Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Buy the business discount fare, or take a change on upgrades...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2008, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PlatExec, Bonvoy Plat

This may be my first posting...not sure...each time I think I'm about to start 'proper' frequest flying my company chages policy or switches my projects..anyway..

I need to fly DFW-LHR, probably on 26 Dec til 30 Dec. AA are doing good Biz class fares if I hub through JFK, but I'd rather fly direct. I'm guessing that biz class is quiet during the week between Christmas & New Year, so should I just buy a coach ticket and hope to be able to use my upgrade vouchers, or bite the bullet and buy the (discounted) biz fare?

So far, I've never been able to use my upgrades (I'm Plat, but mostly seem to fly commuter flights), but do I stand more chance on these flights?

Thanks all

Pete
Old Oct 31, 2008, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by pwhite8314
This may be my first posting...not sure...each time I think I'm about to start 'proper' frequest flying my company chages policy or switches my projects..anyway..

I need to fly DFW-LHR, probably on 26 Dec til 30 Dec. AA are doing good Biz class fares if I hub through JFK, but I'd rather fly direct. I'm guessing that biz class is quiet during the week between Christmas & New Year, so should I just buy a coach ticket and hope to be able to use my upgrade vouchers, or bite the bullet and buy the (discounted) biz fare?

So far, I've never been able to use my upgrades (I'm Plat, but mostly seem to fly commuter flights), but do I stand more chance on these flights?

Thanks all

Pete
What upgrade instrument are you proposing to use? Miles+$$ or do you have an eVIP or corp upgrade?
Old Oct 31, 2008, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT

Thanks all

Pete
I'm not sure what you mean by upgrade vouchers, but if you mean stickers (i.e., 500-mile upgrades), you can't use them on international flights.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, US Chairman, CO, DL, NW, MR Gold, HH
Great promotions on JFK-LHR

You may want to double think that JFK-LHR run.

AA is running some great promotions on that route.

Double EQM's
Companion Fares in January 2009.

Search for them on AA.com!

I'm leaving today for LHR and instead of taking the RDU-LHR direct, I'm routing through JFK.

Good Luck
Old Nov 1, 2008, 6:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, UA Prem Exec, BA blue
Originally Posted by dxp178

Double EQM's

I'm leaving today for LHR and instead of taking the RDU-LHR direct, I'm routing through JFK.

Good Luck
But you're flying within the qualifying period and OP's post-Xmas flights won't count.

From aa.com:
Terms and Conditions:
AAdvantage bonus mile offer is valid on American Airlines marketed and operated nonstop flights for travel between New York/JFK or Los Angeles and London Heathrow, October 1, 2008, through December 15, 2008.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
If the fare difference is competitive I would say buying Biz is the way to go. Not only are you guaranteeing business class but you have the potential for upgrading to first (if it is offered on this a/c and the fare code does not exclude it).
Old Nov 1, 2008, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Also 2-3 x more Q points w/biz fares if that matters.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
For all the people remarking 'I don't know why the won't let me buy an upgrade at the gate rather than let those seats fly empty!' this is your answer - people think about their luck and buy the cheaper fare in perpetual hope.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PlatExec, Bonvoy Plat
Thanks for all the replies!

It would be using the '500 ml upgrade stickers', I didn't realise these weren't valid on international flights (like I said, I'm a bit new to this).

I have 48k miles and due for renew in Feb (I got on the AA Plat using the 'challenge' earlier this year), I'm not sure if they're any use for the flights.

I do think that I'd at least get a free companion ticket for the JFK-LHR leg, so again, I guess it would bne good to have that as a business ticket, it's just hubbing through JFK is a PITA, especially when there's a chance of poor weather. THe price difference is a lot though, $3.7k for DFW direct, or $2.3k for coach to JFK, then Biz (I) to LHR.

I guess I'll book the business tickets from JFK if it seems a good deal.

Thanks again

Pete
Old Nov 1, 2008, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks for all the replies!

It would be using the '500 ml upgrade stickers', I didn't realise these weren't valid on international flights (like I said, I'm a bit new to this).

I have 48k miles and due for renew in Feb (I got on the AA Plat using the 'challenge' earlier this year), I'm not sure if they're any use for the flights.

I do think that I'd at least get a free companion ticket for the JFK-LHR leg, so again, I guess it would bne good to have that as a business ticket, it's just hubbing through JFK is a PITA, especially when there's a chance of poor weather. THe price difference is a lot though, $3.7k for DFW direct, or $2.3k for coach to JFK, then Biz (I) to LHR.

I guess I'll book the business tickets from JFK if it seems a good deal.

Thanks again

Pete

Is the company prepared to pay for the non stop fare of $3.7k ? if so, then why worry about it; just book the non stop flights.

Personally, I would go via JFK since JFK has daytime services to london whilst the DFW-LHR is overnight ( urgh )

To upgrade both ways from economy to business using miles would be either 50k miles + USD700 if booked in economy other than in B or Y class or would be 30k miles if in either B or Y.

Dave
Old Nov 1, 2008, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by dxp178

Double EQM's

it's double RDM, not double EQM, for flying done by 12/15.

Choose American Airlines for your next trip between New York/JFK or Los Angeles and London Heathrow, and you will earn double AAdvantage miles when you purchase select First Class, Business Class, or Economy Class fares (booked in F, A, J, D, I, R, Y, B, H, K, M, V, S, or N). Just book your trip now, register prior to travel, and fly by December 15, 2008.

since it's a business trip, the upgrade option is probably buying a B fare and using 10k miles each way with no copay.

that said, if the I fare for Business Class looks attractive, probably best to go ahead and buy it. then if the weather is bad on travel day at JFK, go to DFW early and see if they'll switch you to the nonstop...
Old Nov 1, 2008, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by martin33

since it's a business trip, the upgrade option is probably buying a B fare and using 10k miles each way with no copay.
It is 15k each way rather than 10k

Dave
Old Nov 1, 2008, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by HUB Flyer
If the fare difference is competitive I would say buying Biz is the way to go. Not only are you guaranteeing business class but you have the potential for upgrading to first (if it is offered on this a/c and the fare code does not exclude it).
A discounted business fare is usually an "I" fare and thus likely not upgradeable.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
It isn't a matter of "renewal" Flights from from Jan 1 to Dec. 31 count toward re-qualifying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.