Award First and Baggage

Old Nov 16, 2008, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Question Award First and Baggage

I know if you book first class you do not have to pay for baggage. What happens if you book a First class award ticket....is baggage free?
Old Nov 16, 2008, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
You tell us:

http://www.aa.com/baggage

The following are on the exception list:
• First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
• First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
Old Nov 16, 2008, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT
The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a bag provided the bag is within the weight allowance:

* For the first checked bag, customers who buy a ticket before June 15, 2008
* For the second checked bag, customers who purchased a ticket before May 12, 2008
* Customers originating travel in the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada and traveling to an international destination beyond the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada
* Customers originating travel outside the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada and traveling to an international destination
* Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
* Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
* Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection®
* Customers traveling on government or military fares
* Military passengers on active duty
* AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members
* oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
* Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
* First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
* First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
* First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in

* AAirpass travel
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:44 pm
Suspended

With a first award ticket i understand that the first and second are free. How much does the third checked luggage item cost?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:47 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiUtah
With a first award ticket i understand that the first and second are free. How much does the third checked luggage item cost?
Third checked bag for a single traveler?

Cheers.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 10:08 pm
Suspended

What is the fee for a single traveller on an F award ticket to check in three pieces of luggage on a domestic ticket? Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2008, 10:21 pm

What is the fee for a single traveller on an F award ticket to check in three pieces of luggage on a domestic ticket? Thanks!
http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...heckBagFee.jsp

$100 each way. At that price, depending on where you're going, you might just be better off buying a ticket for a friend to come along! (Or, of course, not bring a third bag).
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by rbessler
http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...heckBagFee.jsp

$100 each way. At that price, depending on where you're going, you might just be better off buying a ticket for a friend to come along! (Or, of course, not bring a third bag).
Or, if flying as an elite or J/F pax, just fly one of the carriers that have a more generous baggage allowance. BA (3 in J/F), DL, CO (3 for elites or J/F), etc.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Given your FT username, you might be well served to also look at the aa.com sports equipment page since ski gear incurs fees separate from the regular baggage allowance.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 7:32 pm
Suspended

What if i purchase an F ticket. Will the third piece of luggage still be $100!?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Given your FT username, you might be well served to also look at the aa.com sports equipment page since ski gear incurs fees separate from the regular baggage allowance.
Specifically a ski or snowboard bag, plus a boot bag, count together as a single item.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:19 pm

What if i purchase an F ticket. Will the third piece of luggage still be $100!?
Yup, sorry. AA doesn't offer any exceptions to the third bag rule (or the weight rule, for that matter). $100 each way for everybody for that third bag.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.