Old Oct 28, 2008, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
$5 award fee dropped...

Searched but couldn't find it...

AA dropped the $5 award fee...

Please delete if this is a duplicate...
Old Oct 28, 2008, 7:26 am

really? I was just pricing an award itinerary on Friday and it was showing the $5 fee. (Obviously, not for me)

Details anyone?

I would applaud AA for getting rid of this ridiculous (IMO) fee. I hope they do it for <21 days booking too.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 7:33 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Now if only they'll remove the bag fees so everyone else checks an I can once again carry-on my own bags.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Is this real?

I know $5 isn't much money, but I remember when the fee was first announced, many (including me) were pretty annoyed at it, just on principle. Now you say the fee was lifted 4 weeks ago, this was the first post of it on FT, this thread is 10 hours old, and it's languishing on page 2 with only 3 replies?

I can't find anything about the fee - one way or another - on aa.com. Is there any source for this, besides a post on another IBB?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Wall Street Journal article

"And a few weeks ago, AMR Corp.'s American Airlines quietly dropped its $5 booking fee to get a frequent-flier award ticket, restoring the principle that a frequent-flier award can actually be "free." (You still have to pay to get a "free" ride on US Airways Group Inc., Delta and Northwest Airlines.)"
Old Oct 28, 2008, 5:18 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by swag

I can't find anything about the fee - one way or another - on aa.com. Is there any source for this, besides a post on another IBB?
Trust the folks on that IBB. Given who said it, it's true.

Cheers.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I think it is quite possible that many of us didn't notice the fee being dropped because it really applied to straightforward round-trip bookings on aa.com only. For any of us who are EXP redeeming for ourselves, no fee. The $20 fee for booking over the phone on anything complex overrode the $5 fee, and anyone booking late (<21) also had their fees overridden by the late redemption fee. So I think it was easy to miss the fee being gone ...
Old Oct 28, 2008, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by swag
Is this real?

I know $5 isn't much money, but I remember when the fee was first announced, many (including me) were pretty annoyed at it, just on principle.
Try a dummy award booking on aa.com and see for yourself!
Old Oct 28, 2008, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by RxCapt
Wall Street Journal article

"And a few weeks ago, AMR Corp.'s American Airlines quietly dropped its $5 booking fee to get a frequent-flier award ticket, restoring the principle that a frequent-flier award can actually be "free." (You still have to pay to get a "free" ride on US Airways Group Inc., Delta and Northwest Airlines.)"
Thanks.

I wonder why it was so quiet - not even a news item on the aa.com AAdvantage News page?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 7:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 1MM+, Marriot Platinum, Avis First
Hmmmmmmm, I just put an award reservation on hold. They still charged the $5 fee. Says is $2.50 Sept 11 security way each way.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 7:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by moyrani
Hmmmmmmm, I just put an award reservation on hold. They still charged the $5 fee. Says is $2.50 Sept 11 security way each way.
That has nothing to do with the $5 award processing fee that was charged. This fee has definitely gone. Honestly!
Old Oct 28, 2008, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I'm confused abt what this $5 fee is.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Tiny miracles can happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.