AUS monitor question

Old Nov 14, 08, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
AUS monitor question

Does anyone know why AUS doesn't have the typical AA monitors by their gates? It's a fairly busy focus city with a lot of elites, so I would think that AA would deploy the usual monitors.

TIA
Old Nov 14, 08, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Someone must know, like AA or the AUS airport authority. So your answer is yes.
Old Nov 14, 08, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
Ok, now that was funny! Well played! LOL!

Regards
Old Nov 14, 08, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Well it does suppose that a whole load of generally non-AA employees or non-AUS employees ,e.g. the membership here, have insider sources for such answers. Or that anyone cares about such trivia. Really how would one expect a real answer here, to that?
Old Nov 14, 08, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post
Does anyone know why AUS doesn't have the typical AA monitors by their gates? It's a fairly busy focus city with a lot of elites, so I would think that AA would deploy the usual monitors.

TIA

Catbert, sarcasm aside from the oh so helpful responders, as someone who earlier this month flew in and out of AUS for the first time in several years I was taken back by the monitor situation. And I too wondered. I was trying to figure out when my flight would be boarding and was it boarding and it was somewhat confusing to me. I wondered the same "trivial" question you did. No one here may know the answer or care to know the answer but you aren't the only one who wondered that recently (and in my case I thought the monitor situation was mildly annoying and unhelpful).

Last edited by zipadee; Nov 14, 08 at 11:34 pm
Old Nov 14, 08, 11:34 pm
Original Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktoronto

Ok, now that was funny! Well played! LOL!

Sure...when the only reason you post is to make fun of someone else. The respondent has a long history of doing just that. He seems to live for that opportunity.
Old Nov 15, 08, 6:04 am

Programs: DL DM; AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post

TIA
This is a guess, more than anything, but all the monitors at AUS, for all airlines, at all 25 gates are the same, IME. I'm guessing that an AUS airport "rule"
Old Nov 15, 08, 10:03 am

Programs: AA 1MM PLT, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ty97 View Post
This is a guess, more than anything, but all the monitors at AUS, for all airlines, at all 25 gates are the same, IME. I'm guessing that an AUS airport "rule"
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Southwest has different monitors (and indeed, completely different gate arrangements).
Old Nov 15, 08, 2:25 pm

Aus aa fids

AUS Flight Information Displays or FIDS are controlled by the City of Austin. If any of you live in Austin you know how the city likes to be deeply involved in most aspects of the citizens lives. Their system polls SABRE for the info and then displays. It would be great if we had them. I think the standby and uograde lists are cool and helpful. They may allow the airlines to run their own sometime.

Last edited by AAgent; Nov 15, 08 at 2:33 pm
Old Nov 15, 08, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
Well it does suppose that a whole load of generally non-AA employees or non-AUS employees ,e.g. the membership here, have insider sources for such answers. Or that anyone cares about such trivia. Really how would one expect a real answer here, to that?
Well it looks like someone on the board does know the answer
Old Nov 15, 08, 6:35 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by AAgent View Post
I think the standby and uograde lists are cool and helpful. They may allow the airlines to run their own sometime.
To be honest I don't really see the value of knowing you're 4th or 8th or 25th on the upgrade list when you don't know how many passengers have already boarded? If you're going to have the display, why doesn't it also tell you how many open seats there are, or even grey out the names beyond the point where they can't possibly get upgraded?
Old Nov 16, 08, 11:06 am

Programs: UA gold, AA EXP, HHonors diamond, DL Plat
This is odd. AUS's closest airport with similar levels of AA service, SAT, has the monitors. The AUS AA terminal is far more updated than that of SAT (which is on schedule for demolition and rebuilding) and AUS has an Admirals Club, which SAT does not.
I have to think that AUS has to have the same level of elites awaiting upgrade status, standby and cleared passengers, etc.
Old Nov 16, 08, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by MIA-SAT View Post
I have to think that AUS has to have the same level of elites awaiting upgrade status, standby and cleared passengers, etc.
In that respect, AUS has much more elites and in particular more EXPs than SAT.

This is apparently airport and not AA policy.
Old Nov 16, 08, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by bernardd View Post
To be honest I don't really see the value of knowing you're 4th or 8th or 25th on the upgrade list when you don't know how many passengers have already boarded? If you're going to have the display, why doesn't it also tell you how many open seats there are, or even grey out the names beyond the point where they can't possibly get upgraded?
Although showing the number of open seats (a UA-style display) would be a plus, showing the full standby/upgrade lists cuts back the number of questions asked ("Am I on the list? What number am I?") of the gate agents.

Search this Thread