FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Longest MR(s) done to get EXP (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/883998-longest-mr-s-done-get-exp.html)

brp Nov 1, 2008 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 10613188)
Some of us do MRs just to enjoy the status while doing future MRs. Obviously, that's an extreme example...I would say about 50,000 EQMs of my travel is MRs, and the other 50,000 EQMs represent travel that I would have to do anyway in the course of a normal year.

For some of us, traveling is a hobby that we truly enjoy and take seriously (read: by giving lots of our time and money to AA). And we especially enjoy it because of the perks that we receive from AA. (I could spend hours and days in airports and on AA's planes, for FUN, and in fact, I do!)

There are definitely those who like flying for the sake of flying and enjoy the time spent in the airports. Seems quite reasonable that those sorts of folks are drawn to FT. Also seems very reasonable to do the MRs for the status to do the MRs.

We definitely enjoy travel more than most folks we know- the actual flying part. Taking a F award trip to SIN and HKG- I was truly looking forward to the time spent on the plane in both AA and CX longhaul F. It was a reasonable part of the whole travel experience.

But we do fly to get somewhere cool and spend the time there. Of course, we can easily define "cool" as somewhere that will net a good number of EQMs at a good price, so we surely fit in here :) But we don't do MRs for the sake of status to do MRs. We really do want to get there and spend time there.

We're considered extreme in what we do by most of our friends (and envied by others). It definitely takes all kinds. If flying is the end and the hobby, this is definitely the place to be, usually.

Cheers.

Hagbard Viking Nov 1, 2008 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by aa767flyer (Post 10613780)
Sorry that was the calculated miles for each trip. I had these on a spread sheet and was cut and pasting.

That's what I figured, but the number seems too high. The routing you quoted is more like 8,900 miles. If this is a number that you are actually using to decide how much more "MRing" you need to do this year, you may want to double check it...

stu52 Nov 1, 2008 4:22 pm

Well, I think my original question has been more or less answered.

I'm sitting at 67,528 EQM and may only have one or two trips before the end of the year (LAX - ORD). So, for me to get EXP it would take some serious MR's and more $$ than I might want to spend.

I would definitely consider it if I were somewhere around 90K EQM.

Thanks...this has been an interesting thread.;)

Hagbard Viking Nov 1, 2008 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by stu52 (Post 10613847)
Well, I think my original question has been more or less answered.

I'm sitting at 67,528 EQM and may only have one or two trips before the end of the year (LAX - ORD). So, for me to get EXP it would take some serious MR's and more $$ than I might want to spend.

I would definitely consider it if I were somewhere around 90K EQM.

Thanks...this has been an interesting thread.;)

Something that is often overlooked in these considerations is how much you expect to be flying next year. If you will fly very little, EXP is not worth that much, whereas if you foresee to fly enough to make EXP next year without mileage running you will definitely enjoy being EXP all year, and may want to make an effort qualifying already this year even if it's a stretch.

The value of status lies in using it, not in having it...

777-DCA Nov 1, 2008 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ajohn (Post 10613155)
Hold on, you fly for nothing except mileage? Am I missing something here, or do you just really like having a silver card in your wallet?

Just about. :D

Well I'll be flying to DEN for my brother's wedding, and when I'm in school I might make a trip or two for a conference or something.

As someone else said, this is a hobby for me that I greatly enjoy. Is it worth it? Absolutely.

makfan Nov 1, 2008 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 10612614)
Definitely agree. Years ago I met a FTer on a flight to MIA (he's the one who turned me on to FT). I'd been PLT for a while, and was going to have about 80K+ miles that year. I hadn't even considered to "run" for the rest to EXP, and he suggested that. It was late in the year, and I didn't, but I went for EXP the next year and have been every year since. Looking back, if I'd found FT sooner I would have read and seen that it was a no-brainer.

The next year I did a couple of turnaround MRs to the east coast (redeye, morning flight) with a fellow FTer. Since then, no MRs at all. We plan long weekends to Europe and regular weekends domestically, but always spend time at the destination. We figure that flying is still the means to the end, and too many MRs make it flying just for the sake of flying. If within striking distance, and MR is the only option...go for it!

Cheers.

That's interesting. I think I only did one true MR, where I flew a red eye to JFK and went back on a 9am departure without leaving the airport.

In some sense, many of my trips are mileage runs, in that I didn't really need to visit BOS or NYC or whatever, but I always try to actually spend some time in whatever town I'm visiting.

This weekend's one-night trip to ORD to get the last needed EXP EQMs got kind of hosed when AA 400 left 5 hours late last night, due to somebody in ops not noticing the captain had called in sick at 7am, so no reserve pilot had been notified. Nothing like a 4:25 am hotel checkin.

