FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Is 250,000 AA miles considered a lot???? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/881108-250-000-aa-miles-considered-lot.html)

Americanaddict Oct 29, 2008 5:42 pm

250,000 Miles???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

When you get to 4M some of us will talk to you

I remember 2 or 3 years ago when AA had there annual contest of top frequent flyers who had the best story the top one of the group did 140K mile that year. :eek: In that story two or three of the winners did between 30-50K miles in the year and talked about how they had to "unwind" from all the stress

Frick I do that in a month most of the time

Now take your 250,000 miles and go to the little table and sit quietly:)

250,000 miles, is that a lot, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NomadPerkins Oct 29, 2008 6:19 pm

It all depends on how you use them. I just burned 300,000 for 2 business class tickets from SEA-LHR for next April for family. 1 @ 100K, 1@200K. But if they didn't have such expensive tastes, probably could have gotten 12 domestic round trips for the same mileage...
At least you're well on your way to Lifetime Gold (if not already there)

WRCSolberg Oct 29, 2008 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Americanaddict (Post 10598569)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I remember 2 or 3 years ago when AA had there annual contest of top frequent flyers who had the best story the top one of the group did 140K mile that year. :eek: In that story two or three of the winners did between 30-50K miles in the year and talked about how they had to "unwind" from all the stress

Frick I do that in a month most of the time

Now take your 250,000 miles and go to the little table and sit quietly:)

250,000 miles, is that a lot, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

50k *flown* miles/year. I'd like to see how you're flying 600k BIS miles/year. Maybe if you're doing two RTs to Europe every week, which I doubt, or a weekly RT to Asia which is equally as probable.

In any case, I'll talk to him, I don't use my mileage balance as compensation for deficiencies in other areas.

brp Oct 29, 2008 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg (Post 10599071)

In any case, I'll talk to him, I don't use my mileage balance as compensation for deficiencies in other areas.

Jeez, no shite! Talk about condescending while fabricating at the same time. Someone needs to go the "little table" for a timeout, and it's not the OP :)

Cheers.

jimorr67 Oct 29, 2008 10:11 pm

Well.....I have about 950k in the bank....and I"ll book about 360k points this year.

Why so many in the bank? I guess because I am so tight I squeak, but if I have to give real reasons:

1)Mostly because the family prefers to drive cross-country for vacation (and it's not just me not wanting to get back on an airplane - the whole family is into it! It doesn't hurt that the kids know www.roadsideamerica.com and with the air points come hotel points - no motel6)
2) Mrs jimorr67 says if she handles the kids while I travel, she will never see a coach seat again and I need to have the resources ready when she wants to come along on a trip or head out for a ladies weekend.
3) I am taking the jimorr67 family of 5 on a round-the-world run when the youngest gets old enough and have to have the baseline in place to handle it.
4) I just may not be doing this kind of flying much longer and would not be very happy if I actually had to spend $ for tickets

dayone Oct 29, 2008 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Americanaddict (Post 10598569)

Since you only have 4MM, does that mean that I don't have to talk to you?

Americanaddict Oct 29, 2008 10:56 pm

Guys

Read the email

50,000 miles a year is what one of the winners of Americans annual award to frequent flyers who write the most compelling story. He was talking about how that much travel caused him so much stress

Yes, I do fly 20-30K a month, and by chance your right, there are at least one LAX to LHR flights a month. The month has been LAX-LHR, and SFO-NRT-SIN-HGK-SFO, with a few SFO-JFK and SFO-BOS as aside

Oh, and if you do the math, I indicated 250-300k, not 600 and yes I have well over 4M miles on AA and 1.5M still in the bank. And no, I dont have an AA credit card these are all earned flying miles

Yes, your right, I was over the top, I guess looking at what some of us do have to do to remain employeed I overreacted to what I percieved at an overexaggerate wide eye glean of "is this alot"

I guess I have spent to many nights at midnight waiting for a plane to board to get somewhere the next morning

Point taken and apology offered

brp Oct 29, 2008 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Americanaddict (Post 10599992)
Yes, your right, I was over the top, I guess looking at what some of us do have to do to remain employeed I overreacted to what I percieved at an overexaggerate wide eye glean of "is this alot"

I guess I have spent to many nights at midnight waiting for a plane to board to get somewhere the next morning

Point taken and apology offered

^^Kudos to Americanaddict for this. As someone lucky enough not to have to do any business travel and being able to do all of my trips to EXP with my wife by my side, I do feel for those whose jobs put them on the road away from family for such long periods. I would imagine that it does take its toll and make some claims seem somewhat petty by comparison. I retract my comments above as well.

I do have to mention, that you really do mean "you're" and not "your" :)

Cheers.

tom911 Oct 29, 2008 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Americanaddict (Post 10599992)
yes I have well over 4M miles on AA and 1.5M still in the bank

I'm surprised it took you so long to find FlyerTalk. How did you come across this site?

Americanaddict Oct 29, 2008 11:19 pm

I've known about it for a couple of years. I needed some info so I recently joined.

I am not much of a joiner in general:(

brp Oct 29, 2008 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 10600047)
I'm surprised it took you so long to find FlyerTalk. How did you come across this site?

I think the folks that do this flying thing for a living (as opposed to you and I who have more choice in the matter) and to the tune of 200K+ miles a year don't have time (and possibly not need) for FT :)

Cheers.

dayone Oct 30, 2008 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Americanaddict (Post 10600063)
I am not much of a joiner in general

Except for "AA EXP, UL, DL."

mvoight Oct 31, 2008 12:28 am

Originally Posted by discoboy (Post 10574651)
Hi, I have 250,000 AA miles which is the most I have ever had. Is this considered a lot of AA miles?
Thanks.
D.

------------------------------

I thought I would start another thread about this because I have more info to add.

My AA account has 250,000 miles which is the most I've ever had.
My wife's AA account has 77,000 miles.
So we really have 327,000 miles total.

I also have 37,000 American Express Rewards points which I understand I can transfer to AA or Hawaiian Air. Now the interesting part is I have 80,000 miles in my Hawaiian Account already so I don't really need to use the Amex points there although I could to round up to enough Hawaiian miles for 3 free tickets instead of two.

I am also thinking of transferring some Amex points to Hiton Honors. I currently have 150,000 Hilton Honors points. Although, I think that 37,000 Amex points would be of greater value if I transferred them to either AA or Hawaiian what do you all think? Are there other better options for the Amex points?

How would you all allocate the various options? I have to purchase 4 roundtrips each time I redeem miles for the family and will be flying coach.
D.

The basic question is what do you want to use all of this for?
If you are a Hilton Elite, then 150K will get you a nice 6 night stay at a good hotel. It is relatively easy to become a hhonors elite. Hilton even counts award nights/stays toward qualification.

steve32 Oct 31, 2008 12:51 pm

Doesn't Kiwi Flyer hold top level status in four airline programs each year, thus doing more than 100,000 miles in each program each year?

Steve

mvoight Oct 31, 2008 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by NomadPerkins (Post 10598735)
It all depends on how you use them. I just burned 300,000 for 2 business class tickets from SEA-LHR for next April for family. 1 @ 100K, 1@200K. But if they didn't have such expensive tastes, probably could have gotten 12 domestic round trips for the same mileage...
At least you're well on your way to Lifetime Gold (if not already there)

WOW. 200K for a 100K ticket. :)
I would have bought a ticket and gone for vip upgrades