Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SFO777
Yet another why not T-100?
Friday's 7:00PM ORD-SJC AA 827 cleared at T-89. Purchased five days ago, connection from DTW. I was the only one upgraded this morning into a cabin that was consistently F7 A5 for a few days prior. Now showing 9/16 assigned, up from 8/16 prior to my upgrade.
Originally Posted by sts603
Could you please explain how that's dilution?
The window is T-100. This thread is full of numerous examples of AA RM not processing EXPs at T-100 in cases even when cabins are wide open. A late December SJC-DFW left with 6 open First seats and at least 40 in Y, yet my upgrade only cleared at T-78. What is the point of not processing at T-100 when you're not going to sell the seats? DL has no problem figuring out how many revenue seats they'll need, and at full T-6 days.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:45 am

Folks, any news regarding new gate upgrade policy? Or EXP Agent was wrong:

Months ago, I've booked AA12 for workday as part of intl travel. Requested upgrade. Now there is just one seat available in Business.

I've called EXP Desk with only question- how can I increase my chances to get to the top of upgrade request list at the gate. Agent's response - I should not worry about as I cannot affect the list at all, because my place in that list is based on upgrade request date.

I thought, it's based off 1.Status, 2. Domestic/Intl 3.Request date.
She said- my idea is old, and there's new policy- to go only by date.

Is it true?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Tries
Folks, any news regarding new gate upgrade policy? Or EXP Agent was wrong:

Months ago, I've booked AA12 for workday as part of intl travel. Requested upgrade. Now there is just one seat available in Business.

I've called EXP Desk with only question- how can I increase my chances to get to the top of upgrade request list at the gate. Agent's response - I should not worry about as I cannot affect the list at all, because my place in that list is based on upgrade request date.

Is it true?
yes. It's based on time of original upgrade request as of 2008. Because you booked it months ago and you're coming from SFO (where there's likely no connections), you're likely to be very high on the list.

As for when she said domestic/intl, basically, if you're a connecting passenger, you have higher priority over originating passenger.

Now here's my question-when you booked the reservation originally, were you an EXP at the time? If not, be sure to call and have them refresh your status in the system. Good luck w/ your upgrade
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by demkr
Now here's my question-when you booked the reservation originally, were you an EXP at the time? If not, be sure to call and have them refresh your status in the system. Good luck w/ your upgrade
So, that still means, 1. Status, 2. Date.

Otherwise you would not ask me if I was EXP at the time of booking.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by demkr
So, that still means, 1. Status, 2. Date.

Otherwise you would not ask me if I was EXP at the time of booking.
Yes it does go by status and then time/date of orig. Request. But reason I asked is that if you are platinum for example when you booked/requested upg, but have since made EXP, you would need to call and have that refreshed to make sure you are on list as EXP
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
The window is T-100. This thread is full of numerous examples of AA RM not processing EXPs at T-100 in cases even when cabins are wide open. A late December SJC-DFW left with 6 open First seats and at least 40 in Y, yet my upgrade only cleared at T-78. What is the point of not processing at T-100 when you're not going to sell the seats? DL has no problem figuring out how many revenue seats they'll need, and at full T-6 days.
First, you didn't answer the question. I asked where the benefit dilution is. I can at least see the argument if upgrades are clearing so much later that it affects seat selection. But T-100 vs. T-78, that argument fails completely.

Second, while AA does at times seem excessively conservative BUT I wouldn't look to DL as a good indicator as to revenue management. There are many times that one can't buy F on DL well in advance of a flight on routes where it is almost certain that is not due to paying F demand.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT

Is it true?
Yes and no. Yes, request date is important, but still within your elite queue. For example, a PLT books a flight 4 months in advance and requests an upgrade, then an EXP books a seat on the same flight two weeks out, the EXP moves ahead of the PLT.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sts603
There are many times that one can't buy F on DL well in advance of a flight on routes where it is almost certain that is not due to paying F demand.
With no apparent status on DL and therefore very little DL travel, how would you actually know what one can or can't do on DL? I fly them as much as AA and, in spite of DL clearing upgrades at or before the window, there are almost always one or two revenue seats available for purchase prior to every D flight. To suggest that one can't buy an F seat on DL "well in advance of a flight" is total nonsense.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
You conveniently choose to ignore the fact the DL does ZERO advance upgrades on transcons, preferring a slugfest at the gate. I'll take AA's upgrade policy anytime, thank you very much.

To hear so much .....ing about upgrades at T-89 or T-78 is truly astonishing to me. YMMV.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by vasantn
To hear so much .....ing about upgrades at T-89 or T-78 is truly astonishing to me. YMMV.
Some people just like to whine about anything they can find an excuse to whine about regardless of the fact it doesn't matter what little bit
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:54 pm
Suspended

With no apparent status on DL and therefore very little DL travel, how would you actually know what one can or can't do on DL? I fly them as much as AA and, in spite of DL clearing upgrades at or before the window, there are almost always one or two revenue seats available for purchase prior to every D flight. To suggest that one can't buy an F seat on DL "well in advance of a flight" is total nonsense.
First of all anyone with EF access can look at DL flights x hours out and compare to AA. Second I have had status on DL. Third, discuss with best friend who is a Diamond on a frequent basis. Fourth, one F seat - hardly sufficient inventory....
Old Jan 13, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by vasantn
Agreed... although "astonishing" isn't the first word that popped into my head.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Hilton UA Hyatt
I know there's been talk about holding back on upgrades, but I'm a bit perplexed on this one. Flying SFO-JFK on Jan 17 in the 763. 14 open seats on Expert Flyer, 7F , 6A, 0Z available. I'm within the 100 hour window, weather is supposed to be perfect in SFO and JFK between now and flight date. Seems odd that my upgrade as Explat would not have cleared now. I've definitely cleared with a lot less availability on 762 in the past. Any thoughts? Just really curious if there's any sort of rhyme or reason. I actually cleared on the way out at 100 hour window early this week ahead of the perceived big snow storm on Wednesday and less inventory available. Seems odd, no?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Odds on AA2350

Are we doing the odds calculations here still? Any takers on my chances with AA 2350 (DFW-ORD on a 772) on a Tuesday as EXP (booked 2 weeks in advance)? thanks. The "J" cabin is already half full which indicates a lot of elites.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:08 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by phazedowt
Are we doing the odds calculations here still? Any takers on my chances with AA 2350 (DFW-ORD on a 772) on a Tuesday as EXP (booked 2 weeks in advance)? thanks. The "J" cabin is already half full which indicates a lot of elites.
I don't know about this specific one but I did JFK-MIA last year on 772 booked a couple of months in advance and I did not clear. It was one of three failures I had last year as EXP. I am guessing most elites on the route will know it's the nice plane and try to utilize it. Of course sitting in intl J product is pretty nice for a domestic leg anyway

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.