Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

 

Old Aug 26, 10, 5:04 pm
  #1246  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,401
Originally Posted by rayfes View Post
In another thread I remember being told not to expect an upgrade if EF shows F0 even there are several seats available. I supposed this is because there are people that are in F but don't have a seat assignment?
Actually, you were likely told exactly the opposite. This situation usually happens when there is a Y oversell and they hold the F seats against he oversell. Invariably, those seats are filled with upgraders, just as you saw. If I don't get upgraded early, I very much like this situation as it's always led to upgrades for us.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Aug 26, 10, 5:40 pm
  #1247  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: TPE, MNL
Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Posts: 964
upcoming flight for ORD-SFO this coming Sunday. Based on seatmap, only 2 F available now. I guess I am going to miss the upgrade. So if I miss it, my upgrade successful rate will be 50%(2/4) as an EXP this year.
yuchung5 is offline  
Old Aug 26, 10, 5:48 pm
  #1248  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: OKC/DFW
Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Posts: 9,998
Originally Posted by yuchung5 View Post
upcoming flight for ORD-SFO this coming Sunday. Based on seatmap, only 2 F available now. I guess I am going to miss the upgrade. So if I miss it, my upgrade successful rate will be 50%(2/4) as an EXP this year.
Thursday evening is a little early to be giving up on a Sunday upgrade. One never knows if others will cancel or misconnect (not that I'm wishing anyone else bad luck, even on your behalf.) I'll admit it looks a bit bleak, but were it me, I'd still be cautiously hopeful.
oklAAhoma is offline  
Old Aug 26, 10, 8:26 pm
  #1249  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 8,278
Originally Posted by yuchung5 View Post
upcoming flight for ORD-SFO this coming Sunday. Based on seatmap, only 2 F available now. I guess I am going to miss the upgrade. So if I miss it, my upgrade successful rate will be 50%(2/4) as an EXP this year.
I'm 100% as an EXP this year including several that look bleak. Unless you're booking close in, my experience is that EXP upgrades clear in the end.
sts603 is offline  
Old Aug 26, 10, 8:30 pm
  #1250  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: TPE, MNL
Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Posts: 964
Originally Posted by sts603 View Post
I'm 100% as an EXP this year including several that look bleak. Unless you're booking close in, my experience is that EXP upgrades clear in the end.
I booked the ticket on 8/2 for 8/29 flight. For now, my upgrade successful rate is 67%(2/3). I missed LAX-ORD red eye in April. Personally, I don't think I will make it this time.
yuchung5 is offline  
Old Aug 26, 10, 9:06 pm
  #1251  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 107
JFK-LAX Saturday Night Upgrade Chances

I'm going to be flying JFK-LAX (AA 185), the 9PM departure from New York next month. Right now C is completely empty. Does anyone have any experience upgrading on this flight? I'm trying to use stickers to upgrade for myself (PLT) and wife (GLD). Thanks.
flightline87 is offline  
Old Aug 26, 10, 10:17 pm
  #1252  
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Posts: 10,490
Originally Posted by flightline87 View Post
I'm going to be flying JFK-LAX (AA 185), the 9PM departure from New York next month. Right now C is completely empty. Does anyone have any experience upgrading on this flight? I'm trying to use stickers to upgrade for myself (PLT) and wife (GLD). Thanks.
Flying on a Sat night, with J (as we call it on AA) empty, I'd say you should have a pretty good shot.
dstan is offline  
Old Aug 27, 10, 11:42 am
  #1253  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca., USA
Programs: AA Ex Plat; SPG Plat; MR Plat;Hyatt Diamond; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Posts: 5,596
Hi;

First Year Exec Plat (and probably last unless I can figure this out) -

I have Evips to burn but it seems that there isn't any available on the LAX-LHR non-stop. Historically, travelling international on Thanksgiving day was not a hard day for availability (but I haven't tried it for a few years).

I wouldn't go if the EVIP didn't clear. Any tips - or if someone can point me to a more focussed thread on the issue, I'm happy to continue researching.

(I'm not wedding to Thanksgiving but would prefer before year end if I"m to make ExPlat again).

Cheers
Barry
beachfan is offline  
Old Aug 27, 10, 7:46 pm
  #1254  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: AA ex-Plat
Posts: 425
LAN Op-Up for AA Plat?

i'm considering flying a revenue ticket JFK-YYZ on LAN in october. right now, business on the 763 is wide open, except for the regular blocked seats. does anyone have experience with op-ups for AA PLT on this particular route and what the chances are?

i realize that LA532 is a short flight, and that economy on a 763 is better than economy on a regional jet, but, hey, if i can get it, then why not?

what are the services, if anything above beverages only, on this flight?

