Please help with MR tomorrow and OLCI issue

Old Oct 31, 08, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Please help with MR tomorrow and OLCI issue

Doing MCI-DFW-AUS-DFW-LIT tomorrow MR for segments. Got confirmed upgrade AUS-DFW (I wanted to be near the front of plane cause tight connection to LIT)

Everything I had read here was that OLCI was a must for MRs with same plane turnarounds and tight connections.

But I'm ONLY able to do OLCI for MCI-DFW and DFW-AUS. I've called web services and AA Gold Advantage desk and they say there's nothing they can do for me. They are blaming the upgrade and that it's now in the airport's hands. They claim that I can check in for the rest of my flights in MCI or DFW. Is that true???!!! (praying so)

This is important because I'm doing a same plane turnaround DFW-AUS-DFW. So there's a good chance that when the 30-minute window hits for my AUS-DFW flight that I'm still in the air going DFW-AUS. I don't want to lose my seat! Y or F I just want a seat so I'm not stuck in AUS! (no offense to the good folks of Austin). Is there anything I can do tonight or in the AM or has that upgrade (which UpCheck had predicted was slim to none btw) royally screwed me and I'll likely be showed as a no show for not checking in for the AUS-DFW flight? Or can I check in DFW or MCI?

Thanks so much in advance
Old Oct 31, 08, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
At the hubs (DFW, ORD, LAX for sure) they have check-in machines throughout the terminals. I don't know which terminals specifically at DFW but I have seen plenty of them. They are past security and they will allow you to check-in, reprint boarding passes, change seats, etc...

If you have time in DFW before heading to AUS search around for these or ask an AAgent when you land in DFW. Also check at MCI around the terminal for them.

Or better yet, why not just check in at MCI and get all of your boarding passes. Why is it a must to do OLCI for same plane turnarounds?
Old Nov 1, 08, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777-DCA View Post
Why is it a must to do OLCI for same plane turnarounds?
Good question: that's one situation you KNOW you're not going to miss the connection!
Old Nov 1, 08, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
This is important because I'm doing a same plane turnaround DFW-AUS-DFW. So there's a good chance that when the 30-minute window hits for my AUS-DFW flight that I'm still in the air going DFW-AUS. I don't want to lose my seat! Y or F I just want a seat so I'm not stuck in AUS! (no offense to the good folks of Austin). Is there anything I can do tonight or in the AM or has that upgrade (which UpCheck had predicted was slim to none btw) royally screwed me and I'll likely be showed as a no show for not checking in for the AUS-DFW flight? Or can I check in DFW or MCI?
I've done the exact same turn during a mileage run - just check in at the gate when you arrive in AUS. Or check in at MCI at the beginning....
Old Nov 1, 08, 11:39 am

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Originally Posted by hillrider View Post
Good question: that's one situation you KNOW you're not going to miss the connection!
Of if you just check in at your origin airport. Problem solved.
Old Nov 1, 08, 1:07 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
For future MRs with same day turn-around, wait until <24 hours before the final leg of the MR. I've always been able to check in for all segments if I wait. Otherwise, I've had problems.
Old Nov 1, 08, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
When doing turnaround MRs, the gate agent has always been able to see that I am on the inbound and haven't checked in yet for the outbound. They generally have my boarding passes printed and waiting for me. If you haven't gotten them before (as suggested above) just check with them as soon as you deplane, while the rest of the flight is still deplaning.
Old Nov 1, 08, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post
For future MRs with same day turn-around, wait until <24 hours before the final leg of the MR. I've always been able to check in for all segments if I wait. Otherwise, I've had problems.
And, to expand, it has been reported that you can check in at 24 hr before you first flight, and then reprint your BP when all segments are within 24 hrs.
Old Nov 2, 08, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by aamilesslave View Post
And, to expand, it has been reported that you can check in at 24 hr before you first flight, and then reprint your BP when all segments are within 24 hrs.
having done several aus-ord-pdx-ord-aus same day RT mileage runs this year, I experienced what may have been an anomaly on one of the RT's

