Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Standby / Stand-by on Day Before Ticketed Flight (consolidated)

Standby / Stand-by on Day Before Ticketed Flight (consolidated)

Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:53 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cu08senior
As an elite, I'm technically able to standby...

I have a trip planned from JFK - LHR on 3/24. However, found out I will be flying into JFK on the 23rd... I'd prefer to just try and talk to an agent and go a day earlier...

Does anyone think this is possible by Standing By on an earlier flight? It's a Thursday to Wednesday flight.. and I'm SURE there will be seats...

Thx!

cu08senior - Your thread has been merged with the existing thread on the same topic. Please also take a glance upthread to see other members experiences/advice. You'll find that many of the answers you received are similar to past answers to the same query.

As a gentle reminder to all members, per the FT Guidelines and Rules (http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q62):

Use the Search Feature
Before starting a thread, use the search feature to see if there's a recent thread on your topic. Many questions come up repeatedly on FlyerTalk. If you're wondering about a specific Hilton property in Chicago, for example, there's a good chance a thread - or 10 - already exists. The search link is located in the navigation menu near the top of the Forums page. Keeping information on the same topic confined to as few threads as possible helps members quickly find the information they need.
And for reference, I went up to the search box, clicked on "advanced search", and searched on thread titles for the keywords {standby day}.

Thanks for your cooperation! /Mod
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
You can always try, but I've never heard of it working. I've tried myself to standby a few hours earlier (flight left after midnight, and tried to get on a 10pm flight) and AA wouldn't let me; they said it had something to do with their computers and the bookkeeping.
Originally Posted by sbagdon
There must be a systems reason. At least on DL in the '90s, I juggle a few times last-out/first-out either-way. Changed a last-out to first-out because of a flat-tire, and moved a first-out to last-out for illness in the household.
Fwiw (very little I imagine) standing by a day early was fairly easy to do in the 90s on AA as well. Even though it was officially supposed to be same-day standby, one could show up at the airport ahead of schedule and have a decent shot at being allowed on the next available flight. Ah, those were the good ol' days.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 3:27 am

I have a 6am SFO-DFW flight and now I'm thinking of standing by for the 00:15am one (same calendar date). I've read this thread and from what I understand I shouldn't have any trouble doing this (for free). But how do I get past security at SFO at night? Will I be able to print the 6am BP and can I use that to go through security? I normally OLCI and print the BP at the airport and I hope I'll be able to do the same thing for this trip.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 9:17 am

If I recall, whenever I've had a ticketing agent add me to a stand-by list, they print out a "priority verification" boarding card, which is basically like a boarding pass for the standy-by flight except it doesn't have a confirmed seat assignment. I've used those to get through security before - may work for your situation?

(Or others may tell you that using your 6am next-day boarding pass will be just fine, in which case ignore what I just said )
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.2mm), SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Attempt to standby day before flight?

In a few days I'll get to the last leg of a week and a half long, multi-leg trip (during which I'll make EXP.)

Last leg is scheduled for Wed. If I show up at the airport Tuesday morning, is it possible that they'd let me on a flight without paying the change fee and increase in fare, assuming there is room?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 3:09 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
From the FAQ (where it says "Please check here first")

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post11822066

which contains a link to a consolidated thread on this exact topic.

Cheers.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 3:17 pm

And now merged into the consolidated thread so that A) we can keep the discussion of the same topic in one place and B) FTers who have the same question in the future only need to check one thread to get answers/anecdotes. Thanks. /Moderator
Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, Bonvoy Titanium
Can I standby on red-eye the night before scheduled flight?

Hi all,

First time poster, but have recently reached Gold for the first time thanks to all the tips found here...so, thanks!

I am currently scheduled to fly home LAX-JFK on Friday on flight 4. Since my work engagement ends Thursday afternoon, I was going to try to maybe standby for a red-eye on Thursday night. Is this even possible?

AAvailable Seats has plenty of inventory on both flights 10 and 30, but the Gold Desk said I couldn't reserve it ahead of time due to it departing on another date...even though it arrives on the same date of my original travel.

My question is whether it is worth it to check out of my hotel, venture to LAX, and hope my standby clears? What are your thoughts, experts?

Many thanks!
JMC
Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Found in the FAQ at the top of the page (where it says "Please check here first"):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Cheers.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
Check out the cost for a confirmed flight change and compare that to the cost of your Thursday hotel, rental car, per diem/expenses. Maybe it will be less or a wash and you can get back home earlier.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: exp 4.3mm miles
I would say not very likely you can standby for a flight until after midnight. I do think gate agents have discretion but if it were me I wouldn't chance it. Get a good nights sleep and arrive fresh! I hate red eyes and that may be what you have if you take one!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
If you were on say the just-after-midnight redeye to DFW with onwards travel to NY, you might be able to sweet talk your way onto the nonstop flight leaving the calendar day before. Since your flight is is during the day, I doubt you'll have much luck.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:00 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by loosecanyn
Hi all,

First time poster, but have recently reached Gold for the first time thanks to all the tips found here...so, thanks!

I am currently scheduled to fly home LAX-JFK on Friday on flight 4. Since my work engagement ends Thursday afternoon, I was going to try to maybe standby for a red-eye on Thursday night. Is this even possible?

AAvailable Seats has plenty of inventory on both flights 10 and 30, but the Gold Desk said I couldn't reserve it ahead of time due to it departing on another date...even though it arrives on the same date of my original travel.

My question is whether it is worth it to check out of my hotel, venture to LAX, and hope my standby clears? What are your thoughts, experts?

Many thanks!
JMC
Welcome to FlyerTalk, loosecanyn!

Your thread has now been merged into the existing thread on this topic and we encourage you to read it from the beginning. As mentioned by brp above, this thread (and lots of other info) can be readily found via our FAQ at the top of the forum, specifically this post:

FAQ: Can I standby for a different flight?

Because of the massive amount of information in the AA forum, we do ask all members to search for existing threads before posting - you may find that your question has already been answered!

We hope that you enjoy your participation in FT!

/Moderator
Old Jun 9, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
Same day stand-by

I am a new AA executive platinum and have a question about same-day standby on AA. I am familiar with the United policy, where UA defines "same-day" as anytime within 24 hours of your original flight. So, for example, if I have a ticket for a 7AM flight on a Saturday, I can stand by and get a confirmed seat for any flight on the Friday before. Does AA define "same-day" the same way? Or do they define same-day to be the same calendar day as the original flight?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 7:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wouldn't that (and other basic questions about how AA and the AAdvantage program works) be covered in the FAQ at the top of the page (where it says "Please check here first")?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ere-first.html

I believe that the details about "standby" are covered in the section called "standby."

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.