Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals. Are you kidding me? A rant.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:47 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Where I am at, they operate a large vet school, and if you are stuck flying when the vet students come to or leave from the island the entire plane is full of "emotional support animals."

Last time I flew during one of their breaks I counted 10 pets masquerading as emotional service dogs on an ATR, one of which was a mastiff, who belonged to the a girl across the row from me, but who instead sat in the seat next to me because he couldn't fit between the seats or be in the isle.

Also, since these are clearly pets and not trained service animals, they don't behave as trained animals would, and instead are scared pets.

I completely agree that it is frustrating, and feel that these people are taking advantage of a system to help people in need.

But really, if a person is so emotionally unstable that they cannot bear to be apart from their beloved fluffy or fido for a mere 2.5 hour flight, what in the world are they doing moving to a foreign country for 3 years (which is how long the vet students stay on the island)?!?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I have two Jack Russells which are of great and constant emotional support to me (as I am to them, along with feeding and providing substantial care, especially in the case of Elijah, given to misadventures).

I would no more haul either of the two along on an airplane, especially in the cabin (and not in the hold either), than I would fly nekkid. I care a great deal for both of them, and they demonstrate substantial affection for me, but neither would enjoy my vacations any more than I would enjoy having to provide for them during my vacations.

I long ago accepted the three viable alternatives...(a) a house/dog sitter ('cuz if you asked'em, most dogs would be happy to tell you that staying home is the optimal approach), (b) in the care of relatives (Ain't that what kids are for?), or (c) "Camp Happy Dog", the more acceptable of local boarding kennels.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Okay I'm not trying to be rude here, but I do have a question for the OP. Would your reaction have been any different had they been seeing eye dogs?

I will admit that I don't get the whole emotional support animal thing. But legally they have to accommodate that just like they do seeing eye dogs. Airlines are now finally starting to require medical paperwork to prove the animals are indeed emotional support animals and not just pets because people do try to bend the rules.

But my question to the op has to do with a seeing eye dog would have been out and would obviously be necessary for the visually impaired passenger. Dander would be flying about and the OP would still have the same issue.

I think the FA should have offed to move the two to opposite ends of the F cabin in order to reasonably accommodate them both. If that would not work, then the OP should maybe have been asked to be rebooked on a different flight because of the allergies. People in need of service animals are all protected under the ADA, and there is really nothing the airline can do about that.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
Okay I'm not trying to be rude here, but I do have a question for the OP. Would your reaction have been any different had they been seeing eye dogs?

I will admit that I don't get the whole emotional support animal thing. But legally they have to accommodate that just like they do seeing eye dogs. Airlines are now finally starting to require medical paperwork to prove the animals are indeed emotional support animals and not just pets because people do try to bend the rules.

But my question to the op has to do with a seeing eye dog would have been out and would obviously be necessary for the visually impaired passenger. Dander would be flying about and the OP would still have the same issue.

I think the FA should have offed to move the two to opposite ends of the F cabin in order to reasonably accommodate them both. If that would not work, then the OP should maybe have been asked to be rebooked on a different flight because of the allergies. People in need of service animals are all protected under the ADA, and there is really nothing the airline can do about that.

Good post!
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:57 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by chicaloca453

My GF is an anxious flyer. Has to take meds that zonk her out for full day and a half. Since she got a miniature dachshund and started traveling with it, this is not a problem for her. Also not a problem if she's traveling with someone she knows well (usually me).

Up 'til 2 years ago, I would probably have been solidly in the "that's BS!" crowd. But given my recent experiences with her, I'd have to say I am convinced it can make a difference. Given the cost of flying the dog around (or, alternatively, me going with her or having to have someone drop her off and pick her up because she's too "fuzzy" to deal with it) and her lost productivity if she's using her anxiety meds, I told her last year she ought to look into having the dog designated a service animal. She's reluctant to do so, but will probably give in when she has to travel more next year since it's almost as much to take the dog along as to pay for an extra ticket...

She (the dog) is 7 pounds and always travels in a crate, so nothing out of the ordinary in that regard.

cheers!
Old Nov 19, 2008, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Since folks are asking, it was the rude quip from the flight attendant.

