FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ORD AA TATL-Dom Transfer Time (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/890514-ord-aa-tatl-dom-transfer-time.html)

jacknyoc Nov 19, 2008 5:41 pm

ORD AA TATL-Dom Transfer Time

apologies if this has been asked...can't find it specifically in search.

will 1:45 be enough time for AA TATL-AA domestic transfer at ORD late afternoon, mid-week, if no weather delays? I'll be coming in from FRA, traveling solo and will have one checked bag.

thank you

2millionquest Nov 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Deleted

3Cforme Nov 19, 2008 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by jacknyoc (Post 10780020)
apologies if this has been asked...can't find it specifically in search.

will 1:45 be enough time for AA TATL-AA domestic transfer at ORD late afternoon, mid-week, if no weather delays? I'll be coming in from FRA, traveling solo and will have one checked bag.

thank you

Try searching 'wiki american airlines minimum connect time'. I would add 20 minutes to any specified minimum and still wouldn't be thrilled with the last AA flight of the day to my destination.

jacknyoc Nov 19, 2008 6:23 pm

thank you both..very helpful...

I've only transferred at ORD outbound, which is a relative breeze. I appreciate your insights.

Jacobin777 Nov 19, 2008 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by 2millionquest (Post 10780063)
Maybe, if everything goes exactly perfect. Clearing customs and immigration and rechecking bags for your onward flight takes about 45 minutes to an hour. Then you have to transit from T5 to T3, which normally takes about 10 minutes, but can take a bit longer if your timing is off on catching the PeopleMover. Then you have to get through security again at T3. That can take anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes (depending on the usual factors). Then plan on another 10 minutes to get to your gate for your domestic flight (more if the domestic flight is at H18 or something like that).

I know ORD like the back of my hand (used to volunteer there ferrying foreign exchange students from international to domestic flights and vice-versa before 9/11), and I would absolutely not recommend anything under three hours for a transfer like that.

Getting from T5 to T3 confuses the heck out of people who've never done it before. It's actually quite simple, but the signage is horrendous. It's been about two years since the last time I did it, so maybe someone who's done it more recently can chime in and say things have improved, but again, I'd really strongly advise against the 1h45m time frame. To my mind, you're just asking for trouble.

Living in Chicago for 30+ years and still commuting to Chicago every few weeks for the past 1/2 decade, I have to agree..though certainly possible...1h45m is pushing it a bit.

Don't forget, its just not departures which get delayed sometimes, many times its arrivals as well.

Now I've been in a few situation @ ORD where the pilot specifically stated we were going to wait at the gate for late coming pax due to weather and I've been in situations where I've missed my connecting flight due to weather.....fortunately for me 1/2 my family lives in the suburbs so if I miss a flight, I'll get picked up and get to be a junky and raid the fridge and gangster the family room t.v:p.....not to mention drive my mother's beemer around for a day or so....:D

Bottom line..give yourself 2 1/2 hours+...especially during the winter season...

2millionquest Nov 19, 2008 8:37 pm

Deleted

ESpen36 Nov 19, 2008 8:43 pm

Great information!

One addition: if you are AA EXP and connecting from a TATL flight marketed and operated by a OneWorld airline, and your onward connection (of any length, domestic or international) is marketed and operated by a OneWorld airline, then you also have access to the Flagship Lounge located at the end of K concourse.

The same applies if you are connecting from any OneWorld-marketed, OneWorld-operated international flight in First Class (any inventory).

The same applies if you have non-AA OneWorld Emerald status and are connecting from ANY OneWorld-marketed, OneWorld-operated flight.

AA-Platinum Nov 19, 2008 9:37 pm

Quick and SLOW.....

The last time I connected T-5 to T-3 (Spring 2008) it literally took me 20 minutes from the time they opened the door until I was clearing security at T-3 (I only had carry-on baggage; was in Row 21 onthe 763; travel on an American Passport; and we came into M-9, which maybe the closest gate to the arrivals hall).