also, i got conflicting information when calling AA regarding mileage earning. the ticket on LAN would be in Q class -- which typically doesn't earn AA miles -- but the earning chart on aa.com says that Q class international (non-intra-south america) earns AA miles. any advice or experience on this -- the AAgent said that it looked like it would earn full miles.

thx in advance. b.
btwayland is offline  
Old Aug 27, 10, 8:04 pm
  #1255  
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; SPG Platinum
Posts: 1,012
Originally Posted by btwayland View Post
i'm considering flying a revenue ticket JFK-YYZ on LAN in october. right now, business on the 763 is wide open, except for the regular blocked seats. does anyone have experience with op-ups for AA PLT on this particular route and what the chances are?

i realize that LA532 is a short flight, and that economy on a 763 is better than economy on a regional jet, but, hey, if i can get it, then why not?

what are the services, if anything above beverages only, on this flight?

also, i got conflicting information when calling AA regarding mileage earning. the ticket on LAN would be in Q class -- which typically doesn't earn AA miles -- but the earning chart on aa.com says that Q class international (non-intra-south america) earns AA miles. any advice or experience on this -- the AAgent said that it looked like it would earn full miles.

thx in advance. b.
The way I read the LAN rules, you should get 100% mileage. This is based on
International (outside South America) G, N, O, Q, S 100%
It also looks like you are eligible for the 500 miles min
500-mile minimum does not apply to LAN Ecuador flights between Quito and Guayaquil, Ecuador. These flights do not have a minimum mileage guarantee.
and if you have status, you should get the proper bonus.

Good luck,
Sagy is offline  
Old Aug 28, 10, 12:37 am
  #1256  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LAX/LHR
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 294
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
Hi;

First Year Exec Plat (and probably last unless I can figure this out) -

I have Evips to burn but it seems that there isn't any available on the LAX-LHR non-stop. Historically, travelling international on Thanksgiving day was not a hard day for availability (but I haven't tried it for a few years).

I wouldn't go if the EVIP didn't clear. Any tips - or if someone can point me to a more focussed thread on the issue, I'm happy to continue researching.

(I'm not wedding to Thanksgiving but would prefer before year end if I"m to make ExPlat again).

Cheers
Barry
I flew LHR-LAX on Thanksgiving Day last year and cleared the upgrade when I booked the flight in April. The flight ended up being pretty full in coach but there were a few empty seats in business. Not sure how full the flight was going the other direction later that night but the agents at both the BA and AA lounge said loads tended to be quite light on flights coming into London from the states the day after Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Nick90274; Aug 28, 10 at 12:46 am
Nick90274 is offline  
Old Aug 28, 10, 12:53 am
  #1257  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New England
Programs: United 1K, Delta SM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 6,231
Originally Posted by yuchung5 View Post
upcoming flight for ORD-SFO this coming Sunday. Based on seatmap, only 2 F available now. I guess I am going to miss the upgrade. So if I miss it, my upgrade successful rate will be 50%(2/4) as an EXP this year.
2 seats available also on my 9/7 flight ORD-SFO #1613.

But you never know, sometimes there are no shows and full fare passengers have flexibility.

ORD-SFO has been reported by some FTers as a pretty tough upgrade because capacity was cut literally this Monday to all 737 service. Before the 23rd, there was one widebody that would go out daily.

However, on Nov. 18th, the late night flight/redeye numbered 1523/1522 will be 757. Nevertheless good luck for your upgrade!
demkr is offline  
Old Aug 28, 10, 12:59 am
  #1258  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New England
Programs: United 1K, Delta SM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 6,231
deleted
demkr is offline  
Old Aug 28, 10, 8:54 am
  #1259  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Posts: 699
Originally Posted by dstan View Post
Excellent, thanks! Glad to see you are getting so many contributions! Would be great to see some stats when you have a chance.
Ask and ye shall receive...

Let me preface by saying not a ton of data points for this to be too significant so take it all with a grain of salt. The responses were only supposed to be for 'sticker' upgrades so I threw out some responses that were in obviously violation of this (e.g. comment said EVIP, destination airport was LHR, etc). There are roughly 160 EXP responses, 90 PLT, and 40 GLD entries counted in here.

Start with straight upgrade percentage by status (unsurprisingly):


Another pretty clear trend is your travel day, are you PLT or GLD and want more first class action? Try booking on the weekend:


Also took a look at the departure airport to see if that had an impact. LGA looks pretty brutal for GLDs:


Took one last look at upgrades by status/ticket purchase time. Numbers were a little thinner here since this field was optional. I think I might have to wait for more responses before this graph means anything.
sica4 is offline  
Old Aug 28, 10, 2:23 pm
  #1260  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: IND
Programs: AA Plat + 1.98 MM
Posts: 354
Any C availability on 292 ORD-DEL on 9/11?

I have a possible trip to New Delhi coming up. Is there any C availability on 292 ORD->DEL on 9/11? I'd like to cash in a SWU for that.
aspex is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread