FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Clarifying AA's relationship to EC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/890143-clarifying-aas-relationship-ec.html)

KNRG Nov 18, 2008 5:55 pm

Clarifying AA's relationship to EC

I'm trying to see whom to book with for an OpenSkies (EC) trip coming up and AA has the same rules as BA for the booking, but i'd not get any AA miles despite their systems allowing me to attach my number to the flight, right?

BA and AA both offer a better deal on cancellation or changes then booking direct through EC, but if there's no miles, is there any reason to book with AA instead of BA?

SFOJFK Nov 18, 2008 9:12 pm

Didn't think EC was member of OW like JQ isn't either for QF.

KNRG Nov 18, 2008 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by SFOJFK (Post 10774781)
Didn't think EC was member of OW like JQ isn't either for QF.

Yeah, that appears to be the case. So.. no perks anyone can think of for booking via AA?

How about if for some reason EC goes poof (which some think likely, others feel it very unlikely) would being booked via AA offer any better recourse then being booked via BA?

skye1 Nov 18, 2008 9:53 pm

You can earn BAEC miles for it, if you're a BAEC member.

Just flew EC JFK-ORY a couple of weeks ago, in their premium economy product. The in-flight experience was fantastic, all that the glowing reports on FT claim it to be.

If one is not desperate for miles, and just looking for a great flight over the water, and EC's price is cheaper, I'd say go w/ EC.

erik123 Nov 19, 2008 7:17 am

There have been no reports of successful earning yet - but if you book on AA I would not be surprised if you did get the miles (with BA miles as back-up).

I concur that it's a great product.

skye1 Nov 19, 2008 2:43 pm

I don't think that, even if booked on AA.com, one would get AA miles for an EC flight, as EC is not a member of Oneworld nor an AAdvantage Partner airline.

aamilesslave Nov 19, 2008 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by erik123 (Post 10776470)
There have been no reports of successful earning yet - but if you book on AA I would not be surprised if you did get the miles (with BA miles as back-up).

I concur that it's a great product.

I'm sure HNL could let us know (via UpCheck(tm)) the likelyhood of getting AA miles on an EC flight in any circumstance, but I'm sure that his results in this instance would be a percentage with a zero before the decimal point, as well as several zeroes immediately following the decimal point.