FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   New seating charts on aa.com (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/872684-new-seating-charts-aa-com.html)

bdemaria Oct 4, 2008 7:57 am

New seating charts on aa.com

Title pretty much says it all. Is it my imagination or has aa.com updated the seat maps, specifically those that one accesses to choose their seats for upcoming flights.

justforfun Oct 4, 2008 8:02 am

Yes, indeed they have changed. Very interesting. They're much bigger now. Not sure there's any improvement, though. I want to say they're a little harder to read now. The contrast in colors isn't as prominent. And the entire cabin doesn't fit on my screen, so have to scroll, whereas didn't have to before.

brp Oct 4, 2008 8:05 am

Originally Posted by justforfun (Post 10469301)
Yes, indeed they have changed. Very interesting. They're much bigger now. Not sure there's any improvement, though. I want to say they're a little harder to read now. The contrast in colors isn't as prominent.

Maybe it means the seats are bigger, too :)

Cheers.

chanp Oct 4, 2008 8:08 am

yes i just saw that. I think they are bigger, thats about it.

justforfun Oct 4, 2008 8:09 am

one can dream. good thing the upgrade gods have been kind to me this year.

ESpen36 Oct 4, 2008 8:15 am

One important distinction:

With the new seat maps, ANYONE can view available Q-blocked seats. With the old system, Q-blocked seats would show up as "occupied." Now, with the purple shading, you don't have to be logged in with an elite AAdvantage number to see exit rows and other Q-blocked seats.

bdemaria Oct 4, 2008 8:29 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 10469337)
One important distinction:

With the new seat maps, ANYONE can view available Q-blocked seats. With the old system, Q-blocked seats would show up as "occupied." Now, with the purple shading, you don't have to be logged in with an elite AAdvantage number to see exit rows and other Q-blocked seats.

When I check the seat map w/o logging in, I see the "preferred seats" w/a purple background but w/gray (=occupied) seats. When I logon, the purple background stays but the seats are now beige (=available).

sinner7 Oct 4, 2008 10:28 am

In addition to newer seating maps, I have noticed on the booking page they now allow you to add FF# for all of the AA partners, making it easier for those who would prefer to credit another program.

kebosabi Oct 4, 2008 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by sinner7 (Post 10469746)
In addition to newer seating maps, I have noticed on the booking page they now allow you to add FF# for all of the AA partners, making it easier for those who would prefer to credit another program.

Finally! ^

As for the new seat maps, I think it looks much more "in with the times." Sure we may have been used to the old system, but seriously it was in need of a uplift. It'll take some time to get used to, but I'm sure we'll all grow accustomed to it.

Gandhi90s Oct 4, 2008 12:40 pm

I like it. It has a much cleaner look.

cynicAAl Oct 4, 2008 12:51 pm

Are the "preferred seats" new ? These are exit row and some non exit row (aisle, window, toward front, power port seats) that AA notes as: ** Preferred seats are available to AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, AAirpass members and all passengers holding tickets with a Y or B booking code.

I don't remember this seat category existing before. They are noted on the seat map in the lavendar box. Are they just for GLBT pax ?

ESpen36 Oct 4, 2008 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl (Post 10470244)
Are the "preferred seats" new ? These are exit row and some non exit row (aisle, window, toward front, power port seats) that AA notes as: ** Preferred seats are available to AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, AAirpass members and all passengers holding tickets with a Y or B booking code.

Nope, they're not new. They have always been Q-blocked. It's just that, until now, you couldn't use AA.com to see those seats unless logged in as an elite or from inside a PNR booked in Y/B class. Now, you can see them regardless of whether you are logged in or not.

I don't remember this seat category existing before. They are noted on the seat map in the lavendar box. Are they just for GLBT pax ?
Nope, all passengers who fit the established criteria can select lavender seats, not just GLBT pax. :cool:

zman Oct 4, 2008 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 10469290)
Title pretty much says it all. Is it my imagination or has aa.com updated the seat maps, specifically those that one accesses to choose their seats for upcoming flights.

DL.COM changed their seat maps this week also. Maybe they are uisng the same contractor. Amazing how poeple want to spend $ on things that are NOT broke and what is broke they refuse to invest in.

jrockway Oct 4, 2008 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Gandhi90s (Post 10470212)
I like it. It has a much cleaner look.

So displaying the same information in more space is "clean"? Maybe they should let you print out a PDF of the actual-size aircraft -- that would be 93% cleaner!

Fornebufox Oct 4, 2008 2:30 pm

Don't like it -- too much extra scrolling!

Though it's nice to see what coach seats are considered premium -- even helps to guess at what kind of pax have already booked.