Wiki Posts
Search

Why am I obsessing about keeping PLT?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Executive
Why am I obsessing about keeping PLT?

I'm only 2800 miles from earning my PLT for 2009. Not that it will cost much $ for a mileage run, but I have to admit it will be hard to sell my wife on taking a $400 trip (inc. hotel) and a day or two away from family just to earn miles and keep my status.

can someone remind me why keeping PLT status makes sense? For what its worth I fly about 80K / year across AA and UA and either company will match the others' status.

Thanks,
CHip
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by igolfchip
I'm only 2800 miles from earning my PLT for 2009. Not that it will cost much $ for a mileage run, but I have to admit it will be hard to sell my wife on taking a $400 trip (inc. hotel) and a day or two away from family just to earn miles and keep my status.

can someone remind me why keeping PLT status makes sense? For what its worth I fly about 80K / year across AA and UA and either company will match the others' status.

Thanks,
CHip
Because even as an adult, you like to be recognized. You like to have status. You don't want to lose that swagger you have walking down the airport.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
A couple of reasons:

Better ability to use your stickers (upgrades)
Double miles on all flights
Standby priority - meaning you may actually get on the plane.

There's more, but those are my big ones.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:07 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
DUHble miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:13 pm

where are you based? 2800 miles should not require an overnight trip.

anyway, the extra bonus miles alone would get your wife a free ticket somewhere.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Why not ditch UA (or AA) and put all your flying on one carrier. Maybe you could hit top tier on one of them next year.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Double miles is good but for me having access to One World partner lounges (a benefit that can't be purchased) and the AC on international itineraries is the biggest plus over Gold. YMMV.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpauker
Why not ditch UA (or AA) and put all your flying on one carrier. Maybe you could hit top tier on one of them next year.
Company policies here are pretty strict. UA to Beijing, AA for pretty much rest. I will fly to China 2-5x / year.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
So true!

Originally Posted by cardigans1
Because even as an adult, you like to be recognized. You like to have status. You don't want to lose that swagger you have walking down the airport.
LOL!! You describe my husband (PLT) to a T! He worships his double miles, and to the OP--one year he spent $2K on mileage runs! Some people golf, some ski, a few really do need their status! It brings DH great happiness, and thus, it brings me great happiness!

Lana
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by martin33
where are you based? 2800 miles should not require an overnight trip.

anyway, the extra bonus miles alone would get your wife a free ticket somewhere.
I'm based out of RDU. Have to fly west (Colorado or farther) to do a mileage run that's reasonably affordable (can do SEA for $210 r/t).
Old Nov 11, 2008, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
After a few years as PLT, I fell to GLD this year, and really didn't care.

It's all about your flying patterns. I don't fly internationally enough to value the lounge access; I have enough redeemable miles that the extra bonus wasn't too important; and on the EXP-heavy routes I fly, my upgrades weren't clearing even as PLT.

One other benefit to being PLT for 2009 is that the unwritten soft landing policy guarantees at least GLD for 2010. If you may not fly enough for GLD next year, that's a consideration.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 2:08 pm

Have you considered flying RDU-DFW-SAT and back? It's in your price range and can be done without an overnight stay.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP

Thanks,
CHip
The thing is that once one starts to fly enough miles to gain status (25K typically) they begin to appreciate the benefits versus some one who flys a few times a year. Of course, the higher the status the better the benefits and therefore we are encouraged to fly nowhere for the sake of getting to the next level.

I personally need to sit down and figure out how I am going to fly an additional 14K miles in December to gain EXP. And since December is a busy month for me work wise, the trips need to be same day returns and as cheap as possible.

Most people, like the OP's wife, think that flying only for the sake of gaining status is ridiculous. I have tried to explain it to people and they just give me a confused stare. But while they are in the back of the bus squeezed in a middle seat between two grossly overweight paxs, I am in the front sipping on a Vodka tonic awaiting my complimentary and warm meal (and yes the food is not devine).
Old Nov 11, 2008, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kremedonut
Have you considered flying RDU-DFW-SAT and back? It's in your price range and can be done without an overnight stay.
Thanks for the suggestion! Saw a fare for only $144 on that itinerary

Question though - will I earn any bonus miles to help me hit the target 2900 miles?

On the AA reservation site it only adds up to 2,616mi

RDU - DFW: 1062
DFW - SAT: 246
SAT - RDU: 1308
Old Nov 11, 2008, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Thanks for the suggestion! Saw a fare for only $144 on that itinerary

Question though - will I earn any bonus miles to help me hit the target 2900 miles?

On the AA reservation site it only adds up to 2,616mi

RDU - DFW: 1062
DFW - SAT: 246
SAT - RDU: 1308
Bonus miles are redeemable miles, but do not count toward elite qualification or re-qualification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.