Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First QF status credits on Coach/Business flights in USA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2008, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
First QF status credits on Coach/Business flights in USA?

Hi

There are a number of flights within the USA on AA that operate 757s/MD80 which seem to only offer coach and business, but not first. If I book a AONEx and book into 'business' class, can I expect to receive First SCs? Or must the aircraft type offer 'First'? If the former, that limits my travel to non-757/MD80 etc.

I've also found there are supposed 3 class flights that operate on 767-200 metal. Are these 'real' First? I would have thought something so old would have a pretty horrid first cabin. I'm specifically referring to LAX/SFO-JFK. I think I might be better off going CX YVR-JFK for a true first class offering.

And just quickly, there is a thread in the sticky FAQ that claims there's a seasonal MIA-JFK 3 class plane. I can't find it for the life of me... anyone know which 'season' it flies?

Ta
Old Oct 18, 2008, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
To answer one question, just about all domestic AA flights operate in a 2 class First and Economy (coach) configuration. It is First, not business class. With an AONE you will book into A class.

Some flights to other north american destinations (including for example Mexico and Canada) will have only business and economy class. It will be the same seating as First class, just that its called business for those flights.

The exception as you have found out is some Flagship transcontinental flights which do operate in 3 classes. They are dedicated B767-200 aircraft which have pretty comfortable deep reclining seats in First class (but not beds!).

All domestic AA flights operated by 767-300 aircraft operate in First and coach class. The seats in first on those flights are the same as for international business, so flat, but inclined beds.

Regards

lme ff
Old Oct 18, 2008, 4:35 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Gold_Member
There are a number of flights within the USA on AA that operate 757s/MD80 which seem to only offer coach and business, but not first.
Could you name even one? I cannot find any. All intra-USA on 757/MD-80 are First & Coach.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 8:06 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
All US domestic flights (literal definition) are F and Y only. The 3 class 767 you refer to is used for JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO and all 3 classes are sold.
One route off the top of my head that uses the 3 class 767 but is not sold as such is JFK-MIA that has a daily r/t. In this case it is marketed as 2 classes, F and Y only. The J section (lie slant seats) can be picked by AA (OW?) elites for seating pleasure but receives Y service. There are other routes.

All "domestic" flights that are North America as defined by AA but go to international destinations such as Canada, Central America and the Caribbean are marketed as J and Y only (the J being the same cabin as F on US flights).

On JFK-SFO/LAX if you book business you will get business SC (on 767-200) or you will fly first on any other type of equipment and collect first SC. Whatever flight you take to YVR for the CX flight will be business only.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 8:31 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, lots of old plastic claiming to be precious metal
Originally Posted by christep
Could you name even one? I cannot find any. All intra-USA on 757/MD-80 are First & Coach.
I'm also unsure that there are any such flights "within the USA". There is, however, no shortage of USA-Central America/Caribbean flights that do come into this category. My take on the question posed by the OP is that you will probably only get the SCs for Business Class, assuming you are in D and not in L.

QF may be different from BA in this respect, but I doubt it. The BAEC T&Cs state clearly that TPs are awarded according to the cabin in which you travel & for which you hold a reservation. As you can't reserve in First for these flights, it's Business TPs/SCs only, IMO.

FWIW, any AONEx traveller has this issue on a great many possible segments, such as all IB, all BA short-haul, all QF domestic & those are only a few examples. Surely, the additional price compared with a DONEx reflects the fact that the average itinerary turns out to be a mix of A & D? Some people will try to maximize the A content, of course, but I bet most people aiming for maximum segments end up with quite a lot of D. I know that I have.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 9:09 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
The only "intra-USA" flights on which the front cabin is designated as business are those to US possessions in the Caribbean, e.g. SJU.

There are several 3-class domestic flights on 767 or 777 equipment, also a couple of 3-class-sold-as-2 (e.g. one daily DFW-ORD 777) where the "business" cabin can be occupied by Y pax.

There are occasional cases where 3-class planes are used seasonally on mid-haul routes like MIA-JFK but generally not as a rule.

AFAIK both tier points and sector credits are based on the actual COS, so J credits for Canada/Mexico/Caribbean flights, F for domestic 2-class ops.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:47 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Even though there is a question about Qantas status credits, most of the other questions are about AA flights. So, moving the thread to a new home on the AAdvantage forum.

Kiwi Flyer
OW moderator
Old Oct 18, 2008, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by christep
The confusion is 2 class v. 3 class domestic service. AA offers either First & Coach OR First, Business, Coach.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
Thanks guys, this seems to have clarified my understanding (or lack thereof!). I was actually using the term USA when I should have written North America. You're right, the 757/MD80 with the Business Class issue are only applicable to non-USA travel, but nevertheless still within the North America OWE zone.

At this stage, I plan to arrive Intercontinental into DFW, then fly 3-class to ORD. My other 3-class flights include LAX-MIA (777), MIA-JFK (76? - still not sure which dates/season this runs???), JFK-YYZ (LAN). I will now limit the remainder of my travel specifically to within the USA. The challenge now is to identify worthwhile cities with reasonable SC earn that don't violate the single trans continental rule. Anyone got any suggestions? I was thinking perhaps JFK/BOS-Vail/Denver. Colorado any good in summer? ANC on a 757 doesn't appeal despite the killer SCs...

GM
Old Oct 19, 2008, 1:39 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Gold_Member
ANC on a 757 doesn't appeal despite the killer SCs...
Its only the return red-eye that sucks. Sleeping in those brown leather minimal recline seats is very difficult.

The day time northbound flight is great - especially if you are sitting on the right side and have clear weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.