Emotional Support Animals. Are you kidding me? A rant.

Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
I'd like to know what kind of small horse is the size of a lap child.

It's about the size of St. Bernards. There is only one school in the U.S. that I know of that train miniature horse to do guide work. They are actually really cute.

The Guide Horse Foundation
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:17 pm

I haven't read this whole thread yet but I wanted to add that I know a woman with an "emotional support" dog. He is a trained service dog and the woman suffers from post traumatic shock/syndrome. You would not look at her and see a disability but the dog is necessary regardless.

I'm sorry for the OP and the lack of compassion from the FAs regarding his allergies. I also saw some of that other thread and was appalled at the lack at training some so-called service dogs have displayed. I guess a first time flyer can be nervous even if its a dog?

Deb
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Cynnamin
It's about the size of St. Bernards.
On average that's about right, but frequently minis are even smaller than that.

They are actually really cute.
Some people think so.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:37 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
You'd be surprised at the number of dog shows (conformation, obedience or agility) each month. There is one practically every weekend!
Yes there are competitions nearly every weekend, and for at least 98% of them, the people who go to these shows generally drive to them...When I was growing up in Virginia, I would go to several of them in the tri-state area with my girlfriend (no I wasn't showing her). We went to several Field trials as well as several agility. The Obedience was always rather boring unless you were actually rooting for a particular dog.

I'm really impressed in how the Eukanuba National Championship has really started to take flight within the past few years. But nothing will ever top the Westminster Kennel Clubs.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:56 pm

I actually have an emotional support animal, and though I have not taken her on any flights yet I have taken her to crowded weekend long events for over 3 years. She is always bathed and teeth brushed and everybody loves her. I do have medication and the proper documentation for her.

I actually found this thread because I am trying to decide if I can handle my holiday travel plans without her. Not that it is anybody's business, but I have been through a great deal of emotional stress and trauma in the last 7 years and have had anxiety and insomnia for years. I can literally go for more than 3 days without sleeping even with medication if she is not with me, and I have a great deal of anxiety about flying.

My mother has also had a lot of stress, loss and heartbreak in the last year. She has requested that I spend the holidays with her. Do I ignore her wishes so I can accomodate people who can't see my disabilities?

My dog is my security blanket. Do I feel silly about it sometimes, or self-concious? Definitely. But having her with me has allowed me to reach for certain dreams I wouldn't be able to attain otherwise. She is a barrier to too much coming at me. I put a cute collar on her or some other item that distracts strangers from me to her. It works for me and my therapist and doctor agree.

Sometimes it is a challenge to have her with me. Her needs and well-being always need to be considered as well as mine. I don't think she would have nearly as much issue with flying as the person who started this thread would have with her there, but for me, I'd be happiest on a plane if I could curl up under the seat with her. Does that mean I should never travel? I grew up seeing the world and would like to see much more of it. It's just hard for me to get there.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:53 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
I encountered a person who had what I presume was an Emotional Support Dog to deal with his Aspergers, and I could tell how differently he reacted to his environment when he was separated from the dog for a while, and how the behaviors stopped immediately when he came back into contact. It was quite amazing.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
I encountered a person who had what I presume was an Emotional Support Dog to deal with his Aspergers, and I could tell how differently he reacted to his environment when he was separated from the dog for a while, and how the behaviors stopped immediately when he came back into contact. It was quite amazing.

If you had to guess, would you suspect the 2 people the OP was referring to, each needed an Emotional Support Dog, and just happened to be involved in a need to take their Emotional Support Dogs to dog shows regularly?

Should the needs of the people needing emotional support dogs outweigh the needs of those with allergies?

I suspect there are more people that are allergic than there are that must have a dog on the plane for emotional support.

The needs of the many should outweigh those of the few.
I'd bet that Priceline guy would understand. He has friends from other places.

Last edited by mvoight; Nov 20, 2008 at 2:33 am
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by mvoight
If you had to guess, would you suspect the 2 people the OP was referring to, each needed an Emotional Support Dog, and just happened to be involved in a need to take their Emotional Support Dogs to dog shows regularly?
No

Should the needs of the people needing emotional support dogs outweigh the needs of those with allergies?
Under current law, yes. Practically, accommodations should be made on both sides but are currently completely opposite to airline policy and flier culture.

