Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lifetime plat- buy or wait?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2008, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

lifetime plat- buy or wait?

I've got a bit more than 1.9mm lifetime miles, and I'm looking forward to lifetime plat status soon. On my current pace including BIS and credit card miles, I should be there around Feb or March 2009.

For several years I've been reading rumors on FT and other sites that AA could discontinue the lifetime program. Who knows?

So here's my question: Should I buy 60,000 miles for $1500 to put me over the 2mm mark before the end of the year and avoid the risk that AA ends the lifetime benefit at yearend '08? On one hand, I'll certainly get to the 2 million mark in early 2009, so I'd rather not spend the $1500. On the other hand, I'd be seriously bummed if that benefit ends as of 12/31/08 and I miss it my just a few miles. Obviously I'd rather save the money if possible, but Lifetime Plat is probably worth $1500 to me and I'd hate to take the chance.

And yes, I have factored in options like MRs, *wood, etc.

I would appreciate your expert opinion. Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:02 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by delta50

For several years I've been reading rumors on FT and other sites that AA could discontinue the lifetime program. Who knows?
Why are you believing the rumors any more now then for the previous few years? I see no more credible evidence now. I say don't do it.

Cheers.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:03 pm

Go ahead and try to get some credit card signup bonuses.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
They've been saying that ever since I've been here, and it hasn't happened yet, nor do I see it happening any time soon.

If you're that worried about it, buy the miles. Small price to pay for LT status, IMO.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Someone who knows ... has indicated that indeed change will probably happen eventually but any such change may not be likely to occur in the short term.

Last edited by serfty; Oct 30, 2008 at 7:33 pm
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by brp
Why are you believing the rumors any more now then for the previous few years? I see no more credible evidence now. I say don't do it.

Cheers.
Well, I don't necessarily disagree and right now I wouldn't do it if I were in the OPs shoes.

However, having said that, surely you must at least be willing to acknowledge that the airline game has changed dramatically relative to a "the previous few years" no? I don't like to play in the rumor game, but I'm also not positive that anything is actually off the table at this point in time. My gut feeling is that the removal of features and/or benefits that would have been verboten a few years ago might very well be in play these days...

Regards

P.S. I'm not trying to contribute to the rumor re:Lifetime Status, just my own gut feel/paranoia that it will be long gone before I get there (I have aways to go)
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scubadu

However, having said that, surely you must at least be willing to acknowledge that the airline game has changed dramatically relative to a "the previous few years" no? I don't like to play in the rumor game, but I'm also not positive that anything is actually off the table at this point in time. My gut feeling is that the removal of features and/or benefits that would have been verboten a few years ago might very well be in play these days...
Oh, the game has undoubtedly changed. But, with that as backdrop, we could question any present feature of the system. I just see nothing to say that this particular feature is any more at risk than any other. The knowledgeable source posted above is sure that it will change some time...but likely not soon. That's good enough for me.

Cheers.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by brp
Oh, the game has undoubtedly changed. But, with that as backdrop, we could question any present feature of the system. I just see nothing to say that this particular feature is any more at risk than any other. The knowledgeable source posted above is sure that it will change some time...but likely not soon. That's good enough for me.

Cheers.
Fair enough. And for the most part I agree. I think what makes me more nervous about Lifetime Status is that relative to other present features, this one seems to be pretty unique to AA. Many of the other features of the various status levels are at least similar between the airlines and therefore there is a competitive risk to removing things that your competition might keep. However, it appears there really is no competitive equivalent to AA LS, thus perhaps making that one easier to whack.

I'm afraid that by the time I could get to 1 or 2 MM, the gig will be up. Wish I had found FT a few years ago!

Regards
Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:30 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
OP says s/he would be bummed to miss LT PLT by a few miles and would hate to take the chance of not making it...sounds like a "peace of mind" issue.

If the OP's peace of mind is worth $1500 to him/her, I'd say go for it...as for me, at .4M LT it's a moot point.

cheers!
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
Someone who knows ... has indicated that indeed change will probably happen eventually but any such change may not be likely to occur in the short term.
Nothing against his credibility, but he's not saying anything conclusive there. I'll believe it when I see it. It could happen 20 years from now for all we know...
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Another point to consider...

If they did change it at the end of this year (which I personally highly doubt), don't you think they'd grandfather in whatever miles you currently have and make it BIS from here on out? If so, you could save that $1500 and just get the remaining miles as you normally would.

IMO, I don't see AA going back through the millions of AAdvantage accounts trying to sort through which were flight miles vs. credit card vs. eshopping, etc.

Again... my opinion only, but I'd think they go to a BIS miles "from this point forward," if the program were to change (and I think it eventually will since it's much more generous that other airlines' lifetime programs)
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
The point about the peace of mind of having being worth the price paid to the mind's owner is valid, and that's a decision only the OP can make.

That aside, I'd agree with the chorus of not making the purchase. Take the advice to go w/ a credit card sign-up bonus, as that would be good "boost" to your lifetime count. If you're an SPG Member with SPG points you know you won't be using, the 5K bonus for a 20K point transfer would be another boost. And, meanwhile, the usual suggestions: make sure as many purchases as possible are via AAdvantage e-shopping, register your cards w/ rewAArds Network/i-dine, etc. Those are miles-earning activities you really don't have to go out of your way to do. If you're worried about the non-flying miles perk ending soon, at least make sure that now you're earning them in as many ways possible.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by skye1
The point about the peace of mind of having being worth the price paid to the mind's owner is valid, and that's a decision only the OP can make.

That aside, I'd agree with the chorus of not making the purchase. Take the advice to go w/ a credit card sign-up bonus, as that would be good "boost" to your lifetime count. If you're an SPG Member with SPG points you know you won't be using, the 5K bonus for a 20K point transfer would be another boost. And, meanwhile, the usual suggestions: make sure as many purchases as possible are via AAdvantage e-shopping, register your cards w/ rewAArds Network/i-dine, etc. Those are miles-earning activities you really don't have to go out of your way to do. If you're worried about the non-flying miles perk ending soon, at least make sure that now you're earning them in as many ways possible.
Forget one CC signup. There are 4 available CCs right now (AA MasterCard, Visa, Amex, and Business Mastercard). Any 3 would give at least the 60k, and potentially more depending on which you do.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:10 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by serfty
I believe that the point of his post is that he doesn't know.

As far as opinions go, here's mine: If/when a change is made, it will be made quickly and without fanfare.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 4:17 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by delta50
Obviously I'd rather save the money if possible, but Lifetime Plat is probably worth $1500 to me and I'd hate to take the chance.
The "cost" for "securing" Lifetime Plat wouldn't be $1,500, it would be $1,500 minus whatever value you can get out of the 60,000 miles you buy.

If you want to complicate the decision even more you should consider the eVIPs that you get when crossing 2MM. If you cross the threshold this year they will be valid until 02/2010, if you cross next year then 02/2011, if that perk is still around in 2009.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.