DC-3 to 787 within 1 hr

Old Oct 15, 08, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

DC-3 to 787 within 1 hr

Hi all.
Was sitting in the terminal at LGA looking at my email this afternoon when the press release on the plans to purchase the 787s passed by me. Within 1 hr of that, was in my seat on an MD80 (can't wait for them to be retired) and we pulled out and passed an AA DC-3 taxiing over to the hangers west of the main terminal.

70 years of aviation history (circa 1940 to circa 2010) within 60 minutes.

So, how does one get a ride on that beauty? Anyone know?

I believe that the last DC-3 in commercial service in the US was flown by Provincetown/Boston Airways. I'm sure someone will correct me on this and/or provide the date that it was finally retired. Wasn't THAT long ago, if I recall correctly.

If passing through LGA tonight, take a look for it.

C.
Old Oct 15, 08, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AA since 85 View Post
...was in my seat on an MD80 (can't wait for them to be retired)
[snip]
So, how does one get a ride on that [DC-3] beauty? Anyone know?
You don't like the MD80, but you want to ride on a DC-3? Very odd, indeed.
Old Oct 15, 08, 6:37 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
I am waiting for the 787 also! But on Continental!

You wanna ride on an 787?
Try Continental when they get one of the first ones!

Old Oct 15, 08, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
One of my dreams is to fly on a YS-11, ya' know the ones that Piedmont used to fly back in the days. I hear they still fly them somewhere in Southeast Asia.
Old Oct 16, 08, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AA since 85 View Post
Hi all.
Was sitting in the terminal at LGA looking at my email this afternoon when the press release on the plans to purchase the 787s passed by me. Within 1 hr of that, was in my seat on an MD80 (can't wait for them to be retired) and we pulled out and passed an AA DC-3 taxiing over to the hangers west of the main terminal.

70 years of aviation history (circa 1940 to circa 2010) within 60 minutes.

So, how does one get a ride on that beauty? Anyone know?

I believe that the last DC-3 in commercial service in the US was flown by Provincetown/Boston Airways. I'm sure someone will correct me on this and/or provide the date that it was finally retired. Wasn't THAT long ago, if I recall correctly.

If passing through LGA tonight, take a look for it.

C.
I don't think you can get a ride on AA's DC-3, NC17334. You can get a ride on a DC-3, you might look here to start with. The DC-3 inspires considerably less nostalgia in me - I had to fly in them, and they weren't really all that great. Those were the days, when airsick bags were used on almost every flight.
Old Oct 16, 08, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MR Gld; Hertz 5*), AA 2MM, SPG LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.
Originally Posted by R&R View Post
You wanna ride on an 787?
Try Continental when they get one of the first ones!

IIRC, NW was originally the North American launch customer. I haven't heard anything about whether DL tried to get out of the 787 purchase or whether they want them.
Old Oct 16, 08, 1:42 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by kebosabi View Post
One of my dreams is to fly on a YS-11, ya' know the ones that Piedmont used to fly back in the days. I hear they still fly them somewhere in Southeast Asia.
The YS 11 is a great if not very comfortable plane. I did tens of thousands of miles in them in the Aleutians over the years, and walked away from a shunt in one. I don't know that I'd crave another ride in one, but YMMV. Not comparable to a DC-3 however, in terms of experience or history.
Old Oct 16, 08, 2:22 pm
PHL

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver, UA Silver, MR LT Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by CO FF View Post
IIRC, NW was originally the North American launch customer. I haven't heard anything about whether DL tried to get out of the 787 purchase or whether they want them.
ANA is and always has been the global launch customer of the 787-3. CO was the first US customer to order the 787-8, and then convert some to the 787-9. NW ordered 787-9's. Both CO and NW begin taking delivery in 2009, so I'm not sure if any dates have been set to determine which is the US launch customer, and given the delays at Boeing those dates could easily slip..again...
Old Oct 16, 08, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Apparently 4 787s being assembled now (or would be but for the strike at Boeing) will be refurbished and delivered to NH and NW after flight testing is complete.
Old Oct 16, 08, 8:22 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Thumbs up

Even if CO is not the launch customer, I would still prefer to fly a 787 on Continental anyday of the week!
Old Oct 16, 08, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PHL View Post
ANA is and always has been the global launch customer of the 787-3. CO was the first US customer to order the 787-8, and then convert some to the 787-9. NW ordered 787-9's. Both CO and NW begin taking delivery in 2009, so I'm not sure if any dates have been set to determine which is the US launch customer, and given the delays at Boeing those dates could easily slip..again...
The dates will certainly slip, now because of the strike more than anything else.

And NW will be the first US-based airline to take delivery, just after ANA does. DL/NW are going to keep the delivery schedule for the 787s as is; they haven't announced any plans to defer or otherwise delay taking delivery of those planes. CO did order before NW but they ordered for later delivery dates, and they agreed with Boeing to delay slightly more (announced in today's call), though it is unclear if that is a CO-based deferment or a Boeing-based delay.