Wiki Posts
Search

Rain Deflector....?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2008, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Rain Deflector....?

Just sharing...

My LAS to STL flight was pulled back into the gate when the ground crew noticed something wrong with the landing gear. They had one bad tire, and planned to change them both - should be done in 45 minutes.

After about 2 hours they told us we were switching planes. While we waited for our new plane to be unloaded, the DFW passengers boarded our old "damaged" plane.

I asked why it was safe to fly to DFW on that plane but not STL.

A passenger said that the rain deflector was damaged, and since it was not raining in DFW we swapped planes. I'm not sure where he got his info, perhaps he was an A&P.

Since no one from AA told the other passengers what was going on and it caused a bit of commotion when we watched our "bad" plane back out of the gate before we did.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Poor communication at the very least.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dunno about the veracity of the story, but in the link below you can see the front gear rain deflector; it's the attachment behind the front tires:

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Image:Am...flight_577.jpg
Old Nov 17, 2008, 5:43 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, Marriott LT PLT
I've been curious about those - does anyone know what the devices do? My guess is that they prevent displaced water from being directed towards the engines on takeoff/landing roll.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by boxedlunch
I've been curious about those - does anyone know what the devices do? My guess is that they prevent displaced water from being directed towards the engines on takeoff/landing roll.
You guessed correctly.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Gandhi90s
Poor communication at the very least.
Where? It's perfectly logical. The rain deflector wasn't needed for the DFW flight, so they swapped planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.