Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum, OneWorld Sapphire
Upgrade Chances

I currently have Gold status with AA. I will be flying on AA 1775 (JFK - MIA) on Sunday, 03 October. The scheduled equipment for the flight is a 757. Right now I see row 9 fully occupied, row 10 with one seat available, and rows 17 and 18 completely empty (except for my seat, 18C). I know it may be too early to determine, but what are my chances of scoring an upgrade on this segment?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by citizenoftheworld
I currently have Gold status with AA. I will be flying on AA 1775 (JFK - MIA) on Sunday, 03 October. The scheduled equipment for the flight is a 757. Right now I see row 9 fully occupied, row 10 with one seat available, and rows 17 and 18 completely empty (except for my seat, 18C). I know it may be too early to determine, but what are my chances of scoring an upgrade on this segment?
You forgot to mention how full F is!

...I just reread your post and realized it's Oct 3, not Sep 3. Yes, way to early to determine assuming your upgrade instrument is stickers. If you are intending to use mileage and copay to upgrade, you should call AA to see if there is A inventory now.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, OneWorld Sapphire
Upgrade Chances

Originally Posted by beerup

...I just reread your post and realized it's Oct 3, not Sep 3. Yes, way to early to determine assuming your upgrade instrument is stickers. If you are intending to use mileage and copay to upgrade, you should call AA to see if there is A inventory now.
I sure did, didn't I? I took a quick look on AA.com and it looks like F class availability at the moment is 11 out of 16 seats (5 seats reserved). My goal is to use three stickers to upgrade to F, but I am concerned about all the PLT/EXP crowd in this route.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 9:59 am

I sure did, didn't I? I took a quick look on AA.com and it looks like F class availability at the moment is 11 out of 16 seats (5 seats reserved). My goal is to use three stickers to upgrade to F, but I am concerned about all the PLT/EXP crowd in this route.
Nope. You didn't. You can even check that yourself by reading your old post.

It's hard to tell, because the ones who buy F will probably be buying near the last minute, since money is clearly not a big issue for them. And with a whole month left, you don't know if any PLTs/EXPs will start buying into rows 17/18 and land ahead of you in the queue.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:17 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
It's hard to tell, because the ones who buy F will probably be buying near the last minute, since money is clearly not a big issue for them. And with a whole month left, you don't know if any PLTs/EXPs will start buying into rows 17/18 and land ahead of you in the queue.
Agreed - conventional wisdom here is that NYC-MIA/MIA-NYC upgrade chances depend heavily on when cruise ships are departing/returning. Definitely keep an eye on the Preferred Seats (so you know what your competition for sticker upgrades is) as well as the F cabin or, better yet, F inventory (usual caveats about seatmap ≠ F availability apply).
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Originally Posted by yuchung5
upcoming flight for ORD-SFO this coming Sunday. Based on seatmap, only 2 F available now. I guess I am going to miss the upgrade. So if I miss it, my upgrade successful rate will be 50%(2/4) as an EXP this year.
45 min before departure.
Based on seatmap, which I know should be for reference only, only 1 F left. I am number 3 on the upgrade list. I am going to miss the upgrade. Looks that checked in 24 hrs mark does not help. So 50% upgrade successful rate this year so far. Does there any one get any lower than me?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by yuchung5
45 min before departure.
Based on seatmap, which I know should be for reference only, only 1 F left. I am number 3 on the upgrade list. I am going to miss the upgrade. Looks that checked in 24 hrs mark does not help. So 50% upgrade successful rate this year so far. Does there any one get any lower than me?
-Check in does not matter at all for sticker upgrades--it's based on original time of request.
-Thru passengers have priority over originating passengers.

ORD-SFO is very hard because its a fairly popular route that just endured a capacity cut. Originating instead of connecting will put you behind all connecting pax within your status who request upgrades.

Example:

I'm EXP and I book LGA-ORD-SFO a week before departure. You're EXP and you book ORD-SFO 4 months ago. I'm above you on the priority list because I'm connecting in Chicago. Hope that makes sense.

#1613 seems to be quite difficult as of late. I'm resigned to sitting in Y the day after labor day on this flight.

Last edited by demkr; Aug 29, 2010 at 1:22 pm
Old Aug 29, 2010, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
Agreed - conventional wisdom here is that NYC-MIA/MIA-NYC upgrade chances depend heavily on when cruise ships are departing/returning. Definitely keep an eye on the Preferred Seats (so you know what your competition for sticker upgrades is) as well as the F cabin or, better yet, F inventory (usual caveats about seatmap ≠ F availability apply).
Agreed again on that logic. I was just on DFW-SEA and most of F, and most of Y, were people getting ready to go on a cruise. I barely cleared at the gate, but my wife didn't. There were 7 wheelchairs and tons of hard-case wheeled bags in bright colors.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
LAX-MIA Upgrade Changes?

Do most Exec Plats generally get upgraded on the LAX-MIA trip? I'm going there in November, and just wondering what days and times are generally easy to upgrade. I don't have any VIPs left, so I'm relying on the complimentary upgrade.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by chrisinacton
Do most Exec Plats generally get upgraded on the LAX-MIA trip? I'm going there in November, and just wondering what days and times are generally easy to upgrade. I don't have any VIPs left, so I'm relying on the complimentary upgrade.
I am Platinum. I got about 1/2 of my trips upgraded (using stickers) on 6 trips (i.e. 3 LAX-MIA round trips) in July.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
Thanks...so you're telling me there's a chance.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
No you did not. Good luck with your upgrade. I'm so sorry that people who travel more than you/have more status may "steal" your seat. As a part of that EXP "CROWD" I .... Like I said good luck.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Aug 29, 2010 at 8:29 pm
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:19 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by beerup
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Nope. You didn't. You can even check that yourself by reading your old post.
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
No you did not.
Before anyone else piles on, I'm pretty sure that citizenoftheworld meant, "[Yes,] I sure did [forget], didn't I?" That's pretty apparent in rereading the post above, which proceeds to provide the requested info about the F cabin.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by dstan
Before anyone else piles on, I'm pretty sure that citizenoftheworld meant, "[Yes,] I sure did [forget], didn't I?" That's pretty apparent in rereading the post above, which proceeds to provide the requested info about the F cabin.
hehe... wow. I guess that's one way of reading it (probably the right way). What a difference a properly placed word makes in clarifying things, doesn't it?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Originally Posted by demkr
-Check in does not matter at all for sticker upgrades--it's based on original time of request.
-Thru passengers have priority over originating passengers.

ORD-SFO is very hard because its a fairly popular route that just endured a capacity cut. Originating instead of connecting will put you behind all connecting pax within your status who request upgrades.

Example:

I'm EXP and I book LGA-ORD-SFO a week before departure. You're EXP and you book ORD-SFO 4 months ago. I'm above you on the priority list because I'm connecting in Chicago. Hope that makes sense.

#1613 seems to be quite difficult as of late. I'm resigned to sitting in Y the day after labor day on this flight.
I might need some education here. Why connecting flight has high priority in terms of upgrade?

Thanks

yuchung5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.