Connecting from non-OW in Frankfurt

Old Nov 12, 08, 7:47 pm
BAK
Original Poster

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Connecting from non-OW in Frankfurt

Next week, I will have to connect from Swiss to AA in Frankfurt. At the time of booking I thought 90 mins was plenty of time. But on the way to GVA I realized that this connection requires passing through two! security checkpoints, so I am a bit less sure. As I understand, the Swiss will not be able to issue the AA boarding pass and it will have to be done at the gate. But I was also wondering if the AA also had a permanently manned desk in FRA? Any other pointers on this connection?

Thank you.

Last edited by BAK; Nov 12, 08 at 7:54 pm
Old Nov 12, 08, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BAK View Post
Next week, I will have to connect from Swiss to AA in Frankfurt. At the time of booking I thought 90 mins was plenty of time. But on the way to GVA I realized that this connection requires passing through two! security checkpoints, so I am a bit less sure. As I understand, the Swiss will not be able to issue the AA boarding pass and it will have to be done at the gate. But I was also wondering if the AA also had a permanently manned desk in FRA? Any other pointers on this connection?

Thank you.

AA ticket counters at FRA are open 7am-5pm every day except Saturday (3pm).

The reason why it's an annoying connection is because you are connecting from a non-Schengen country (Switzerland) through a Schengen country (Germany) to a non-Schengen country (USA). Thus, yes, you will have the additional security checks because you will be treated as an arriving international passenger.
Old Nov 12, 08, 8:11 pm
BAK
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
AA ticket counters at FRA are open 7am-5pm every day except Saturday (3pm).

The reason why it's an annoying connection is because you are connecting from a non-Schengen country (Switzerland) through a Schengen country (Germany) to a non-Schengen country (USA). Thus, yes, you will have the additional security checks because you will be treated as an arriving international passenger.
Thank you Espen36. Yes, I know about the Schengen rules. But pre 9/11 there no security check-points in FRA for any international connections. Do you know by any chance where the AA counter is located? I hope it is airside, terminal C?
Old Nov 12, 08, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Thank you Espen36. Yes, I know about the Schengen rules. But pre 9/11 there no security check-points in FRA for any international connections. Do you know by any chance where the AA counter is located? I hope it is airside, terminal C?

The AA ticket counter is landside.

But there is also a gate service counter where the AA flights depart (located just outside the "holding areas" by the boarding door). It should be staffed by 90 minutes or so before boarding. As long as you check in immediately, you shouldn't lose your seat.

In your situation, I don't recommend going landside (thereby having to clear Schengen immigration/customs. But you will still have to clear the security checks.

(assuming no checked bags, of course)
Old Nov 12, 08, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Total Rewards PLT, Starbucks GLD
Also, I wouldn't automatically assume that LX can't check you in and tag your bags to your final destination. Ask at the counter, but have a backup plan.
Old Nov 12, 08, 8:39 pm

90 minutes is plenty (assuming your inbound flight is not late more than 20 min or so) - assuming your luggage is checked thru, which should be possible.
AA and Swiss are both in Terminal 1.
You can either take the train or walk to Area C (you likely will arrive in A). Stay airside and look for signs for the C gates, find the AA gate and get your boarding pass there.
Or you can walk thru immigration (typically very quick), walk on the departure level to the street, stay inside the building, turn right and walk to the C departures. You will see the AA counters there.
From arriving inside the terminal to the AA counter it should take you no longer than 15 min or so - either way.
Old Nov 12, 08, 8:40 pm
BAK
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aamilesslave View Post
Also, I wouldn't automatically assume that LX can't check you in and tag your bags to your final destination. Ask at the counter, but have a backup plan.
I hope that LX will be able to tag my bags all the way to ORD, but I think that the chances of getting the AA boarding pass are slim. On the way to GVA, AA was not able to issue the LX boarding pass. Are there any OW lounges near the AA gates in FRA?
Old Nov 12, 08, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
Swiss should have an interline agreement with AA so bags can be tagged through.

Dont hold your breath for the bp though... with the usual bothering security questioning at FRA I would doubt if any other airline can give you a bp.

