Tired of these last minute equipment changes...

Old Oct 16, 08, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, US Chairman, CO, DL, NW, MR Gold, HH
Tired of these last minute equipment changes...

4th time in about 5 weeks that I've been on a flight where the equipment has changed within 48 hours of departure. I've kept my mouth shut because I didn't want to make a "mountain out of a molehill", but there has to be someone with some logic behind these moves.

Normally, if I were on a 757 or MD83 or 763 I ride up front, however when I am going in and out of BOS, LGA, JFK I am on a RJ135 or RJ140. Well what happens when you purchase your ticket as a Platinum member, on a RJ135, you pick your "Preferred Seat" in the exit row (11A) and then they swap it out for an RJ140 and now the exit row is 9A. Guess what? You don't get 9A, you stick in your assigned seat of 11A!!

Ok minor inconvenience, but if AA.COM is really marketing these "Preferred Seats" , then I better get a preferred Seat if I book a preferred Seat!!

(Stepping off of soap box now...)

Last edited by dxp178; Oct 16, 08 at 7:16 am
Old Oct 16, 08, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by dxp178 View Post
Normally, if I were a 757 or MD83 or 763 I ride up front
So it would be abnormal for you to be a passenger rather than the actual plane
Old Oct 16, 08, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I had this happen once a bit ago (on JFK-RDU nonetheless), I was with my parents in 9 A/B/C exit row on a RJ135. Equipment was changed to RJ145, at boarding our BPs didn't work, they gave us new ones for corresponding exit row 13 A/B/C without asking. We were on 3 seperate record locators too.
Old Oct 16, 08, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, US Chairman, CO, DL, NW, MR Gold, HH
Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post
So it would be abnormal for you to be a passenger rather than the actual plane
Touche'

The idea of "I just flew in from Dallas...and boy my arms are tired!" comes to mind! ^
Old Oct 16, 08, 7:35 am

Programs: AAPlat, Delta Gold, HH Gold, Amex,Marriott, CO
I had the same thing this week. Was going DFW-LAS picked 9E months ago and checked in at the 24 hr. mark.
When I got to the counter they gave me 41A- change of equipment. Was able to get a better seat. I guess they just random reassign.
Old Oct 16, 08, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dxp178 View Post
4th time in about 5 weeks that I've been on a flight where the equipment has changed within 48 hours of departure. I've kept my mouth shut because I didn't want to make a "mountain out of a molehill", but there has to be someone with some logic behind these moves.

Normally, if I were on a 757 or MD83 or 763 I ride up front, however when I am going in and out of BOS, LGA, JFK I am on a RJ135 or RJ140. Well what happens when you purchase your ticket as a Platinum member, on a RJ135, you pick your "Preferred Seat" in the exit row (11A) and then they swap it out for an RJ140 and now the exit row is 9A. Guess what? You don't get 9A, you stick in your assigned seat of 11A!!

Ok minor inconvenience, but if AA.COM is really marketing these "Preferred Seats" , then I better get a preferred Seat if I book a preferred Seat!!

(Stepping off of soap box now...)
HA. Same thing happened to me for my RDU-BOS flight today. Agree, this is not that hard for them to program into the computer.
Old Oct 16, 08, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Plat
I guess I'll be the first EXP on this thread to say: "Whenever my plane changed from a RJ145 to another RJ, my exit row seat was updated as well and I was given a new boarding pass."
Old Oct 16, 08, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM Hertz PC HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jakuda View Post
I guess I'll be the first EXP on this thread to say: "Whenever my plane changed from a RJ145 to another RJ, my exit row seat was updated as well and I was given a new boarding pass."
Same here.
Old Oct 16, 08, 10:41 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by havetoshop View Post
I had the same thing this week. Was going DFW-LAS picked 9E months ago and checked in at the 24 hr. mark.
When I got to the counter they gave me 41A- change of equipment. Was able to get a better seat. I guess they just random reassign.
Were you swapped to a 763 or a 772? And if 772, did they stick you in J?
Old Oct 16, 08, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by jakuda View Post
Nope, #2. See my post above.
Old Oct 16, 08, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Nope, #2. See my post above.
Ah, well your profile doesn't state you're EXP, unless your signature does (and I turn those off).

In any case, we EXPs seem to love to say: This didn't happen to me, so you must be wrong! haha.
Old Oct 16, 08, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
I had this happen once a bit ago (on JFK-RDU nonetheless), I was with my parents in 9 A/B/C exit row on a RJ135. Equipment was changed to RJ145, at boarding our BPs didn't work, they gave us new ones for corresponding exit row 13 A/B/C without asking. We were on 3 seperate record locators too.
I know you meant 12 A/B/C...
Old Oct 16, 08, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by alien View Post
I know you meant 12 A/B/C...
Is it row 12? It's been a while since I've been on a '145...
Old Oct 16, 08, 12:57 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
I have good news...

Flight 902/903 from CCS-MIA, now doesn't use an A300..
Instead it has been replaced with a 763,starting this week.The change has been so fast, that it even hasn't been noted on aa.com.

Most of you wouldn't care,but i wanted to give a heads up.
Old Oct 16, 08, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriot Plat Elite, AA EXP, Nat Exec Elite
Originally Posted by havetoshop View Post
I have many times from DFW-LAS #1413 had the MD80 or 757 switched to a 767. I make sure and check my seat when I check in and look at the plane before I board. Once they switched it and did not call my name to get a new BP then I got stuck at the back but next to a cool soldier on leave^. I can only assume this is done because a problem is found with the original plane the night before during inspections.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: