Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Snack or Brunch" in F

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
"Snack or Brunch" in F

Good day all.

I was surprised to see 4 more stickers posted to my upgrade account today. ^

I have a mileage run on Wednesday and would like to upgrade one of the flights. I'm thinking of either upgrading PHL-DFW which will be a breakfast service, or DFW-SJC which aa.com listed as "Snack or Brunch" service.

What exactly is snack or brunch? Also, which is the better flight to upgrade in your opinion? Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 777-DCA
Good day all.

I have a mileage run on Wednesday and would like to upgrade one of the flights. I'm thinking of either upgrading PHL-DFW which will be a breakfast service, or DFW-SJC which aa.com listed as "Snack or Brunch" service.

What exactly is snack or brunch? Also, which is the better flight to upgrade in your opinion? Thanks for the help!
What are the aircraft for the two flights?
Old Nov 8, 2008, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gemac
What are the aircraft for the two flights?
Both flights are on MD-80s.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I fly BNA-LGA (1684) occasionally and the 5:55-9:00 flight is listed as snack or brunch. Last time I upgraded I was surprised to be offered a Philly Cheesesteak and some salmon dish. I assume this is the dinner offering but I can't figure out why they decided to serve us a meal and not tell us about it in advance.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Upgrade the second (or last) flight of your MR.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
The meals on the Snack/Brunch flights seem very similar to the Lunch/Dinner flights. One exception is Snack/Brunch has a cookie for desert while Lunch/Dinner is a sundae or cake.

Also, Snack/Brunch flights tend to be sandwich wrap/salad or pasta/salad combinations.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Anyone else with input, especially as to the food offered for snack or brunch?
Old Nov 9, 2008, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Anyone else with input, especially as to the food offered for snack or brunch?
IMO, badjuju pretty much summed it up. Snack/brunch is almost identical to lunch.

As for which to upgrade, request upgrades for both. As a GLD who has not yet made the request, you'll be lucky if either upgrade clears.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Good day all.

I would upgrade DFW-SJC. Its longer. I would rather go from Y to F rather than F to Y on a transcon trip.

Also, it'll be a time of the day where free booze might have a bit more benefit for you.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by sts603
I would upgrade DFW-SJC. Its longer. I would rather go from Y to F rather than F to Y on a transcon trip.

Also, it'll be a time of the day where free booze might have a bit more benefit for you.
I agree the longer/last leg is preferable but as a Gold you will be lucky to get either, especially if you haven't requested them yet with only 3 days until your flight. Not every Gold can have a 100% success rate out of his home airport like me
Old Nov 9, 2008, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by njvandy
I agree the longer/last leg is preferable but as a Gold you will be lucky to get either, especially if you haven't requested them yet with only 3 days until your flight. Not every Gold can have a 100% success rate out of his home airport like me
I submitted the requests 2 days ago. And for the year I am 100% for upgrade requests (ok, so I have only submitted 1 upgrade request, but 100% nonetheless).
Old Nov 9, 2008, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I submitted the requests 2 days ago. And for the year I am 100% for upgrade requests (ok, so I have only submitted 1 upgrade request, but 100% nonetheless).
I'm pretty sure that your DFW-SJC request will ruin this %.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Assuming you are on Flights 405 and 1499 there are 10 and 9 open seats respectively.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sts603
Assuming you are on Flights 405 and 1499 there are 10 and 9 open seats respectively.
EF shows very different #s for F on 1499. What's the source for these #? Not the seat map I hope - since it is not at all reliable for determining F availability.

The seat map can prove informative in one aspect: look at the Y cabin and see how many of the exit row/premium seats are taken. If the exit rows are empty, there are potentially fewer elites on the flight and thus less competition for upgrades.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdemaria
EF shows very different #s for F on 1499. What's the source for these #? Not the seat map I hope - since it is not at all reliable for determining F availability.

The seat map can prove informative in one aspect: look at the Y cabin and see how many of the exit row/premium seats are taken. If the exit rows are empty, there are potentially fewer elites on the flight and thus less competition for upgrades.
Internal AA system.

EF is showing F7 A6 P7 which certainly goes along well with there being 9 open seats.

That said, F seat maps are FAR more reliable than people here make them out to be. I look at the internal system and EF simultaneously frequently and there is rarely a sizable difference between the two. Usually they are identical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.