Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 250,000 AA miles considered a lot????

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by discoboy
Hi, I have 250,000 AA miles which is the most I have ever had. Is this considered a lot of AA miles?
Thanks.
D.
How and where do you want to travel? On sAAver tix to Europe, it's 2 in F or 4 in Y.

OTOH, if you wanted to fly to, say, the MidEast on a partner award in J, at 135k each it's not enough.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum & a bunch of hotel statuses
As mentioned before, all that really matters is if it is alot to you.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:20 pm

It's a lot of miles to me.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

I have to use the miles to purchase 4 tickets at a time for the family so I was thinking of doing 4 rt on Alaska to Vancouver from SFO for the olympics and then 4 rt. to Hawaii.
Would that be a good value for the miles?
What is the required miles to travel to London in coach?
D.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
That's enough for two first class tickets to Asia (zone 1), Europe or South America, which on routes such as JFK - LHR, are sometimes over 15K each (even higher on some other routes). So, think of it as having over 30K to travel.
If you had 30k to travel, would you spend it on two F tickets? If not, what's your point?
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
I have to use the miles to purchase 4 tickets at a time for the family so I was thinking of doing 4 rt on Alaska to Vancouver from SFO for the olympics and then 4 rt. to Hawaii.
How much would those tickets cost to buy? What else can you do with the miles? What would the value be to you?

D.
http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...jsp#awardchart

Who would have thought that this info could be found on aa.com of all places?
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
SFO to Vancouver may not be the best use depending on what the route prices at. It's too far out to get prices for 2010. If you can get a ticket in the $200 range you might want to save the miles for something that would cost more. Frequent flyer seats may disappear quickly when they do open up. You won't know until you start playing with dates, fares, and availability. All those factor into a decision. I used an award ticket for the Beijing Olympics and booked 11 months ahead, and did that primarily in the event I needed to cancel (cheap insurance--$150 to cancel the ticket). If you are looking at using miles for Vancouver, you do want to look that far out for the best options.

With recent SFO-Honolulu fares up in the $600 range this would be a good time to use miles there. It would be 35K in coach off peak, with higher priced awards available.

As low as 40K between October 15-May 15. I'll be using one of those myself in December for a week visit.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
If you had 30k to travel, would you spend it on two F tickets? If not, what's your point?
Brilliant question. That's EXACTLY the issue that's often missed when people ponder the riddle of "how much are miles worth?"

The worth of your miles is determined by your willingness to pay -- in cash -- for the services redeemed with those miles. Not the actual price of those services as charged by the airlines.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Hi, I have 250,000 AA miles which is the most I have ever had. Is this considered a lot of AA miles?
It is not. It is peanuts.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP - 1 MM; SPG PLT; HH Silver
I say spend it quickly. Miles are not worth what they used to...
Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA/BA
not impressed

An average executive platinum by definition earns this number of miles every year he re-qualifies.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 1:14 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Mrs. BLG and I each have about 200,000 banked and I would say that we both consider our balances nice, but not anything stupendous. If I had more than 400,000 banked I would consider it a lot because I would be thinking that it was dumb to let that many bank in a mileage-inflating world. With 200-250 I figure I'm still in the ball park where I can use them for a RT Asia award in F or something else that would be feel worthwhile and have some leftover for an upgrade here and there.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by passinginterest
An average executive platinum by definition earns this number of miles every year he re-qualifies.
Isn't how many miles are used as relevant as how many miles are earned?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by passinginterest
Or she....
Old Oct 26, 2008, 2:15 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by britenbsas
I have $250k in the bank which is the most I have ever had. Am I rich?
Originally Posted by jpmcdonough
No, but you will be after the election.
Actually, you're both wrong...your neighbors will be richer once you've had a chance to "spread the wealth around"...and you will be "happier" since you had the opportunity to "change" their lives for the better.

Won't you?

Oh, and to OP...as some others have stated, it's relative. This will be my second year as EXP, qualifying on segments; at the end of the year I'll have about 400K program to date and about 250K "in the bank". I've averaged about 150K RDM/year and about 80K EQM for the last two years. I've been an AAdvantage member since Jan 2006. Some here accumulate miles faster than that, some slower. Within the relatively rarefied company kept here at FT, I'll guess I'm on the below average end of the scale when it comes to accumulation of miles.

Does it really matter what any of us think of how many miles you have? I think not. If you're happy with the miles and with what you do with them, that's what counts.

cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.