Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best chance for upg to/from LHR from/to which city?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP
Best chance for upg to/from LHR from/to which city?

I'm considering some MRs to LHR in early '09. Other things being equal, from which city with flights to LHR would I stand the best chance of an evip upg, either to the middle cabin on a 777 or to the front on a 763? Outbound will probably be on a Sat (redeye) with the return on Sun. I'm looking at ORD, DFW, RDU, MIA and JFK. How about the return to the U.S., better chances to which AA U.S. city?

Do you think my $$$ would be better spent on an MR to CDG, FRA, ZRH, FCO, MAD, or DUB instead?
Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, US Chairman, CO, DL, NW, MR Gold, HH
I've been 6/6 on flights originating from JFK (roundtrip) and 1/4 on flights originating from RDU (roundtrip). Most of my flights are outbound Overnight and inbound late afternoon.

Not sure if that helps....
Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
I have always cleared, even as a semi-lowly platinum from/to JFK (about 10/10 the past 18 months). Not sure what fares you have found, but when you include taxes (+ the LHR upgrade departure tax), I usually find that MRs to/from the west coast are much more economical.

Ciao…
Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
You might also consider ORD-MAN, it is a fairly easy flight to clear an eVIP on.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
most times FRA is cheaper than LHR and it is further. Also, don't forget the lovely luxury tax on EVIPs out of LHR and CDG
Old Nov 8, 2008, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP
Originally Posted by Deltahater
most times FRA is cheaper than LHR and it is further. Also, don't forget the lovely luxury tax on EVIPs out of LHR and CDG
Re luxury tax, been there, done that. I had heard that the same tax was being talked about out of CDG and didn't realize it was a done deal...nice to know.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by metsfan1962
Re luxury tax, been there, done that. I had heard that the same tax was being talked about out of CDG and didn't realize it was a done deal...nice to know.
The amount is different in CDG, lower, but the same concept
Old Nov 8, 2008, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
I have always cleared, even as a semi-lowly platinum from/to JFK (about 10/10 the past 18 months). Not sure what fares you have found, but when you include taxes (+ the LHR upgrade departure tax), I usually find that MRs to/from the west coast are much more economical.

Ciao…
eVips as a PLT? Or did you use miles?

BM
Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by burtonmadness
eVips as a PLT? Or did you use miles?

BM
Used miles + co-pay or EVIPS from friends….
Old Nov 9, 2008, 4:55 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by metsfan1962
My Lord - they are calling it a Luxury tax now? It's about as much a Luxury Tax as the aircraft are Luxury Liners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.