I had checked in approximately 19 hours prior (11am) to the departure time of the first flight (6am). Of course the OLCI would only let me print AUS-ORD and ORD-PDX, which were the only two departures within the 24 hour window. Just prior to leaving home the day of the MR, I try the OLCI again to print all four passes, but low and behold it still will only let me re-print the first two. So I went to the check-in next morning at AUS to ask for a print of all four boarding passes. The check-in agent informed me that she could not do that, and I would have to go back to check-in at PDX and re-check through security for the return flights' passes. I arrive in ORD and head to one of the in-terminal kiosks to attempt a print of the returning segments, but still no go; it will only let me re-print the first two. I arrive in PDX (same plane turn-around in 1 hour back to ORD). The flight was slightly delayed coming in due to chicago weather, so the gate agents in PDX try to start boarding as soon as the incoming plane has deplaned. Obviously I don't have time or want to go re-check through security, so I ask the gate agent if he could re-print my BP for this now-boarding flight, which he does after the usual several MR related questions as to why I was getting off a plane and getting straight back on. It is not until I arrive back at ORD that the kiosks let me print the final BP.

But again, seems like an anomaly because I have done that same MR several times, using OLCI at varying time points before the first departure and have not had this problem any other times.
Old Nov 2, 08, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
Just did a MR yesterday PHX-DFW-MCO and on Friday, > 24 hours before the last leg, but < 24 hours before the first three legs I was able to print all four boarding passes.
Old Nov 3, 08, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zipadee View Post
Doing MCI-DFW-AUS-DFW-LIT tomorrow MR for segments. Got confirmed upgrade AUS-DFW (I wanted to be near the front of plane cause tight connection to LIT)

Everything I had read here was that OLCI was a must for MRs with same plane turnarounds and tight connections.

But I'm ONLY able to do OLCI for MCI-DFW and DFW-AUS. I've called web services and AA Gold Advantage desk and they say there's nothing they can do for me. They are blaming the upgrade and that it's now in the airport's hands. They claim that I can check in for the rest of my flights in MCI or DFW. Is that true???!!! (praying so)

Thanks so much in advance
I don't know why. But at times you cannot get all BPs from OLCI for a same day turn. However, once you get to the airport that morning the kiosk should print out all BPs. I wait until I get to the airport and just print them all out at the same time. If the kiosk does not print all the BPs, an agent should be able to do so.
Old Nov 3, 08, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
I thought I'd come back and report my experience.

I did wait until 24 hours past all my flights so I should have been able to check in for all four but wasn't able to. (It was actually like 18 hours or so from my last flight)

My first flight was at 6 a.m. I really didn't want to be getting to the airport extra early (already having to leave around 4:30 as it was, which meant getting up at 3:30) to get the BPs from the check in counter.

However, I was able to use the fast track (or whatever you call it, I know it's not the right term) at MCI (I know this has been discussed in prior threads so thanks to the person who described how to use it for golds and highers).

I got to the gate with more time to spare than I expected and the GA was able to check me in for my next two flights. I didn't figure my upgrade had cleared on my first flight, I didn't have her check and she didn't check. Just did my last two BPs (and for those who care I did get upgraded AUS-DFW).

When I got ready to board, machine rejected my first BP. I had been upgraded. So had to get new BPs for that flight and the next one LOL.

When I got to DFW, I went to the gate for my AUS-DFW flight and asked the pilot if it were a turnaround one. (wanted to make sure nothing had changed).He said yes and looked at me curiously and asked if I were doing that. I said yes and said it was mileage run for status. The GA got it completely and explained how it worked but the pilot didn't get it and thought it was dumb. Anyhoo, I then checked in F for the flight AUS-DFW (turned out to be a good move to move up to front to be off the plane first, we had to wait 30 minutes for a gate so my doable connection became a tight one with like five minutes to spare). He recognized me and welcomed me aboard again.

And when I got ready to leave the pilot told me I was welcome to come to BNA with him and congrats on making PLAT. I smiled and said thanks and you are welcome to come to LIT with me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: