Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Old Nov 4, 2011, 1:46 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Hmmm. Any thoughts here:

I'm booked ORD-PVG on 11/18. I see that it's still J7 and the seatmap shows 14 seats unassigned. I'm in 31A already for my flight over so its not too bad, but I'd obviously prefer a J seat over even 31A for the long flight. Any thoughts as to my odds of an upgrade? Was hoping the Friday before Thanksgiving would be a pretty easy upgrade.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:10 am

had similar situation recently .. Called EXP desk ONE week before flight and J seat released.. Closer to flight time.. better your chances.. Looks good.. but DO NOT rely on seat map to give you indication of empty J seats...
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by RTW4
had similar situation recently .. Called EXP desk ONE week before flight and J seat released.. Closer to flight time.. better your chances.. Looks good.. but DO NOT rely on seat map to give you indication of empty J seats...
Yeah, I realize I shouldn't trust seatmap. Only mentioned it in combination with the EF info on J7. Good idea on calling EXP desk just to give it a try a week before flight. Also have a EF alert on it but realize its possible for C to be "available" and not trigger EF.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
J7 & C7 with Seat Map only Showing 4 Unassigned Seats

Checking my ORD-LHR (AA86) flight for today and seeing something I've rarely (if ever seen). EF shows J7 and C7, yet only 4 unassigned seats. In F it shows F2, X1, A1, but 10 unassigned seats. Looks like there's going to be a lot folks happily upgraded to F .. Unfortunately I'll be in Y since I've burnt my SWUs.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
MIA-MAD-MIA Upgrade Chances

I've never flown MIA-MAD-MIA on AA before, so I was hoping some FTers would have more experience. I have eVIPs pending for me & my SO on the following flights:

11/23 AA #68 MIA to MAD
11/28 AA #69 MAD to MIA

On ExpertFlyer:
#68 shows J7 R7 D7 I6 Y7 B7 H7 K7 G7 M7 L7 V1 S0 N0 Q0 O0
w/ 18 open seats in J
#69 shows J6 R6 D0 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 G7 M7 L7 V7 S7 N3 Q0 O0
w/ 15 open seats in J

With a little more than two weeks left till the flight, just wondering what FTers thought my chances are. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by cyncyn129; Nov 8, 2011 at 12:46 pm Reason: Additional information
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by cyncyn129
With a little more than two weeks left till the flight, just wondering what FTers thought my chances are. Thanks in advance!
I'm assuming you are asking about an eVIP or miles + copay upgrade and not an op-up.

Outbound looks much better than the return and I suspect you will clear that upgrade, especially since the I bucket (discounted Business) is still showing as I6.

With J6 on the return, that literally means AA is only willing to sell six seats at this time. Notice I is at zero. Since Y is still showing as Y7, it means coach is not in an oversell situation and empty J seats are not being blocked or held back. J6 is not a fun number for a PLT. Good luck!
Old Nov 8, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1 MM; Marriott Plat; Hertz 5*
I'm flying on AA 78 on Nov 23 from DFW-LHR. I don't have any status on AA, but using eVIP from a friend.

Booking Code is L

what are the chances of upgrade

thanks -
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Checking my ORD-LHR (AA86) flight for today and seeing something I've rarely (if ever seen). EF shows J7 and C7, yet only 4 unassigned seats. In F it shows F2, X1, A1, but 10 unassigned seats. Looks like there's going to be a lot folks happily upgraded to F .. Unfortunately I'll be in Y since I've burnt my SWUs.
Could just be AA blocking seats for another reason. As was mentioned to me above, setmaps aren't always the most reliable.

How will you ever survive Y? I'd be looking at Coupon Connection and rectifying that situation ASAP
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by jaykay0222
I'm flying on AA 78 on Nov 23 from DFW-LHR. I don't have any status on AA, but using eVIP from a friend.

Booking Code is L

what are the chances of upgrade

thanks -
Your flight is currently J7 R7 D7 I0, and Y7. Still being 2 weeks away, and with you at no status on AA, I think it's a slight possiblity. But things could easily change in the next 2 weeks and any Exp/Plat/Gold will be ahead of you in terms of eVIP upgrades, as well as anyone else with no status on an eVIP that requested the upgrade ahead of you.

Last year my no status Mom went DFW-LHR and I hoped to use an eVIP on her. Cabin seemed pretty open all the way up until a day before departure and then just filled right up and no upgrade for my Mom.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by sica4
I've read through this thread and couldn't help but think it is not terribly useful. It would be much easier if we could just go record the data and have all responses viewable in a summary format. I spent a few minutes on google docs and whipped up this form.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/view...LXUtV3V5OGc6MQ

Ideally over time we might be able to get a somewhat meaningful data set.

I haven't seen anything like this before on FT and wondered what people thought. I just made a new google account and would feel free to give any FTer who asked view access to the results. I would also give any of the mods edit access. If there is a reason something like this hasn't been done before, please let me know and I'll just edit it out.

**Update** I made the results publicly viewable without needing to register people individually.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...Gc&hl=en#gid=0

Safe travels,
I'm not sure how accurate this information is over a year later, but regardless I appreciate the effort involved. This kind of tool is exactly what I'm looking for.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Does AA typically not clear upgrades until the day of on the LAX-JFK-LAX route?

There are still a lot of seats but they are not clearing. The seats are dwindling by the hour, though
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:45 pm

Worried about LHR-ORD on a Tuesday

Has anyone ever flown from LHR-ORD on the Tuesday before Tgiving? I am booked to fly the 22nd @ 10.15AM on flight #87. EF is showing the following availability:

Code:
J3 R3 D0 I0 Y7 B7 G7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7
Should I be worried about these numbers when thinking of my upgrade? C is of course showing nothing available, too. Or should I consider switching to LHR-DFW, which departs a mere 30 minutes earlier and is on a 777 with much more availability.

Last edited by Doghound; Nov 9, 2011 at 8:30 pm
Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by Doghound
Has anyone ever flown from LHR-ORD on the Tuesday before Tgiving? I am booked to fly the 22nd @ 10.15AM on flight #87. EF is showing the following availability:

Code:
J3 R3 D0 I0 Y7 B7 G7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7
Should I be worried about these numbers when thinking of my upgrade? C is of course showing nothing available, too. Or should I consider switching to LHR-ORD, which departs a mere 30 minutes earlier and is on a 777 with much more availability.
There is no LHR-ORD that departs 30 min earlier. Did you mean another city?

Yeah I'd be worried too, but one never knows. Any penalty for you in changing flights? I would wait until it gets closer in to make the call. 47 leaves a few hours later and looks pretty open now. But we all know how that goes.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Does AA typically not clear upgrades until the day of on the LAX-JFK-LAX route?

There are still a lot of seats but they are not clearing. The seats are dwindling by the hour, though
Interesting that you ask this. Last Saturday on 181 JFK-LAX, 17 J seats were available at the 100 hr mark. For the next 95 1/2 hours J fluctuated between J 16 and J 17. EXP upgrade never cleared in the interim.

4 1/2 hours before the flight there was a massive dump of 16 J seats into R inventory. Of course this resulted in almost no one having a choice in seats since only one seat remained unoccupied.

I noticed at least two couples on the flight who were not seated together.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer_70
There is no LHR-ORD that departs 30 min earlier. Did you mean another city?

Yeah I'd be worried too, but one never knows. Any penalty for you in changing flights? I would wait until it gets closer in to make the call. 47 leaves a few hours later and looks pretty open now. But we all know how that goes.
I did... I mean ORD-DFW has a flight leaving 30 minutes earlier. I'll fix that in my original post. This is all booked on deep-discounted fares, so it'll be the standard $250 to move to another flight.

It was my bad to not check EF before booking, but nothing I can do about that now. Both Eplat reps and the AA fan page folks say that my chances are looking good for that flight, but J3 says otherwise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.