On previous trips, whoever, it has taken me anywhere from 45-90 minutes to make the connection. I suspect that this is far more normal than my last trip, and others here (judging on what they wrote) may think that even my 45 minute transfers were quick

aktchi Nov 19, 2008 10:38 pm

You should be able to do it. You'd be landing in T5 (International Terminal) and going to T3. A few things you can control:

(1) Have the immigration/customs forms already filled out during the flight.

(2) Use the bathroom in the plane about 30 min before landing. Seriously.

(3) Once out of the plane, walk very fast to the immigration area; 2-3 minutes delay here can add 20-30 minutes depending on lines. Don't stop for bathrooms etc (that's why you went in the flight, see?). While it is not ok to cut in front of people already in line, it is ok to walk past those walking. Running used to be ok, but since 9/11 who knows, stick to walking fast. :)

(4) Collect your luggage, use the green customs channel, but do not go past the swinging doors. Instead find the AA counter and check in your bags with them; they should give you boarding pass too. (If you go past the swinging doors and see people waiting to receive travelers, stop and turn around! Don't leave secure area with your luggage, it'd make your life quite a bit harder.)

(5) Take the airport train to T3. Once there, you can use any security line to go in. Again, don't have anything on you (liquids, sharp metals, etc) that would delay you at security, walk fast to your gate.

That's it. One secret at any unfamiliar place and tight schedule is not to guess answers yourself but keep asking questions and reconfirming the answers with at least one other person as you walk.

2millionquest Nov 19, 2008 11:35 pm

Don't forget the DutyFree you bought before you left Europe

Deleted

mvoight Nov 20, 2008 3:56 am

Originally Posted by aktchi (Post 10781275)
You should be able to do it. You'd be landing in T5 (International Terminal) and going to T3. A few things you can control:

(1) Have the immigration/customs forms already filled out during the flight.

(2) Use the bathroom in the plane about 30 min before landing. Seriously.

(3) Once out of the plane, walk very fast to the immigration area; 2-3 minutes delay here can add 20-30 minutes depending on lines. Don't stop for bathrooms etc (that's why you went in the flight, see?). While it is not ok to cut in front of people already in line, it is ok to walk past those walking. Running used to be ok, but since 9/11 who knows, stick to walking fast. :)

(4) Collect your luggage, use the green customs channel, but do not go past the swinging doors. Instead find the AA counter and check in your bags with them; they should give you boarding pass too.

(5) Take the airport train to T3. Once there, you can use any security line to go in. Again, don't have anything on you (liquids, sharp metals, etc) that would delay you at security, walk fast to your gate.

That's it. One secret at any unfamiliar place and tight schedule is not to guess answers yourself but keep asking questions and reconfirming the answers with at least one other person as you walk.

They should only take the green Custom's channel if qualified

ty97 Nov 20, 2008 4:12 am

Great info, 2millionquest. To answer a couple of area you were unclear about:

AA bag re-check happens in T5 right after you exit customs, before going to the train.

IIRC, the signage for the peoplemover says "Train to Terminals 1,2,3" (or perhaps Train to Other Terminals)

Also, IIRC, the check-in line at T3 right in front of the bridge from the train may now have an elite access queue, negating the need to go left down to the L gate security line.

brownie1967 Nov 20, 2008 7:22 am

I am facing this very connection scenario this coming weekend, so a double edged sword of (1) being grateful for the information and (2) being now worried that my connection of 2hrs20-ish might not be enough.

2millionquest Nov 20, 2008 8:46 am

Deleted

ohioflyer Nov 20, 2008 8:57 am

Originally Posted by ty97 (Post 10782320)
Also, IIRC, the check-in line at T3 right in front of the bridge from the train may now have an elite access queue, negating the need to go left down to the L gate security line.

Although it has the Priority AAccess signage, this is now a TSA "black diamond" lane and anyone can use it, even those who are not so expert at travelling as they may think they are.