FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   UA flyer compares Transcons SFO/JFK on 178 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/879747-ua-flyer-compares-transcons-sfo-jfk-178-a.html)

PHL Oct 22, 2008 8:17 am

Originally Posted by r415 (Post 10557793)
Well, if it was a 3-class aircraft, it was a 767-200. Most of the transcons are 2-class 767-300s....

On AA, just 1 out of 5 daily nonstops between JFK and SFO is a 767-300. For JFK-LAX, all NINE of the trips are flown with a 762. What constitutes "most" in your book?

goldengate Oct 22, 2008 8:43 am

I'm a United 1K and an AA EXP so I think I might be qualified to compare. The largest single factor in me switching almost 100% to AA this year was the possibility of upgrade. United's TED service meant that on most of my domestic routes, there would be no chance of upgrade. I understand that TED is going away now. The other factor was the nonstops from SFO to MIA, which UA discontinued after 9/11. I haven't tried using miles internationally on AA but do like the fact that on UA I can choose between Lufthansa and United to get over the Atlantic (only AA until the Open Skies BA initiative passes, if ever) and have never had trouble finding seats in business or first to Europe for vacation.

And finally - AA offers better service into Latin America.

Overall I think the service on AA is better - and there is more of a sense of the airline's history than on United, for some reason. (Yeah, that sounds a little hokey).

rfrost Oct 22, 2008 9:46 am

Dan, it's so nice to "see" you over here!

I utterly hated sitting in Y on UA's p.s. planes--yes, technically it fit the definition of Econ + by coming in at the minimal 34", but, particularly with a single aisle, it felt sardine-like, and with nary an exit row seat to escape it, and I always considered it to be E+-. Of course, AA's LRTC Y seats on the transcons are even more cramped, but fortunately, I think I've always managed to snag an exit row when in Y. I would add that, leg room aside, I think AA's Y seats are less comfortable than UA's (though not as bad on the 767's as on the 777's); less padding or something. As for Biz, I REALLY LOVED row 9 (and would rate it higher than any seat in AA's biz class), but was less happy the one time I had to sit elsewhere. I do think AA's service, even with a bigger cabin, is better nowadays than UA's.But, as I believe one of the posters above has commented, ease of upgrading is definitely significant for some of us. As a 1K, I was initially always able to UG on UA, but that seemed to become tighter over time, and as a PremEx, I didn't think my chances were that good. I've had a good success rate at the equivalent level on AA, and that means a lot.
But the other reason I fly AA transcon is because AA's now my primary domestic carrier by virtue of their far better route structure in NY and it makes sense to fly them.

r415 Oct 22, 2008 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by chj (Post 10557888)
Most of the transcons? Really?.

Sorry, my bad... I should have said "most of the transcons that I take" ;)

RChavez Oct 22, 2008 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by aa767flyer (Post 10557877)
I miss the old fur lined seat on AA and love seat 2D.

I dunno, I felt a little awkward in that seat like I was exposed sitting in the middle of the cabin. I found 2J really enjoyable, especially with 2H open. It feels extremely private when it's just you, and you can curl up and make yourself at home.

If it's a full cabin, I can see the benefit of 2D in that you don't have a seatmate. But the seatmate doesn't bother me as I'm used to it, and there's the added bonus of potentially having it empty leaving a ton of room to spread out.

aa767flyer Oct 23, 2008 8:13 am

Originally Posted by RChavez (Post 10562821)
I dunno, I felt a little awkward in that seat like I was exposed sitting in the middle of the cabin. I found 2J really enjoyable, especially with 2H open. It feels extremely private when it's just you, and you can curl up and make yourself at home.

If it's a full cabin, I can see the benefit of 2D in that you don't have a seatmate. But the seatmate doesn't bother me as I'm used to it, and there's the added bonus of potentially having it empty leaving a ton of room to spread out.

I understand what you mean. In-fact I am booked in 2D on the red-eye SFO-JFK this week and I am thinking of moving just for the privacy when I sleep. Not to mention the wall make for a nice support to prop the pillow up a bit. Ah but to think of the days when you could actually have an open seat next to you. I miss that.

DillMan Oct 23, 2008 9:48 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61i)

What is this 'coach' you speak of?

unitedPSbusiness Oct 23, 2008 10:37 pm

I must admit. I usually fly in business class and have done PLENTY on both AA and UA P.S. I haven't been on UA in about 2 years, however.

The Business Class product on the AA 762 is VERY comparable to United's PS Business. AA's 762 J seats are a tad bit narrower, but other than that, the product and service are equivalent.

Coach on the AA 762 is tight, but I get cleared to J more often on AA than I did on UA.

Can't speak for F on UA, but I can say that I find F on the 762 to be a waste. I just shelled out for it about a week ago and would have felt MUCH better off saving miles/money and staying in J.

I also hear that AA has more flights with meals in F and J than on UA (due to odd flight times).

unitedPSbusiness Oct 23, 2008 10:40 pm

By the way... The ones really missing out are the Delta flyers doing the transcon...

billgrates3 Oct 24, 2008 12:58 am

Originally Posted by goldengate (Post 10558722)
I haven't tried using miles internationally on AA but do like the fact that on UA I can choose between Lufthansa and United to get over the Atlantic.

You've hit on the biggest negative for the AA frequent foreign flyer.... no direct flights to Europe or Asia from SFO. i've sent suggestions to AA many times to add TATL or TransPac flights from SFO, but nope, not gonna happen. Maybe if the BA thing happens.....