Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Can no longer place a newspaper or anything else in our seat back pocket?????

Old Nov 9, 08, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

I was on American Eagle # 4732 from RDU to LGA this afternoon. As the FA was making her standard boarding PAs I thought I heard something about “can not be storeed in the seat back pocket in front of you”. Of course I have been on 1000’s of flights, so my fault for not paying total attention. However as the FA was making her rounds to check for seat belts, etc, she walked up to me and said” you can not store those materials there”, referring to my newspaper. I was shocked and asked” are you telling me I can not have a newspaper in my seat back pocket?” She said “yes, that is what I said” I asked “is this a new policy?” and she responded “it was created in August, but we are just now starting to enforce it”. Note this was 14A, not an exit row.

As anyone heard of this, or is the FA just making things up”
Old Nov 9, 08, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
I know that laptop computers and other heavy stuff cannot be stored in seatback pockets for taxi, takeoff, and landing. But I don't see why other items couldn't, especially something like a newspaper that in most circumstances could NOT cause bodily injury.

I know of no policy on AA that says what the FA told you.

But, it's not a big deal; just put your newspaper under the seat in front of you, or hold it, during taxi/takeoff/landing. Not worth picking a fight here. There are much more important issues that are worth a fight.

(Don't forget: when you are on board, you must comply with all crewmember instructions. Not to do so is a violation of federal law.)

Last edited by ESpen36; Nov 9, 08 at 5:59 pm
Old Nov 9, 08, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT. SPG PLT.
The easy answer is that their magazines and barf bags have been FAA certificated to remain in the pocket safely, but your newspaper could cause injury to you or those around you if it remained in the pocket.

Although I have not heard this on AA, I was told the same thing on more than one United Express flight in the past 3 months or so, however I was bulkhead. So it is not just AA policy apparently.
Old Nov 9, 08, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I heard the same announcement on an Eagle flight
Old Nov 9, 08, 7:42 pm

I usually put all the airline contents of the pocket in the overhead before I sit down. Recently an attendant saw me, was upset, but didn't really know how to forbid me. "What about the next passenger?" I said I'd put it all back at the end. But next time there will probably be a 'for your safety' reason for leaving it all there.

Sylvia
Old Nov 9, 08, 8:02 pm

The FAR in question is 121.589.
Old Nov 10, 08, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skylady View Post
The FAR in question is 121.589.
Thanks! I just read it, it doesn't say anything about newspapers. It does instruct that baggage should be secured before the doors are closed. I guess if an FA wants to include "newspaper" in his/her definition of baggage, then it should be secured.

As for the FA mentioned by the OP, I had a flight attendant tell me to not place a book in the seat back pocket about a year ago, but 30 or 40 segments later, I haven't had any other FA's say a word about using the seat back pocket for your own personal literature.

-z
Old Nov 10, 08, 6:55 pm

I was on Southwest last week, both ways they made very specific announcements on this. Might there be a FAA push on this?
Old Nov 10, 08, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
(Don't forget: when you are on board, you must comply with all crewmember instructions. Not to do so is a violation of federal law.)
It should say "Federal regulations require compliance with all lighted signs, posted placards, and instructions from the crew unless your F/A is a 19 year old ditz who cant tell the difference between a blunt metal object and a newspaper." The magazine and skymall are stored there, if those things can be stored there then why not a newspaper? Newspapers are actually easier to tear than a magazine so its seems like the airline issued materials would be more of a hazard than a magazine.

Last edited by FlyHigh74; Nov 12, 08 at 6:40 pm
Old Nov 10, 08, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by M11Stephen View Post
It should say "Federal regulations require compliance with all lighted signs, posted placards, and instructions from the crew unless your F/A is a 19 year old ditz who cant tell the difference between a blunt metal object and a newspaper. The magazine and skymall are stored there, if those things can be stored there then why not a newspaper? Newspapers are actually easier to tear than a magazine so its seems like the airline issued materials would be more of a hazard than a magazine.
You forgot to close your quote, unless you were wanting that entire thing to become the FAR.

BTW, someone please point me to the flights with 19yo FAs.
Old Nov 10, 08, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Home to RDU View Post
I asked “is this a new policy?” and she responded “it was created in August, but we are just now starting to enforce it”
This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard so far this week.
Old Nov 10, 08, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold (finally back), on way to Plat
It cannot be put there because there are no AA supplied advertisements or advertisers who are supporting AA. The seatback pocket is there for revenue enhancement!
Old Nov 10, 08, 10:34 pm

The items that are placed in the seatback pockets by AA are approved by the FAA ahead of time. Anything else is considered not FAA approved, and should not be placed there. Very easy to understand, just hard to swallow.
Old Nov 11, 08, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skylady View Post
The items that are placed in the seatback pockets by AA are approved by the FAA ahead of time. Anything else is considered not FAA approved, and should not be placed there. Very easy to understand, just hard to swallow.
I have three questions:

1. My seatback pocket often is missing its copy of The American Way. If this is the case, and I have picked up a copy at the Admirals Club, can I put it in the seatback pocket (it is FAA approved).

2. If the answer to #1 is yes, then if The American Way is not in my seatback pocket and I haven't picked up a copy at the Admirals Club, can I put a copy of Sports Illustrated in there?

3. If #1 is yes, and #2 is no, have we all gone mad?
Old Nov 11, 08, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by gemac View Post
I have three questions:

1. My seatback pocket often is missing its copy of The American Way. If this is the case, and I have picked up a copy at the Admirals Club, can I put it in the seatback pocket (it is FAA approved).

2. If the answer to #1 is yes, then if The American Way is not in my seatback pocket and I haven't picked up a copy at the Admirals Club, can I put a copy of Sports Illustrated in there?

3. If #1 is yes, and #2 is no, have we all gone mad?
1. Yes
2. No. Only the following are approved for an AA seat pocket

a. American Way
b. Celebrate Living (but only in Business or First Class)
c. Sky Mall
e. barf bag
f. emergency instructions
g. NEXOS
h. ON American Airlines

Search this Thread