Waiting at ORD to head home right now and glad I'm upgraded on the 763 trip home.

billgrates3 Nov 1, 2008 5:41 pm

p.s. I wouldn't think a bunch of MRs is worth it to obtain EXP if it weren't for the fact that I travel TATL several times a year (4x last yr, 4x maybe 5x this yr). If I were a domestic traveler I think PLT level would be fine.

For me, it's all about the eVIPs!

vail Nov 1, 2008 5:52 pm

I have been Platinum for 20 years now.
I fly about 75k miles each year.
This year I am already over 70k with the AADER bonus--
I will probably only end up at 80k because I am using miles to go first class on a 777 transcon.
Had I paid for the flight I could end up around 85k.
However 15k miles to have to fly seems like a lot just to reach EXP.
It is not something I would do --but I always find it amusing to read about others that do!!!

ORDflyer Nov 1, 2008 7:13 pm

RTW Run

After AADER ended I was still going to be short for EXP. Rather than flying round trip to Rome for a conference, I flew ORD-PVG-BKK-LHR-FCO-MAD-LAI-LHR-ORD in business. Nice trip and nice places.

mzito Nov 1, 2008 8:02 pm

Last year I did LGA-ORD-DEL-ORD-LGA, cause I needed to requalify on points, and I found a very cheap B fare. Three hours in delhi airport, and back on the plane.

This year to get myself back up to speed I did JFK-LAX-ORD-DEL-ORD-LAX-JFK, but I did an overnight in LAX and two days in DEL. Much easier.

aa767flyer Nov 1, 2008 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking (Post 10613837)
That's what I figured, but the number seems too high. The routing you quoted is more like 8,900 miles. If this is a number that you are actually using to decide how much more "MRing" you need to do this year, you may want to double check it...

Miles are correct bought instant upgrade fare and most of the legs booked into A or D. So included class of service bonus.

mvoight Nov 1, 2008 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by stu52 (Post 10612467)
I'm just curious how far have some people gone to get EXP before the end of the year?

Is 10,000 miles considered small enough to go for it? (I would think so.)

How many miles would you consider to be too many? 30,000 miles?

I'm just curious.

I did 4 redeye SFO-MIA-SJU trips, during AADER... One went via JFK, due to a problem with an SFO-MIA flight. All were upgraded. The fares were VERY cheap. Only one was an overnight stay in SJU, because I made an error on booking. No problem. It was like a day at the beach. Actually, it was a day at the beach. I had no problem sleeping on the redeyes, and napping on the other flights. I spent my free ground time working online at the AC. I will be over 125K EQM for the bonus.

Hagbard Viking Nov 1, 2008 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by aa767flyer (Post 10614625)
Miles are correct bought instant upgrade fare and most of the legs booked into A or D. So included class of service bonus.

What's the purpose of including the class of service bonus but not the elite bonus? The class of service bonus is not elite qualifying miles.

blackfur Nov 1, 2008 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by stu52 (Post 10612467)
I'm just curious how far have some people gone to get EXP before the end of the year?

Back in 2000 I did three SJC-NRT-BKK-NRT-SJC trips in the week leading up to Christmas so that I could reach Exec Plat. The NRT-BKK legs were on JAL codeshare flights, so they counted for status as well. I arrived in BKK a bit after midnight, walked over the the hotel adjoining the airport, slept a few hours, and then headed back for my return flight the next morning. Because of the transit time from NRT to BKK and back, I had the same crew on the SJC-NRT and NRT-SJC legs; they were quite amused by my scheme.

Actually, on the last return trip, I flew NRT-SEA-MFR (Medford, Oregon) to visit family for the holiday. My flight was on Christmas Eve, and I was the only passenger in First Class. It made for quite attentive service. :)

I felt that my projected travel for the next year would make it worthwhile. Too bad the tech sector in which I work tanked the following year. I didn't get nearly as much benefit from the status as I'd hoped. But because of my existing Platinum status bonus when I made the flights, a special 100% mileage bonus that American was running, another bonus that it was running for round-trips to NRT, and my class of service bonuses, I racked up around 230,000 miles.

ethang801 Nov 1, 2008 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by mzito (Post 10614607)
Last year I did LGA-ORD-DEL-ORD-LGA, cause I needed to requalify on points, and I found a very cheap B fare. Three hours in delhi airport, and back on the plane.

This year to get myself back up to speed I did JFK-LAX-ORD-DEL-ORD-LAX-JFK, but I did an overnight in LAX and two days in DEL. Much easier.

did you have to get a visa for the turnaround?