Ease of using AA miles for CX biz class

Old Nov 9, 08, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Ease of using AA miles for CX biz class

Does anybody know how easy it is to get CX biz class tix from SFO to KUL (or SIN) using AA miles. I have lots of miles through my cards, but no vff status.

I'm a 1K UA. My experience in getting SQ biz tix using UA miles is lack of availability.
Old Nov 9, 08, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Welcome to FlyerTalk !

With any award seat availability, you must have some sort of flexibility when choosing your flight dates. Give yourself lots of time. Say anywhere from 8 months to departure. Be flexible about your departure point. That means use the available options of flying from LAX (3 flights a day) , SFO (2 flights a day), YVR (2 flights a day), in addition to combining with say, JL/AA via NRT.

Look out also for peak travel periods. The Chinese Lunar New Year, Spring Festivals etc are usually packed departing anywhere within Asia.

With careful planning, you would be able to get the flights that you want. You may use the asiamiles website in looking for possible award availability with CX, but it is not that accurate. Best to perhaps call AA and check your seats.

Be aware that CX has very very limited award availability that is shared amongst all its travel partners.
Old Nov 9, 08, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

AA and JL

Guy,

Thx for the info. Is getting biz class in JL easier than CX with AA miles for SFO - KUL?

AA/CX sounds like UA and SQ - months of planning...
Old Nov 9, 08, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
As this is about AA awards, moving to the AA forum for more specific help there.

Kiwi Flyer
OW moderator
Old Nov 9, 08, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
it will be very hard to secure rd seats on CX, might want to try JL through NRT to KUL

Good luck
Old Nov 10, 08, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Guy Betsy's advice still applies here, too. If you follow it, you should be successful for 1 or 2 passengers. More than that is pretty difficult.
Old Nov 10, 08, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I did a One World award back in May to Singapore and had to route SFO-DFW-YVR-HKG (overnight)- SIN to make it work. Seats were available on the dates I wanted to travel. If this was a partner award instead of a OW award I could have used Alaska to YVR, but I continued onto Australia in this case and could not use them. There were no seats on the nonstops from SFO or LAX to HKG even with some flexibility.

Tom in Reno,Nevada
Old Nov 10, 08, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I just scored a AA mileage partner CX biz class reward HKG-JFK for November 26th (the busiest travel day in the US, day before Thanksgiving), so YMMV.
Old Nov 10, 08, 7:24 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX DM (Emerald), former Hyatt DM, and current Marriott Gold.
I booked a J class award ticket two weeks ago for LAX-HKG on CX, traveling tomorrow. Originally, it was JL on the outbound and CX on the inbound, but then CX opened up a couple days later. So, I changed everything over to CX.
Old Nov 10, 08, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Last summer I snagged 3 F awards to DPS on CX by departing YVR. The earlier flight which uses an Airbus 340 (?) does not seem to be that much in demand. Had to return via NRT w/ last leg on AA. Two years prior had managed 3 J awards to SIN on JL booking only 4 or 5 mos. out but with lots of flexibility on dates of travel.
Old Nov 14, 08, 7:32 am

I just snagged 2 biz class seats JFK - BKK, BKK - JFK on CX for next September for my honeymoon. It only took two phone calls, and I got the exact flights I wanted.
Old Nov 14, 08, 8:42 am

I've done it a few times, on some difficult routes. My strategy was to join Asiamiles and use their availability tool, which in my specific cases seemed to correlate well with actual availability when booking a OW award. Joining BAEC is also a good idea as their search tool is good, it can search 7 days forwards or backwards for a specific route.

As posted many times they don't hand them out liberally but they certainly do have availability and it's far from impossible, depending on your route, date, flexibility. In every case (for me) I was working right from the start of the schedule, ie 330 days out, but many have reported that they often open seats a few weeks or even days out as well if they have the room.

So the summary answer seems to be it's not "easy" but it's most definitely possible. If I were dispensing advice I'd start with suggesting joining Asiamiles and using the online tool to see what you find to start with, engaging other tools and of course calling AA as well. With some patience and persistence and flexibility you may well find success. Looking for just one or at most 2 seats is probably the most likely to pay off as well, rather than a whole family.

And there are a lot of routing options to SE asia via HKG and NRT both, make sure to check as many as you can.
Old Nov 14, 08, 9:36 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by c_stanley View Post

So the summary answer seems to be it's not "easy" but it's most definitely possible.

With some patience and persistence and flexibility you may well find success. Looking for just one or at most 2 seats is probably the most likely to pay off as well, rather than a whole family.
Couldn't agree more. The persistence is the key. We were able to get 4 premium seats (2F/2J) on the same HKG-SFO flights this past NYE time. It took calling twice a day from SIN and HKG to get it all to work, but these were 2-3 minute calls except for the ones that made changes, so it was not really that onerous.

Cheers.
Old Nov 14, 08, 10:17 am
Suspended

The best CX award avalibility to NA by far, can be found on HKG/YYZ with the addition advantage of being one of shortest in terms of miles required for example on a OW award for residents of the east coast.

mike
Old Nov 14, 08, 10:59 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
This summer SFO HKG BKK HKG SFO F on CX. I booked 3 weeks out. The BKK flights were in C as no F on the regional 777. Honestly I have never had a problem booking CX or BA F C awards.

Search this Thread