Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I wouldn't give up if they still have J Award availability. They're obviously not sold out. I have had 4/10 of my SWU clear at the gate this year (the rest before hand ), but observing the number of J awards the day before it made sense.
Oh, I haven't given up. I'm just pointing out that I am not confident that it will clear at this point. Coming out of FCO last month I cleared 18 hours in advance of the flight. Another EXP on the flight didn't clear, but the woman sitting next to me was a lower status passenger upgraded with her husband's eVIPs... he was not on the flight, and she was cleared 6 hours out (leaving another EXP without the upgrade).

That's not confidence building....
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
I'm Gold on Delta and not familar one bit with AA's upgrade system, other than the 500 mile stickers. My fiance is Gold on AA and would like to upgrade TUL-DFW and DFW-DEN. We purchased 6 500 mile upgrades and have requested them, yet I can not seem to find "X" availablity on expertflyer, even though were within two days of her flights. Her flights are on the 23rd, so if space is available, would she clear tomorrow?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:59 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by turnpike17
I'm Gold on Delta and not familar one bit with AA's upgrade system, other than the 500 mile stickers. My fiance is Gold on AA and would like to upgrade TUL-DFW and DFW-DEN. We purchased 6 500 mile upgrades and have requested them, yet I can not seem to find "X" availablity on expertflyer, even though were within two days of her flights. Her flights are on the 23rd, so if space is available, would she clear tomorrow?
X Inventory is not publiched on EF until 24 hours before flight time, which is also when thee Gold upgrade window opens.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:29 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by turnpike17
Her flights are on the 23rd, so if space is available, would she clear tomorrow?
Depends on how much space is available. If it's wide open, she may clear. If she doesn't, make sure she tells the ticketing/check-in agent or the gate agent that she wants to be added to the airport upgrade list. She can also add herself to the list via AA.com or kiosk check-in.

(Due to AA's old IT systems, the existing upgrade list does not automatically transfer over to the airport.)

AAgents usually start clearing the upgrade list as early as one-hour before the flight. (Could still vary...if the flight is wide open, then the AAgents will clear upgrades and stand-bys pretty early. If there are irrops, then they may wait all the way until boarding time to work the lists.)
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:29 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Thanks for the info guys!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:24 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
If the OP gets upgraded while wife and son are in the back, he won't be married long either
I guess it depends upon the equality one has in their marriage. We sometimes split. Almost always get both. If not, and we get one, we take turns sitting up front. And no marriage is ending. We consider ourselves equal partners in this.

Cheers.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Daughter, a GLD on AA 4586 CLT-LGA on 23 Nov.
Cleared at 22 hours

Still 3 unassigned seats.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kgdg
I just called to request all of us to be split, and the agent said for eVIP's that is how the system will do it anyway regardless of how they are requested (combined or split).
The combined request works only for electronic upgrades (like the sticker upgrades on domestic), but for eVIPs, even if i request it combined (meaning I request that I want to be upgraded only if all of us are getting upgraded), the system will still do it individually...

That is new information to me, is this true? That contradicts everything I have seen posted here and makes this whole conversation moot...

KG
I didn't see a response to this yet, I am curious if this is true as well....
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by gutterman
I didn't see a response to this yet, I am curious if this is true as well....
Not in my experience.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Looks like 8 seats open still in F (MD-83), upgrade has still not cleared and flight is in 5 hours (DFW-SAN)....Frustrating!!!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by SR20kads
Looks like 8 seats open still in F ... DFW-SAN ... Frustrating!!!
At least you see open seats. Try MIA-LAX and vice versa. Based on my experience, that route's become a real stinker even for EXP upgrades.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Looks like 8 seats open still in F (MD-83), upgrade has still not cleared and flight is in 5 hours (DFW-SAN)....Frustrating!!!
Well, upgrades cleared about 4.5 hours before flight...Happy about that but why do they always split me and my wife up - even when there were at least two pairs of seats together?!!!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:29 pm

why do they always split ... there were at least two pairs of seats together?!!!
At least you were upgraded. Try...
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by KtownTraveler
At least you see open seats. Try MIA-LAX and vice versa. Based on my experience, that route's become a real stinker even for EXP upgrades.
I'm Plat, fly this route 8-10x a year, and am 100% with the exception of Thanksgiving weekends (and this Thanksgiving weekend is looking unlikely). I always take a widebody flight.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
I'm Plat, fly this route 8-10x a year, and am 100% with the exception of Thanksgiving weekends (and this Thanksgiving weekend is looking unlikely). I always take a widebody flight.
I'm EXP, and have missed the upgrade, in one direction or the other, three times in the last six weeks. On both the 757 and the 763. It's already clear that I'll miss another one next week. Last time I missed there was practically an EXP back-of-the-bus party centered around the exit rows. The EXP desk says my experience is not uncommon, and recommends that I start burning SWUs on this particular transcon. But I prefer to save my SWUs for TATL travel. Y here I come again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.