Wiki Posts
Search

MR advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2008, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime Plat; DL Platinum & Black Reserve
MR advice

My first post - I've been enjoying reading the forums for a few years.. I've been Exec Plat the last 3 years (PLT before that for about 5 or 6 years). I qualified Exec Plat on points, not miles - I buy first/business most of the time. I had written off making Exec Plat this year as my travel has reduced, but just analyzed my activity - I'm short 38294 points, or 25529.3 miles (at 1.5 points per mile).

I live in PLS (Turks and Caicos) and have one business trip remaining for the year (to Seattle, leaving Nov 29, back Dec 7). The routing I had was:
Nov 29: PLS-MIA-DFW
Dec 6: SEA-JFK-overnight in NYC
Dec 7: JFK-PLS (nonstop - only runs Sat/Sun in the off season)

If I change my outbound to PLS-JFK-MIA (overnight)-LAX-DFW-SEA and my return to SEA-ORD-DEL-ORD-MIA-PLS, that gives me 100848 points for the year (of course, the entire itinerary has to be purchased in either Y or B economy or in business or first; I have eVIPs left to upgrade myself...).

Before I book it, I wanted to ask if anyone else had a better idea - I looked at round trips to NRT but it's not far enough. I have not checked a OneWorld Explorer fare if that would be better, but am guessing the schedules won't allow such a fast return.

Any thoughts from fellow FTers?

Last edited by dsolomon; Nov 3, 2008 at 6:39 am
Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:06 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Congratulations on the transition to EXP. And welcome to FlyertTalk.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Originally Posted by dsolomon

If I change my outbound to PLS-JFK-MIA (overnight)-LAX-DFW-SEA and my return to SEA-ORD-DEL-ORD-MIA-PLS, that gives me 100848 points for the year (of course, the entire itinerary has to be purchased in either full fare Y economy or in business or first; I have eVIPs left to upgrade myself...).

Before I book it, I wanted to ask if anyone else had a better idea - I looked at round trips to NRT but it's not far enough. I have not checked a OneWorld Explorer fare if that would be better, but am guessing the schedules won't allow such a fast return.

Any thoughts from fellow FTers?
If it works, don't mess with it.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Most of Flyertalk's Mileage Run experts hang out in the Mileage Run Forum and the Mileage Run Discussion Forum. They have forgotten more than most of us here will ever know about Mileage Runs. I wouldn't pull the trigger on that ticket until you have asked them, even if you get some answers here. Answers there are very likely to be more helpful to you.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
I've been Exec Plat the last 3 years (PLT before that for about 5 or 6 years). I qualified Exec Plat on points, not miles - I buy first/business most of the time. I had written off making Exec Plat this year as my travel has reduced, but just analyzed my activity - I'm short 38294 points, or 25529.3 miles (at 1.5 points per mile).
I haven't checked the math on your routing (I agree with the post that said the MR Forum is the best place to get advice for that) but I do recommend that first you recheck your miles and points totals.

1) If you fly mostly first/business, then you should be closer to requalifying with points than miles, yet your post says you have 12,764.7 fewer points.

2) And I don't know where you got the number 25,529.3, but AA doesn't use decimals in calculations (miles and points are rounded up).

If it were me, I'd got to aa.com to double-check the actual EQM and EQP before I altered my flight plans radically.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
I'm short 38294 points, or 25529.3 miles (at 1.5 points per mile).

If I change my outbound to PLS-JFK-MIA (overnight)-LAX-DFW-SEA and my return to SEA-ORD-DEL-ORD-MIA-PLS, that gives me 100848 points for the year (of course, the entire itinerary has to be purchased in either Y or B economy or in business or first; I have eVIPs left to upgrade myself...).
Another thought. If you truly are 25,529 miles short, then that itinerary does not need to be purchased in at least Y or B. It would net approxiamtely 26,000 EQM, which would allow you to requalify by miles with no need for worrying about the points.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:11 am

AA EQP Minimum Policy- 2008

Thanks to all for a great forum. I am attempting to qualify AA EXP this year and am 1400 Points short. 4 < 500mile segments were suggested (with a 500 EQP minimum) to get me 2000 EQP fairly easily. I just confused myself by reading the new minimum guarantee (yes, doesn't take effect until 1/1/2009). I just want to confirm that my 184mi flight to boston in O or Q will yield me 500 EQ points. Otherwise, my plan is foiled.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by stacey131
Thanks to all for a great forum. I am attempting to qualify AA EXP this year and am 1400 Points short. 4 < 500mile segments were suggested (with a 500 EQP minimum) to get me 2000 EQP fairly easily. I just confused myself by reading the new minimum guarantee (yes, doesn't take effect until 1/1/2009). I just want to confirm that my 184mi flight to boston in O or Q will yield me 500 EQ points. Otherwise, my plan is foiled.
For 2008, there are no changes, so you would get 500 EQP/EQM minimums per flight.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime Plat; DL Platinum & Black Reserve
oklAAhoma: I have to date 48245 miles and 61706 points - so I was looking to qualify on points, not miles. I know AA doesn't do fractional points - should have rounded the amount up (100,000-61706=38294/1.5=25529.333, so 25530 rounded up).

I posted in the MR forum - I wasn't aware of it..

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.