Recently I flew MAD-FRA-DFW and IB wasnt able to issue the bp. Same issue a few months back DUS-LHR-LAX.
Old Nov 12, 08, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LX and AA can definitely issue each other's boarding passes through EDIFACT (have done it many times before), but I think AA inhibits this when you’re boarding them from an international location. It's been a while, but I remember not being able to get BPs issued by BA when connecting at LHR from a BA flight to an AA one!

It's probably because of "security".
Old Nov 13, 08, 12:43 pm
BAK
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hillrider View Post
LX and AA can definitely issue each other's boarding passes through EDIFACT (have done it many times before), but I think AA inhibits this when you’re boarding them from an international location. It's been a while, but I remember not being able to get BPs issued by BA when connecting at LHR from a BA flight to an AA one!

It's probably because of "security".
You guys are probably right. On a recent connection BA->AA in LHR, the AA GA had reissue my boarding pass and discarded the one issued by BA. Another funny thing was that BA in GVA did not allow me to check in the bags until two hours before my flight, which I thought was quite odd. I think the folks in Europe are taking all these security issues and protocols much more seriously. This might be for the best, but I sure do not enjoy connecting in FRA or Zurich.
Old Jan 11, 09, 9:21 pm

Programs: LT Platinum Marriott/Starwood; Exec Plat AA; LT Plat AA
So to add to the thread in two weeks I'm connecting from Lufthansa to AA in FRA. I've got two hours. The EXP desk did confirm that there is a luggage agreement so I should be able to check my bags all the way though. It would appear from those in this post that my two hour layover should be sufficient to get a boarding pass printed (landside?) and back though security for AA.

Would I be correct here?

Any suggestions on terminal connections etc?

Last edited by TooMuchTravel73; Jan 11, 09 at 9:49 pm
Old Jan 11, 09, 9:28 pm

Programs: EXP AA 5.05MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Starwood, a bit of Continental, a bit of this and that
Originally Posted by TooMuchTravel73 View Post
So to add to the thread in two weeks I'm connecting from Lufthansa to AA. I've got two hours. The EXP desk did confirm that there is a luggage agreement so I should be able to check my bags all the way though. It would appear from those in this post that my two hour layover should be sufficient to get a boarding pass printed (landside?) and back though security for AA.

Would I be correct here?
I wouldn't worry too much about that connection. I did the same in mid-December, flying Lufthansa coming from Berlin and then using AA to connect to the US. I actually collected my luggage from the Lufthansa flight, went to the landside check-in counters (it DID help that I can use the First Class check-in or whatever it is called; the line for the plebes was fairly long) and then had ample time to first go to the Admirals Club (also landside) before going through passport control/security. No sweat at all.
Old Jan 11, 09, 9:30 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
So to add to the thread in two weeks I'm connecting from Lufthansa to AA. I've got two hours. The EXP desk did confirm that there is a luggage agreement so I should be able to check my bags all the way though. It would appear from those in this post that my two hour layover should be sufficient to get a boarding pass printed (landside?) and back though security for AA.

Would I be correct here?
The primary reason to go landside is because the AC is landside (and can issue your BP). Otherwise you could stay airside and get the BP from the transfer desk. Two hours is plenty of time to clear security (even an hour is enough if you are flying F or J thereby bypassing the long line).
Old Jan 11, 09, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold

Would I be correct here?

I can attest that there is an interilne agreement and they can check your luggage through. But I also found that AA couldn't issue the LH BP (this was in ORD flying onto MUC, so the opposite of what you are doing). When I connected on LH from Poland to MUC to LHR I couldn't believe all the security I went through but how utterly efficient the Germans were about it. Happy travels
Old Jan 11, 09, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Thank you.
If you want to make sure you make your connection, for 275 euro Frankfurt Airport has a vip service that will meet you at your arriving flight, take you directly to their vip lounge, track your connecting baggage and get your AA bp plus handle all immigrations while you wait in the lounge. When your AA flight is ready to board you will be taken by car or cart to the aircraft depending on where it is. I've used it and would say it is something to consider based on how you value 275 euro

http://www.airportcity-frankfurt.com...erenglisch.pdf

Search this Thread