Then I got even more irked by the fact that these people were clearly abusing an accomodation (the ability to have an emotional support animal). I still strain to understand why people just don't use Xanax - but that's neither here nor there. The fact of the matter is that these were show dogs, and the owners probably had a dr. friend write them a "letter." Or they may have written it themselves. It's not exactly the hardest thing to fake with Word these days...

So I find fault with them for improperly taking advantage of the situation and I find fault with the FA for how he handled the situation.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by AAir_head
My GF is an anxious flyer. Has to take meds that zonk her out for full day and a half. Since she got a miniature dachshund and started traveling with it, this is not a problem for her. Also not a problem if she's traveling with someone she knows well (usually me).
I sympathize with your GF, but I hope that she doesn't get a doctor's note saying that she needs to travel with an emotional support animal. A person who needs an emotional support dog should be able to qualify whatever emotional issue as a chronic disability, which in her case is not I assume. Needing a dog because a person is an anxious flyer and wanting to avoid cost associated with flying the 7 pound dog as a regular cabin animal should not be enough reasons to travel with an "emotional support dog".

Sorry if I come across as rude, but like I mentioned before I have friends who travel with guide dogs or diabetic detection dogs who encounter difficulty when traveling because more & more people are abusing this "emotional support dog" loophole.

I don't think the OP would have been as upset if the dog was a guide dog, but that is exactly the point. The poodles weren't guide dogs or other actual service animals, but pet dogs that were masquerading as a service dogs. Shame on the owners and shame on the FA for not handling the situation better.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by thechosenuno
The fact of the matter is that these were show dogs, and the owners probably had a dr. friend write them a "letter." Or they may have written it themselves. It's not exactly the hardest thing to fake with Word these days...

So I find fault with them for improperly taking advantage of the situation and I find fault with the FA for how he handled the situation.
While I'll agree that the way the FA handled it was not right, I do have several other questions that come to mind.

So how exactly do you know they were "Show Dogs" and not emotional support animals? I know that the AKC Westminister Dog show is not until the 2nd week in February (generally) so I'm curious as to where in the world would they be going with Show dogs at this time of the year?

Being an avid pet lover myself, I've flown on flights that have had "Show Dogs" on them and I must admit, they are better groomed and better behaved than the average ExP and/or PL.

Not trying to be rude, but if these dogs were in fact "Show Dogs" then their behavior would not have been bothersome. They would have been well groomed that the dander would not have been any worse than sitting next to a pax that has a scruffy animal lint all over his suit.

Just an FYI on service/emotional support animals
Customer Policies. Boarding - 3.10
Service Animals
The Department of Transportation has regulations (14CFR part 382) that require airlines to allow customers to fly with their service animals in the cabin on all U.S. airlines. The DOT Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) does not require crewmembers to verify, nor should they inquire, as to the legitimacy of a service or emotional support animal. If questions or an unusual situation occurs at the gate regarding the animal, contact the Agent, LCRO, or CCRO as outlined under the Customer Acceptance policy for any customer related concern.

Service animals are defined as animals fully trained and certified to assist disabled individuals (e.g. Vision, Hearing or mobility assistance, assist the developmentally disable, alert of seizures, etc)

Service animals can also be search and rescue animals or they may be trained to detect drugs or explosives. These animals travel with their handler and are well trained to lay at the handlers feet throughout the flight.
  • There are no F/A paperwork codes next to the customer's name for a service animal.
  • Service animals are not pets. The care and supervision of a service animal is the sole responsibility of the customer with the disability whom the animal is accompanying.
  • There is no limit to the number of service animals that can be on any flight.
  • Service animals do not need to be confined in a container or cage or kennel.
  • A service animal may accompany the customer anywhere within his/her allocated seat space, but may not be located in an emergency exit row.
  • No part of the animal may extend into the aisle of the aircraft or into the foot or eated space of an adjacent customer who does not wish to share space with the animal.
  • A service animal is considered an extension of the customer and may follow the customer to the lavatory or throughout the cabin.

Emotional Support Service Animals
Emotional support service animals with documented mental health therapeutic functions may accompany a customer to assist with a disability (or hidden disability).
  • Emotional support animals may be a dog or cat, or may include other animals (e.g., monkeys, small horses, pigs, etc.) on a case by case basis.
  • These animals are not required to be in a kennel and may accompany the customer anywhere within their allocated seat space including lap, providing the emotional support animal is the approximate size of a lap child or smaller.
  • Customers with animals may NOT be located in an emergency exit row/seat
  • An emotional support animal is considered an extension of the customer and may follow the customer to the lavatory or throughout the cabin.
  • There are no F/A paperwork codes next to the customer's name for emotional support animals.