(For example, support animal passenger and allergic passenger should probably have been seated in 1A and 6F, or equivalents, but can you imagine the size of the thread on here when the original occupant of 1F is moved to accomplish that?)
I suspect there are more people that are allergic than there are that must have a dog on the plane for emotional support.
Probably.
The needs of the many should outweigh those of the few.
I'd bet that Priceline guy would understand. He has friends from other places.
Except in situations like F seat pitch vs Y, or priority boarding, right?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: DL Silver, CO Silver, AA, Wyndham ByRequest
I've been half-jokingly trying to get my wife to claim our pet rabbit as an emotional support animal. Beats paying the pet fee, and as many airlines only accept cats and dogs in-cabin, it's about the only way we could fly with it.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Op here - I got a call from the AA executive office in response to a follow-up email I sent to customer service. When she calls me back, I'll fill you all in.

Any idea why they'd be calling? Is she going to offer me miles??

PS - my follow up email was basically this - I understand that you have to allow emotional support animals on, but what should I do in these situations? I approached the flight attendant, and that didn't work. Should I ask every time before I board a flight (which is now hovering near 100 flights this year)?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Goin-2-AA
Animals have been found to assist with emotional support with folks 'on the spectrum' (autism) and for cancer patients at stage 3 or higher. Also, it has been noted that young burn victims have shown more emotional stability in the presence of dogs.

Again...not relevant to your fellow passengers most likely.

cheers...
Indeed - or anyone who is a friend.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
To the OP. you got a bad attitude. Take an allergy pill. I too have lots of allergies. If you got it that bad , BRING MEDICATION.

You say they they were show dogs. How can you tell? Just because the owners were considerate enough to get them groomed before the trip.

People that complain about clean well behaved dogs, these are not happy people. What else is lacking in your life.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by TheRoadIsLife
To the OP. you got a bad attitude. Take an allergy pill. I too have lots of allergies. If you got it that bad , BRING MEDICATION.

You say they they were show dogs. How can you tell? Just because the owners were considerate enough to get them groomed before the trip.

People that complain about clean well behaved dogs, these are not happy people. What else is lacking in your life.
Well, thank you, but I think that my attitude is fine. Again, I'll say it - my big problem was with the rudeness of the flight attendant. And yes, I had with me and took allergy medicine.

I could tell that they were show dogs because the woman talked about how one of the dogs barely made its class. If it were more than 1/4" taller, it would not have qualified. Now, do you know any other activities for which someone measures a dog's height to its shoulder?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Untrained/uncaged animal a safety & health hazard to pax

The issue is NOT the OP's attitude towards pets on the plane.

The dog (and owner) was obviously untrained, which should negate any claim of being a support animal--emotional or otherwise. IF they aren't trained, no special privileges. If the alleged "special needs" of the person (patient) are not sufficient to spring for some training so the animal can behave properly in public, then the "need" isn't enough. If there is a claim that they can't afford the training, what about a simple carrying container/cage? They should be able to draw comfort from the animal through the thin wall of the travel container, or does the patient need to have the animal injected as an IV during the flight?

The OP has a genuine concern about the safety, health and well being of not only that planeload of passengers but also following planeloads of pax who will have to put up with dog hair, dander, urine and feces (smell as well as associated potential germs) on the upholstry, carpeting, etc.

Also, the most likely time that a catastrophic incident will occur is during take-off or landing, at which time unsecured items become airborne missiles. Unsecured pets are potential missiles with sharp teeth, claws, and an instinct to bite/claw to defend themselves in situations that they don't understand and feel danger. Don't claim you can hold onto the pet in such a situation as studies (and the experience of friends of mine) of pets in vehicles in crashes show that's an impossibility. You try to make that claim about an infant/toddler in your car and have it ride in your lap and you are liable to have the child forcibly removed from you by police and yourself facing fines, possibly jail, and a very real chance of losing custody of the child.

Steve
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
UrbanFirefly - Welcome to Flyertalk and thanks for sharing your story.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.