nov 19, 2008 7:48 pm

Kept on hold for 15 minutes.

All I can say was great service. The CSR "Mary" understood that there must have been a "computer error" somewhere, she contacted the International Desk, and then asked me to put the purchase through again.

Had to shutdown firefox, and then went back in. There was a note on the reservation about it being re-priced at 186 pounds. All went smooth.

SFO-JFK Sunday redeye, return Thanksgiving day for less than $276/186pounds...

BM

kappa Nov 19, 2008 8:06 pm

The folks at Web Services can do wonders! They have never failed to take care of inadvertent problems - some caused by my error and some caused by aa.com. Always at least ask for their help.

brp Nov 19, 2008 8:06 pm

Yup. Happens quite a bit, and has been discussed many times. Suggestion always given is the same as you did- call and have them fix it. They do it just about every time.

Cheers.

blondeterp Nov 20, 2008 8:47 am

This has happened to me when trying to pay with UK or CAN credit cards, rather than US.
MY question is: Has anyone ever experienced a FAVORABLE incorrect exchange rate?

brp Nov 20, 2008 8:51 am

Originally Posted by blondeterp (Post 10783502)
This has happened to me when trying to pay with UK or CAN credit cards, rather than US.
MY question is: Has anyone ever experienced a FAVORABLE incorrect exchange rate?

I don't think the OP's story is really about exchange rate. This sort of thing happens quite frequently form US purchasers paying in USD- price goes up (and, occasionally, down) from hold to purchase.

Cheers.

thehawk75 Nov 21, 2008 12:51 am

aa.com pricing errors (consolidated)

Well, the holiday season is here, and I was trying to put an itinerary together. Which seems to be rather dismal, but, hey guess that's what you get for not getting your vacation days finalized till now.

At any rate, crummy itinerary aside, I went to purchase my tickets (which were on hold since yesterday), and got one hell of a scare!

At any rate, my total ticket price (taxes included) was supposed to be $578.50, but, on the last page after I enter all my credit card info and hit submit, the 'receipt' tells me Total Fare per Person: $1015.40 :eek:

It seemed to take my pre-tax price and double it, and presented that as the total I 'just' paid.

Granted, in the next two lines it adds $70.80 in taxes/fees and then reports Total Price 578.50 USD

At any rate, I assumed there must be some weird bug, but, nonetheless I immediately screen captured that screen, and also hit the back button screen capturing any and every screen that showed the original $578.50 price. Then called the Platinum help desk. They confirmed that I need not worry, the $578.50 price is what I was being billed, and they also passed me to the aa.com tech support that also confirmed the same thing. Of course, by the tone of their voices I am certain they thought I was smoking something. But, not the case, I've got all all the screen captures saved, and aa.com did in fact report some really wacky information.

Ok, long story short, just reporting a bug on aa.com, but hey, I am curious if anyone else has seen this?

BenjaminNYC Nov 21, 2008 2:18 am

Sounds like a bug. Maybe the price for new bookings changed, and even though AA.com held your price, it showed the new price in one mistaken moment...?

njvandy Nov 21, 2008 2:23 am

Pretty bizarre that the only screen to display the fare incorrectly was after payment. Sounds like you did everything right. Be sure to check your credit card statement but it seems like everything is fine.

mvoight Nov 21, 2008 2:48 am

What do you see, on the receipt, when you go to your res and select "Print Itinerary and Receipt"?

ktremor Nov 21, 2008 7:50 am

Having AA.com Issues with Multi0City Booking

I am trying to book airline tickets for a cruise we are taking in February out of New Orleans and I have found the multi-city booking to be cheaper by $300-$700 than the traditional roundtrip, but are having some issues.

The flights I am trying to book are:

FLT 2435-Feb 15, 2008
DEP BOS 10:35 AM ARR: ORD 12:35 PM

FLT 1447 Feb 15, 2009
DEP: ORD 02:20 PM ARR:MSY 04:40 PM

FLT 366 Feb 22, 2009
DEP: MSY 10:40 AM ARR: ORD 1:05 PM

FLT: 2340 Feb 22, 2009
DEP ORD: 02:15 PM ARR: BOS 05:30 PM

The original price comes up as $884 for 3 people. When I either try to purchase it, it says the price has gone up to $1240 on a screen right before the finish page. When I try to either click purchase or hold from the price increase screen, it brings me back to another screen that says the price is now back down to 884. From that second screen when I click purchase or hold, the website comes up with an error message and I get kicked out of the reservation screen to start over.

Is there some way to get around this?? Does someone have some better routings, my wife does not like to fly much so I am trying to keep it to one connection and no late night arrivals.

Thanks in advance for the help.

sent Nov 21, 2008 9:35 am

I had this same exact bug this week on Wednesday night for an itinerary on hold that I was purchasing. I printed out the screen just in case I got charged double, but the confirmation email reported the right price. I wonder if the bug appeared because the itinerary I bought has a stop each way, whereas when I buy direct flights and haven't noticed this.

robhakari Nov 22, 2008 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by ktremor (Post 10789648)
I am trying to book airline tickets for a cruise we are taking in February out of New Orleans and I have found the multi-city booking to be cheaper by $300-$700 than the traditional roundtrip, but are having some issues.

The flights I am trying to book are:

FLT 2435-Feb 15, 2008
DEP BOS 10:35 AM ARR: ORD 12:35 PM

FLT 1447 Feb 15, 2009
DEP: ORD 02:20 PM ARR:MSY 04:40 PM

FLT 366 Feb 22, 2009
DEP: MSY 10:40 AM ARR: ORD 1:05 PM

FLT: 2340 Feb 22, 2009
DEP ORD: 02:15 PM ARR: BOS 05:30 PM

The original price comes up as $884 for 3 people. When I either try to purchase it, it says the price has gone up to $1240 on a screen right before the finish page. When I try to either click purchase or hold from the price increase screen, it brings me back to another screen that says the price is now back down to 884. From that second screen when I click purchase or hold, the website comes up with an error message and I get kicked out of the reservation screen to start over.

Is there some way to get around this?? Does someone have some better routings, my wife does not like to fly much so I am trying to keep it to one connection and no late night arrivals.

Thanks in advance for the help.

i had an issue somewhat similar to that once. itinerary on hold, went to buy it, kept coming up as a different price. called AA up, and after trying to sort through the problem, they booked the ticket over the phone. the kicker was the said they would give me the base fare for the ticket, so I ended up paying ~150 instead of ~225 that I had it held at (may not be much, but for a college student, it was amazing).