Celebrity Animals
Celebrity animals are pets seen on popular TV programs, commercials or films. Celebrity animals may travel on all domestic flights in the cabin except to or from Hawaii. The animal itself must be the celebrity, these arrangements do not apply to the pet of a celebrity.

The following criteria are to be met for the animal to travel:
  • Celebrity animals will usually travel in First Class, but may travel in any cabin providing the animal is seated with the companion/handler/owner.
  • The animal companion/handler/owner must provide their own seat cushion and seatbelt adapter for animal to be strapped in the seat or the animal may be seated at the feet of the companion/handler/owner during takeoff and landing.
  • Celebrity animals are not required to travel in a pet kennel
  • During the flight, the animal is required to remain at the seat nex to the companion/handler/owner.
  • The customer and animal may not occupy and exit row/seat.
Customer service will create a confirmed record with the name of the Celebrity animal, and the animal will have a CODE on the F/A paperwork.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Interesting that there are no codes on the F/A paperwork. Nor is the F/A even allowed to ask. So if an animal makes it onto the flight (i.e. - one that is supposed to be in a kennel) the owner is free to take the animal out of the kennel and have it in the cabin.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:29 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Ones that are actual pets and the pax have actually followed the rules to bring little fi-fi onboard, then they must remain in the kennel at all times, under the seat. These pets are listed on the FA Paperwork. There is a limit of allowed 'pets' on board.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
Emotional support animals may be a dog or cat, or may include other animals (e.g., monkeys, small horses, pigs, etc.) on a case by case basis.
Small horses?

P.S. If I were a celebrity animal, I would not be pleased that I could not go to Hawaii. In fact, I think I smell a lawsuit.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by dayone
I agree that the stated 'tude needs to be lost.

I've sat next to two service animals so I can offer a suggestion. Let sleeping service animals lie. After getting over my petty inconvenience, the animals made for interesting flights. The more memorable included a dog looking out the window as the owner slept.
If only everyone could be so reasonable...

Originally Posted by Cynnamin
I don't think the OP would have been as upset if the dog was a guide dog, but that is exactly the point. The poodles weren't guide dogs or other actual service animals, but pet dogs that were masquerading as a service dogs. Shame on the owners and shame on the FA for not handling the situation better.
Poodles? I don't recall the OP mentioning poodles. Had the dogs on board actually been poodles, the OP's allergies wouldn't have flared as poodles don't shed and have virtually no dander.

So how exactly do you know they were "Show Dogs" and not emotional support animals? I know that the AKC Westminister Dog show is not until the 2nd week in February (generally) so I'm curious as to where in the world would they be going with Show dogs at this time of the year?
I also wonder why the OP thought these were show dogs.

Fyi, though, if one were so inclined one could attend an AKC dog show
almost any week of the year.

Being an avid pet lover myself, I've flown on flights that have had "Show Dogs" on them and I must admit, they are better groomed and better behaved than the average ExP and/or PL.
That's a fact, Jack.

Not trying to be rude, but if these dogs were in fact "Show Dogs" then their behavior would not have been bothersome. They would have been well groomed that the dander would not have been any worse than sitting next to a pax that has a scruffy animal lint all over his suit.
Also true.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:02 pm

You'd be surprised at the number of dog shows (conformation, obedience or agility) each month. There is one practically every weekend!

Well groomed but better behaved? Don't tell competitive K-9 obedience people that.

Last edited by Cynnamin; Nov 19, 2008 at 6:11 pm
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Poodles? I don't recall the OP mentioning poodles. Had the dogs on board actually been poodles, the OP's allergies wouldn't have flared as poodles don't shed and have virtually no dander.

I have no idea why I thought the OP said the dogs were poodles. Brain fart... You're right. It does happen but most people are not allergic to poodles because poodles have hair, not fur.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
Small horses?

P.S. If I were a celebrity animal, I would not be pleased that I could not go to Hawaii. In fact, I think I smell a lawsuit.
I'd like to know what kind of small horse is the size of a lap child.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.