Wiki Posts
Search

Award question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Award question

I was wondering if an award is booked using miles from EXP account for non-EXPs, are the award booking fees waived? Also, is the award change fee and miles re-instatement fee waived as well for such a reservation? I thought that it was the case but I tried to look on AA.com and couldn't find the answer. Can somebody confirm it?

Would appreciate your input.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:00 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Not unless the EXP is also traveling on the itinerary.

Cheers.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
OK, good to know. Thanks for a quick answer.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by jeelele
Also, is the award change fee and miles re-instatement fee waived as well for such a reservation?
The expedite fees are waived if the EXP is on the itinerary but AFAIK award change fees and miles re-instatement fees are not waived even for EXPs. So as far as that goes, it won't matter if the EXP is on the itinerary or not.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 1:00 pm

Interesting. For some reason, I was under the assumption that if the miles are coming from an EXP account, award fees will be waived.

What about the so-called 'Expanded Award Availability'? Is that also valid only if the EXP is on the itinerary?
Old Oct 30, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by vrbaba
Interesting. For some reason, I was under the assumption that if the miles are coming from an EXP account, award fees will be waived.
Sadly, applicable change fees and the cancellation/reinstatement fees are not mentioned as being waived in the EXP guide.

"When you are requesting AAdvantage awards within 21 days of departure, AAdvantage award fees will be waived.

Originally Posted by vrbaba
What about the so-called 'Expanded Award Availability'? Is that also valid only if the EXP is on the itinerary?
I believe so.

"As an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member, you have exclusive access to additional MileSAAverSM award seating availability on American Airlines, American Eagle and
AmericanConnection flights you and one companion. While this is not a guarantee of available seating, it does provide more flexibility when you are traveling on a MileSAAver award."
(bolding mine)
Old Nov 4, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Wow, much different an UA on this one. 1K's are exempt from all sorts of these stupid fees, even if we aren't on the itin!
Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA L/T Gold
Originally Posted by jeelele
I was wondering if an award is booked using miles from EXP account for non-EXPs, are the award booking fees waived? Also, is the award change fee and miles re-instatement fee waived as well for such a reservation? I thought that it was the case but I tried to look on AA.com and couldn't find the answer. Can somebody confirm it?

Would appreciate your input.
What did AA say when you called them BEFORE you posted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.